Looking for headphone matching my criteria
Dec 29, 2008 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

iareConfusE

100+ Head-Fier
I used the search function, couldn't find anything with the criteria I have, so here it is:

Closed, circumaural (forgot this in original post!)
Light-weight
Great external sound attenuation (ex. airplane engine)
Clamping force that isn't painful after an hour (ex. HD-280)
Portability is a plus
~$100 +- $20

I've looked everywhere for headphones that meet this criteria but can't seem to find any that match all, but only ones that match a couple at the heavy expense of others. So I'm looking for one to magically match all of those, or at least balance them well. Thanks.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by iareConfusE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the search function, couldn't find anything with the criteria I have, so here it is:

Closed
Light-weight
Great external sound attenuation (ex. airplane engine)
Clamping force that isn't painful after an hour (ex. HD-280)
Portability is a plus
~$100 +- $20

I've looked everywhere for headphones that meet this criteria but can't seem to find any that match all, but only ones that match a couple at the heavy expense of others. So I'm looking for one to magically match all of those, or at least balance them well. Thanks.

The Sennheiser HD25-1 II is the answer to all of your requirements, except one - expect to pay $200 for a new one.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 8
You are looking for the impossible, to obtain good isolation you MUST have the clamping force. The Senn offerings are already the best when it comes to a comprise in that area. So you'll need to decide if you want comfort or isolation. That's one of the reasons IEMs are superior to portable headphones when it comes to portable usage.

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 8
An IEM will fit your needs.

As for closed headphones, you really don't have much to chose from. Senn HD25-1, or AKG k271?

Dec 29, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audiotechnica ATH A700

118.00 w/shipping

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATH-A700 Closed-Back Dynamic Headphones With Double Air Damping: Electronics

Yeah the A700's were on my list, but even though they are closed, I know the AT's just don't clamp down enough to attenuate sound well enough.

Also, not looking for an IEM. The headphones are for my dad, and he doesn't really feel comfortable shoving IEMs into his ear canal. What about noise cancelling headphones if I can't have good noise attenuation with headphones that don't clamp hard? My dad's not really an audiophile, so he just needs something that works at home and on an airplane or other noisy environments.

I'll check out the other models you guys suggested, thanks.

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #7 of 8
jvc has700
small, sounds decent, great isolation

Dec 29, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #8 of 8
Sennheiser does make a few closed headphones with noise canceling targeted at people flying on planes. The sad thing though is they are pricey! WAY above 100$us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back