looking for great headphones for mostly movies
Oct 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

siriuscom

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am new here but have been lurking for a while. I am in the market to buy some full-size headphones after my old Bose broke. I mainly watch Tv shows and movies on my macbook, travel a few times a year, listen to music occasionally.

I want a nice pair that will last a while and has a great sound quality, built quality (as I lay in bed with them often) and I am willing to spend up to $400 for a nice pair.

Open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris 

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #2 of 17
Consider that most of what you'll be hearing will likely be low-quality encoded TV and possibly low quality films, high quality headphones may be a double edged sword. It sounds like you might be better off buying something less accurate (more forgiving).

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #5 of 17
Do you need them for traveling? That's a big question because a home use pair can be open, and open headphones tend to sound better than closed, and they will certainly have a better sound stage than closed.

However, if you want headphones that you can travel with, open is a no-go for you and your neighbors (they don't provide any isolation).

Adding in SteveHiFi's point, you might want to get two pairs. Split your budget between two models and you should get good quality out of both.

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 17
No i only travel 2-3 times a year.

Open to any suggestions.

Audio Technica ATH-A900X (open) or AD900X (closed) headphones.

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #8 of 17
  Hi guys,

I am new here but have been lurking for a while. I am in the market to buy some full-size headphones after my old Bose broke. I mainly watch Tv shows and movies on my macbook, travel a few times a year, listen to music occasionally.

I want a nice pair that will last a while and has a great sound quality, built quality (as I lay in bed with them often) and I am willing to spend up to $400 for a nice pair.

Open to all suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris 

The Beyerdynamic DT990 will be the one for you then.
Great bass for your application.

But the your Mac will not cut it...

Audio Technica ATH-A900X (open) or AD900X (closed) headphones.

I agree I liked the AD900X and the A900X isn't bad either, if your able to though maybe look into getting a Mr Speakers Mad Dog, it's a closed back and it's a very forgiving headphone, meaning low quality sources [Like NetFlix or Hulu] won't sound to too bad, though the Mad Dog would work best with an Amp. 

Oh! You could try the Philips Fidelio X2, it's a warmer headphone, has a nice bass to it and is pretty easy to amp, though I've not 100% heard it my self <.< 

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 17
I guess I should have mentioned that I prefer a closed headphone as the wife is sleeping next to me in bed and if I ever take them on my subway commute I wouldn't want people next to me hearing what I am listening too :wink:

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #10 of 17
Some variant of the DT770 might work for you. They have a fun bass and sparkling treble but most importantly for movies they are very comfortable and have an excellent soundstage for a closed can.

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #11 of 17
so I ordered the dt 770's and didn't like them. they were super quiet, I always had to go on the highest volume settings on my laptop and in the player i was watching it with and even then I didn't feel like I got a loud sound. Also they were bulkier then I usually like. 

Any other recommendations? 

Nov 6, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 17
so I ordered the dt 770's and didn't like them. they were super quiet, I always had to go on the highest volume settings on my laptop and in the player i was watching it with and even then I didn't feel like I got a loud sound. Also they were bulkier then I usually like. 

Any other recommendations? 
The 80s? I didn't know you were driving this from a laptop. That's probably not enough power, but integrated audio on desktops seemed to be enough to me.

Nov 6, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 17
  yup, from a macbook pro. any other suggestions? 

GET AN AMP [oh I typed that in all caps sorry]

but yea get your self an amp. try the Fiio E11k or the cMoy variants, or even something like a Bravo V2 Hybrid Tube [this one stays at home] but the headphones need more power than your mac book has to offer :x 

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #15 of 17
  yup, from a Macbook Pro. any other suggestions? 

I would say to get the FiiO E10K USB-DAC-Amp or the FiiO E11K amp, both can power themselves from a computer's USB port.
The E10K should have a better DAC (PCM5102) then the Macbook Pro and a decent enough headphone amplifier to drive 250-Ohm (Beyer) headphones.
The E11K has a more powerful headphone amplifier then the E10K, but you would be using the Macbook Pro's built in DAC chip.

I would think the AKG K545 headphones would be better to have, as they would be a little easier for traveling around with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back