Looking For Haunting Music
Oct 31, 2001 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
Kinda weird but halloween has got me intrested in haunting music
Something that can scare you.

Criteria:
I want hear haunting music with some haunting vocals...something that really gets to you in your face.

Instrumental haunting music both electronic and acoustic

Any suggestions?

Nov 1, 2001 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 19
Try Jerry Goldsmith's Omen Soundtracks, that should do it.
FIREdevil.gif

Nov 1, 2001 at 6:38 AM Post #5 of 19
maybe a little depeche mode? the vocals aren't very haunting, but since practically all their songs are in a minor key, it's pretty dark and haunting.

Nov 1, 2001 at 10:40 AM Post #6 of 19
I find the music of Gyorgi Ligetti very haunting. You're probably familiar with his music from the Kubrick fim 2001. There's something challenging, frightening, yet beautiful about his music. On the rock side of things? Lou Reed's "Berlin" is kind of creepy.

Nov 1, 2001 at 12:58 PM Post #7 of 19
Try perhaps Sigur Ros...they are from Iceland, and their vocalist is really haunting....their music is sort of on an epic scale. Try their album Von (their first) for particularly haunting stuff, their other popular album is Aegitus Byrjun. Don't ask me how to pronounce it, I will just say they have it at Amazon. Another band to check out would be Mogwai....their cd Young Team is a little chilling.
Best of luck,
Stu
P.S. For the classical side, Shostakovich's (see avatar) 15th string quartet is as eerie as any more modern piece, try also his sonata op.124, Schoenberg's Pierrot lunaire, or Schumann's Erlkoenig

Nov 1, 2001 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 19
1. Ligeti's "Requiem"
2. Diamanda Galas's "The Divine Pit" and "Saint of the Pit"
3. early Nurse with Wound, like, "Chance Meeting on a dissecting table of a sewing machine and an umbrella" (actually, I'm not sure it counts as haunting, but it is nicely strange)
4. Sleep Chamber, "Circle Zero" (it is rather generic, actually, but might be of interest)
5. Monte Cazzazza's "Mary Bell" song, while taking the form of a children's rhyme is pretty disturbing since it is about, obviously, Mary Bell.

Various releases by NON and SPK may also be of interest, but beware since, at least with SPK, their releases range from haunting ambient stuff to almost-straight disco.

Nov 29, 2001 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 19
If you want to hear really haunting vocals in electronica, you should really try to find two particular tracks by an artist named Danny Breaks...... It´s drum&bass and I hope you don´t mind that, but these two babies are my favorites by Mr. Breaks!

They´re called Space Maidens and Aquatica.
Now, you may have a hard time finding this in the stores since they were mostly realesed on vinyl (if at all realesed on cd!) and that was sime time ago....So your best bet is to try and hunt them down on the net.
Space Maidens is taken from the EP ´From Beyond Infinity´ and Aquatica is taken from the EP ´Music for Martians´

I do remember reading somewhere that those two were to be realesed together on a single cd....but no promises! Maybe I´m just ranting and nobody cares about any of this but these tracks are worth it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2001 at 12:11 AM Post #11 of 19
Its not exactly haunting, but Bobby Sherman always gave me the creeps.

Dec 1, 2001 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 19
I think Stabbing Westward's "Darkest Days" fits the bill perfectly, as does King Diamond, Mercyful fate...i cant think of any others at the moment, but you should buy Darkest Days, its a great, depressing album!

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back