Looking for great components for a Computer Rig (recommendations welcome)
Sep 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fabian005

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone soon I will own my first pair of high-end ciems, but before then I would like to prepare for rig beforehand. For a portable amp I was thinking that the RSA Tomahawk would be awesome as in its description it says it is specifically designed for IEMs but am willing to accept suggestions on others as well.

For a DAP I have been looking into the Fiio X3 and have heard it has great synergy with the Cosmic Ears HY3 which I intend to purchase and has a 16 Ohms at 1kHz. If any have suggestions on DAPs around that price range also much appreciated.

For a possible desktop amp I've looked into the Schiit Valhalla tube amp but am not sure it is suitable for my IEM. If someone has some more information on that that would be great.

Finally I have a great CD ripper and audio converter I just need a great audio player that will play FLAC flawlessly and has great customization and equalization.

Thanks ahead of time to any and all who can help me.

Oct 28, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 9
The valhalla will only be good for high impedance cans. What is your source actually?

The fiio x3 can be used as DAC/amp with the new firmware update. It will equal the e17, but is also able to be used as DAP as it is intended. I'd say the fiio x3 amp is more than powerful enough for any IEM. If you want an external portable amp, I'd recommend the dx50, as it seems to have a better DAC and line-out than the x3.

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #5 of 9
The audio converter, DAC, pc or whatever. What do you use to play ur files?

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 9
I use Foobar2k with dbpoweramp to cnvert my files to FLAC and connect into a dell inspiron 1440 <-- not that good but it produces much better quality than if I listen along with My phone lg optimus g.

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #7 of 9
Hello everyone soon I will own my first pair of high-end ciems, but before then I would like to prepare for rig beforehand. For a portable amp I was thinking that the RSA Tomahawk would be awesome as in its description it says it is specifically designed for IEMs but am willing to accept suggestions on others as well.
For a DAP I have been looking into the Fiio X3 and have heard it has great synergy with the Cosmic Ears HY3 which I intend to purchase and has a 16 Ohms at 1kHz. If any have suggestions on DAPs around that price range also much appreciated.
For a possible desktop amp I've looked into the Schiit Valhalla tube amp but am not sure it is suitable for my IEM. If someone has some more information on that that would be great.

The Cosmic Ears HY3 IEMs are only 16-Ohm, the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier ($99) could very very easily drive them.
The Schiit Modi USB DAC is $99.
So for $200 your IEM should sound nice.

Why use IEMs with a desktop computer?
Maybe invest into some regular headphones?

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 9
I think the Magni would be too powerful. You'd probably do just as good with the x3 alone for iems. So, you do not only want an amp. You want a DAC as well, unless you'll just use the x3.

Oct 29, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #9 of 9
The Cosmic Ears HY3 IEMs are only 16-Ohm, the Schiit Magni headphone amplifier ($99) could very very easily drive them.
The Schiit Modi USB DAC is $99.
So for $200 your IEM should sound nice.

Why use IEMs with a desktop computer?
Maybe invest into some regular headphones?
I have thought about it just don't know where to start there. Don't want to go to cheap or too expensive. Maybe a V-moda I really like EDM Scene. Also thank you for suggestions will annotate them and look into them when I can.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back