Looking for good speakers for a friend.
Aug 9, 2008 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Anarchy965

500+ Head-Fier
My friend called me up today and told me he needs help finding some good speakers. I'm actually sort of glad he asked because the speakers he has now are some terrible 2.1's that came with his computer. The problem is his budget is only about $110. If he had more cash to spend I'd probably just recommend him a pair of A2's, but I can't seem to find them for less than $200.

I'm curious about the Swan M10's but can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. Are they discontinued? I also saw these (Swan D1080MkII) mentioned in a recent thread. Can anyone who owns these recommend them?.

I guess If I can't find anything better in his price range I'll probably end up recommending him Some Klipsch Promedia 2.1's.

Aug 9, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 7
The Swan D1080MkII or Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 are your best solutions. Pick one depending on his musical preference, since some genres might need a sub to sound their best.

Aug 10, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 7
I found the M10's on sale on the same site linked to for the D1080MkII's for only $82 so I think those are my best bet. But does anyone have any other suggestions?

As for the Promedias I've heard they aren't really liked around here so I'd rather not tell him to get those.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 7
Actually the Klipsch 2.1 offerings have been pretty good over the years. Avoid the iFi speaker set. The promedia 2.1 speakers do pretty well actually, especially if you want the bass provided by the sub.

I would consider the type of music he is wanting to listen to. Certainly there are types of music that don't blend well with as 2.1 system, or rather do better than a mid-range heavy system. The Swans 2.0 probably will sound better with vocal and jazz type music. Gaming and music needing a heavy bass will sound better with the 2.1 promedia.

My 2.1 system is working in my kids computer room, and they love it for gaming and music.

I prefer the Swans M200 for the jazz I listen to. My office system is getting converted to a T-Amp with a set of fullrange speakers. Still waiting on the Mardis 3.0 T-amp, I have the Tekton 4.5 speakers ready to go.

Don't discount the promedia 2.1 system, its a great price, and sounds really good for the right type of music.

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My friend called me up today and told me he needs help finding some good speakers. I'm actually sort of glad he asked because the speakers he has now are some terrible 2.1's that came with his computer. The problem is his budget is only about $110. If he had more cash to spend I'd probably just recommend him a pair of A2's, but I can't seem to find them for less than $200.

I'm curious about the Swan M10's but can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. Are they discontinued? I also saw these (Swan D1080MkII) mentioned in a recent thread. Can anyone who owns these recommend them?.

I guess If I can't find anything better in his price range I'll probably end up recommending him Some Klipsch Promedia 2.1's.

Have you looked at the Logitch Z-2300? They are available for below 100 on amazon and they sound great. Especially for movies and gaming (thanks to the huge but awesome sub woofer). I've had mine for nearly 3 years now and they still sound as good as they were when I bought them.

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by adithya88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you looked at the Logitch Z-2300? They are available for below 100 on amazon and they sound great. Especially for movies and gaming (thanks to the huge but awesome sub woofer). I've had mine for nearly 3 years now and they still sound as good as they were when I bought them.

Was about to mention the Z-2300s. I saw them recently for $120 at one of the big box retail stores up here in Canada. If you can get them on sale I personally think they sound better than the Klipsch, although they're both decent choices with nice, heavy bass.

Aug 12, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopefish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was about to mention the Z-2300s. I saw them recently for $120 at one of the big box retail stores up here in Canada. If you can get them on sale I personally think they sound better than the Klipsch, although they're both decent choices with nice, heavy bass.

Well, I found one good deal right away on Amazon. The Z-2300 for 77 USD + S/H.

Amazon.com: Logitech Z-2300 THX-Certified 200-Watt 2.1 Speaker System: Electronics

Newegg has it for 90$ with free shipping so should work out to about the same amount.
Newegg.com - Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker System - Speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back