Looking for good speakers
Jan 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

PurpleCow

Head-Fier
I was wondering what the best speakers are that can be had for under $200. Whether it be satellites or 2.1 setup, as long as it sounds good for music!

Also I will be using it with my macbook pro 13"

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 11
Hi

I think the best speakers that can be had for under $200 are available at an online auction :)

So may budget speakers have been manufactured over the years that if you go to an online auction you will be able to pick up a good pair very cheaply I suspect.

I have been listening to music through Hi Fi systems since the 70s and I will let you know that speakers have not improved very much since that time.

So, a nice pair of small bookshelf speakers from the last decade will work very well I think.

You can also buy a small amplifier to power them and some simple cable, for budget speakers regular two core mains cable will work very well indeed.

It is likely it will sound really rather good :)

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 11
Check out the Dayton Audio B652 loudspeakers. They are only $40 on Parts-Express.com. While you are there, check out the SUB-1000 10" sub woofer and the DTA-1 T-Amplifier. Both should perform well with the B652 loudspeakers. I'd also recommend some loudspeaker mounting stands (check out Amazon) or some foam pads for the loudspeakers to improve sound quality.

You don't have to add in a DAC at first, but I will recommend it for the best quality possible. This all may go a bit past your budget, but it will indeed be worth the money.

Destroysall

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Check out the Dayton Audio B652 loudspeakers. They are only $40 on Parts-Express.com. While you are there, check out the SUB-1000 10" sub woofer and the DTA-1 T-Amplifier. Both should perform well with the B652 loudspeakers. I'd also recommend some loudspeaker mounting stands (check out Amazon) or some foam pads for the loudspeakers to improve sound quality.

You don't have to add in a DAC at first, but I will recommend it for the best quality possible. This all may go a bit past your budget, but it will indeed be worth the money.

Destroysall

How big are those speakers? I was kinda just looking for desktop speakers.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
so no on the Audioengine A2s?

I have a pair of A2s... I like them quite a bit. Keep in mind though that you're paying for the size of the A2s too, they're quite a bit smaller. They're not the best sound quality wise, but they're great for a small desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back