Looking for HD-497 sent up to Canada
Apr 16, 2002 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rei

New Head-Fier
Apologies in advance if this should be in Buy/Sale forum, but I figured I'd need to solicit advice on WHERE to buy one first.

I've found a pair for $44US at etronics.com, but conversion to Canadian $ turns it into $75-ish + $30 whole bucks for s/h and $10 bucks for tax, well $110 is pretty steep.

Still, it may be what I have to pay if I can't find anywhere else, or I may just have to paypal a friend to send it on up.
frown.gif

Any hints, or tips or pointers in the general direction would be appreciated. (Have a pair of HD-495s but they are WOEFULLY underpowered coming from PC sound card or MD portable)

Administrators, feel free to let me know if this isn't the right forum, and/or move the post. Anyone with something to add, you're also welcome to private-message me. Thanks, kindly.

Apr 16, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #2 of 7
(This is the right forum btw, the moderators don't bite
wink.gif
)

Well, if you are wanting headphones that can be powered by a low powered source, the HD497 isn't really one of them... maybe you should try and get an amplifier or something.

Apr 17, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 7
I'd second that motion. The 497's, though great headphones, tend to be built poorly. You're 495's will last you much longer than any pair of 497's will. You would be better off getting an amp from JMT, and if you have patience, he will probably have no problem with building an amp for you and sending it to Canada. He's shipped them to much further places than that before.

Apr 17, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 7
i just need something cheap for my portable and pc sound card (game-wise, mp3-wise everything is fine on pc, except for the dvd being REALLY low for some reaosn)

granted, $110 canadian is not cheap

but the product page mentions "High-efficiency drivers, great for use with portable audio devices" (not sure about its impedence or whatever and how it would compare to my 495)

it's not that i'm worried if i can get an amp up here, it's the associated cost after s/h and exchange
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 17, 2002 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 7
The 497's look like $20 headphones. A JMT is worth more than any headphone you are going to get at that price. The Grado SR-60's are lesser 'phones than a properly amped 495/497 and the 497 is simply a cheaply made POS whose only good attribute is that it sounds good. But, it is somewhat uncomfortable, much more so than your 495, and the 495 looks more like a $150 headphone than the 497. To put it this way, the 497 is a cheap, spacy-looking Wal-Mart Sony knock-off. It reminds me of those $19.99 Closed-front, open-back Sony's. They don't quite look the same, but they share the same design premise. But, I think the $20 Sony was built better. I had problems with the detachable cable's connectors cutting in and out with the sound. The temporary fix, yank the plug out, and quickly plug it back in. Quite a few people have had similar problems with the connectors to the earpieces. My advice, contact JMT and find out how much he charges for an amp. The price is a secret on his amps, and he expects you to keep it a secret, but I will tell you it is well worth it. The next amp I buy is going to be from him.

Apr 17, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #7 of 7
It's efficient for a Sennheiser. But, a normal, weak MD portable is not going to give you satisfying volume. I know the best that I could ever get with my old pair of 497's, I sold them to chych, was weak, dull sound out of my newer 5mw Sony Discman. So, I think you're better off with just hooking up with an amp. I can't do a great comparison with the 495, because when I had a 495, it wouldn't even work with my equipment. It required so much power that it distorted at very low volumes. Plus, the 495 has a more accurate tonal balance than the 497. The 497 is brighter, has a slight midrange recession, and is weaker in the bass than the 495. They both exhibit the "grainy" quality when compared with higher-end 'phones, but I still think you would be much happier if you just stick with your 495's and buy a JMT. I have a feeling it is not going to be as costly as you think it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back