Looking for HD650 Amp.(musical fidelity M1 HPA?)
Dec 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ucsfprds

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I would to like to hear your opinion about which amp to get with HD650s.  I mainly listen to rock and electronica music and would want an amp to enhance those types of music.
On a related note, I went to my local high end audio store today and listened on musical fidelity's M1 HPA, that thing is a dream with crazy silence on high volume.  Does anyone on this forum recommend this amp or perhaps a better one?

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 9
I prefer tube amps with the HD650...what is your price range?

Dec 29, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #3 of 9
Mike(aka Pink Floyd) over at Rock Grotto is blowing bubbles about the Panda amp here: http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=m&action=display&thread=5700
He's a long time MF head amp modification guy and has been totally put off by MF recently (check out his rant on the M1 thread).. 
IF you aren't DIY oriented, and are located in the UK, he might even build a Panda for you..

Dec 30, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 9
I am using a GS-1. It's a bit more in price but it works well with my HD650. Try that or one of its cousins from that company. Their stuff seems to work well on most cans from what I have read. By mid-next year, I will hopefully try it on K702 for a comparison. :)

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 9
Not to blow the fotm horn, but I've been running a Valhalla for about 4 days, and I've never heard my HD650's sound sooo good.

Know this, the amp is cold as schiit when first turned on, and need about 2~3 days of burn it, on the third day it really comes alive in full force!

I'm coming from a XcanV3 (pinkfloyd modded) I've been running for close to 8 years. A few days ago I though the Xcan sounded better than this Valhalla.

But this Valhalla now walks all over the Xcan.

Good luck in your search.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 9
woo audio 6-se 

Aug 5, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 9
I've listened to the X-Can V3 against the M1 HPA extensively and can tell you that the M1 is in a different league - especially when (they're both) partnered with the M1 DAC. 

As for PinkFloyd - I agree with his rant against waste and just picked up a vintage amp to save it (along with some Dali Blue 2002 speakers), but when he says stuff like "I think it's a backward step, just like digital TV [..]" you have to commend him for his ostrichness.

The X-Cans headphone amp sold in spades. As the design evolved, the initial Loaded/Maxim-buyer's push for this amp ended, and MF found they had a small audience for headphone amps. The V3 gained a bit more press than the V2, but the V8 barely any, and as such, while the core components did improve (for instance X-Ray V3 vs X-Ray V8 CDP, the M1 series is really half-way to serious Naim territory rather than a renamed V9.

I can only suggest it's worth not only an audition but a purchase - I came wanting to hate it and loved it - 9 months later I'm still saving coins. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back