Looking for Headfier help in China- Shanghai
Oct 4, 2005 at 5:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ScubaSteve87

1000+ Head-Fier
I already posted about this in Amps, but now my quest has expanded beyond the realm of amplification. My dad is going to be in China, specifically Shanghai in about 2 weeks. I have seen a lot of posts about quailty Chinese amps and DAC's (companies like Original and Lite). The only problem is the stuff is hard to come by and expensive to import to the US. Is there any headfier in China or Shanghai that could help me track down a place to buy some gear. I am looking for approx $200 USD each on amp and DAC. It would be nice if I could find a place for my dad to go and buy an amp and/or a DAC, or even better get them delivered to his hotel (he doesn't speak any Chinese, but has been to Shanghai 5 or 6 times). I am just hopeing that I can get a good deal by having him buy it.

Oct 4, 2005 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 21
Although very much a backwater, metropolitan, highly globalized and increasingly insular city, Shanghai's hi-fi industry is actually quite advanced. I'm running on the assumption that your father knows at least the major landmarks and shopping centers of the city (if he doesn't, the man has no business doing headphone shopping there
biggrin.gif
).
Tell him to go to the big Gang Hui mall in the Xu Jia Hui area and go to the top floor. On one side there's a menagerie of audio stores - most are selling speakers. If he walks among them long enough, there are a couple of dealers stocking high-end headphones and some pretty impressive amps. One store in back was particularly impressive, with a selection including the K1000 for around 6000 RMB and some Marantz stuff.
Shopping in authorized stores might be more expensive if you're buying headphones (amps are a different story) but it's preferable to getting a lowered price from some random shop because of the rampant fakes in China. Also, if you take into account the fact that your dad can't haggle as he doesn't speak Mandarin, or Shanghainese - which is preferable - the higher end stores are the only real option.
Pricing is surprisingly fair. Some brands are slightly marked up (Koss), but others (Alessandro and Sennheiser) are actually a bit below msrp in the US.

Hope that helped!

Oct 4, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 21
While he's in Xu Jia Hui tell him to also check out the third floor (or fourth? It's on the floor with a bunch of cell phone stores visible from the escalators) of Mei Ruo Cheng, it has a big audio area with lots of home audio and headphones. Not too many portable amps though.

Oct 4, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienPyro
Although very much a backwater, metropolitan, highly globalized and increasingly insular city, Shanghai's hi-fi industry is actually quite advanced. I'm running on the assumption that your father knows at least the major landmarks and shopping centers of the city (if he doesn't, the man has no business doing headphone shopping there
biggrin.gif
).
Tell him to go to the big Gang Hui mall in the Xu Jia Hui area and go to the top floor. On one side there's a menagerie of audio stores - most are selling speakers. If he walks among them long enough, there are a couple of dealers stocking high-end headphones and some pretty impressive amps. One store in back was particularly impressive, with a selection including the K1000 for around 6000 RMB and some Marantz stuff.
Shopping in authorized stores might be more expensive if you're buying headphones (amps are a different story) but it's preferable to getting a lowered price from some random shop because of the rampant fakes in China. Also, if you take into account the fact that your dad can't haggle as he doesn't speak Mandarin, or Shanghainese - which is preferable - the higher end stores are the only real option.
Pricing is surprisingly fair. Some brands are slightly marked up (Koss), but others (Alessandro and Sennheiser) are actually a bit below msrp in the US.

Hope that helped!

that place in Xu Jia Hui is EXPENSIVE! everything is overpriced through the roof! I have nothing but bad experience shopping there. Don't speak chinese? you better just buy through a headfier here on the forum or form Cattylink (sp?). Better suport, better (maybe) product, and most of all english speaking
biggrin.gif

Oct 4, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
Xu Jia Hui is also a great area for all electronics, cheap mp3s, cameras, etc

uh...you may need to define "cheap" I find their price about 15-30% higher than I can get at newegg. Took me forever just to get a store to lower their price to match newegg! WT!@#! Unless you get your trip reimbursed for these things, I would shop elsewhere.

Oct 4, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #8 of 21
Well I am actually looking for the Original Master headphone amp or the Lite DAC-AH. Or maybe there are other amps/dac's at this pricepoint from China that I should be looking at? I am still wondering if all the hassel is worth it. I know I will save 30-50 bucks on shipping, but I would still like to find prices below MSRP in the states

Oct 4, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
how about a tube amp?

http://www.little-tube.com/chinese/product.htm

You could also pick up a little dot micro portable amp for the equivalent of $15 US like me
biggrin.gif
Ordering it from here in the States it costs like $77!

Hmm i already have a cmoy, so I don't really need another protable amp, but at 15 bucks? why not

Oct 4, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Yeah it's not really cheap. A 512mb Ipod Shuffle costs 980 RMB (last time I checked ~ 3 weeks ago) which comes out to roughly 120 USD. Odd since the Ipod factory is located in Shanghai...

Well those iProfits have to sail over to Cupertino.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 5, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

how about a tube amp?

http://www.little-tube.com/chinese/product.htm

You could also pick up a little dot micro portable amp for the equivalent of $15 US like me
biggrin.gif
Ordering it from here in the States it costs like $77!

little DOT is DIY amp on the Chinese forum. so you probably won't find it in stores...I didn't at least.

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #14 of 21
You can by Little Dot amps in some Shenzhen if I read the website correctly.
I was just in China for three months on a vacation, and I ordered an LD Micro direct for 128 RMB + 15RMB quick ground shipping.

Oct 5, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

You can by Little Dot amps in some Shenzhen if I read the website correctly.
I was just in China for three months on a vacation, and I ordered an LD Micro direct for 128 RMB + 15RMB quick ground shipping.

Is that all you got?
smily_headphones1.gif
time to fess up to everthing you lugged back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back