Looking for good Senn HD600 Cable Maker
Dec 9, 2015 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Mkoll

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've decided to try upgrading my HD650 cable that I use on my HD600 to see, or rather hear, what happens. I'm looking to spend ~$50 + S&H. I'm looking for someone here who makes quality cables for such a price. The commercial ones I know of are far too expensive. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share? Any folks to recommend?

Thanks.

Dec 12, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 12
http://www.lunashops.com/search.php?encode=YTo0OntzOjg6ImtleXdvcmRzIjtzOjU6IkhENjAwIjtzOjE6IngiO3M6MToiMCI7czoxOiJ5IjtzOjE6IjAiO3M6MTg6InNlYXJjaF9lbmNvZGVfdGltZSI7aToxNDQ5OTc3MTYxO30=

I bought a mic cable from there for my IEM. It's starting to cut out but note that I toss these around and into my bag, plus the connectors used got flak on the VSD3S thread primarily for how difficult they are to work with and also for how the design I think was supposed to let it move around to not resist and get damaged, but ultimately that movement loosens something over time. In your case the HD600 cables won't have this issue (note that frequent removal of the cable still wears out the thin copper wires form the socket to the drivers), and at worst you will deal with the slow shipping - it took over three weeks to get from HK to Manila. Go with faster shipping methods though, I avoided it because I was avoiding sharks at the main Customs office here.

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #4 of 12
They have a lot of cables on that site—I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for. Looking through a few of the cables, I don't see any reviews on them or on those selling them. I'm really looking for a cable maker with a solid, long-standing reputation. I'd like to keep the risk of making a bad purchase as low as possible.

Thank you for replying and for the recommendation though. That site might be a last resort for me.

Dec 21, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 12
Maybe try one of these:

http://bestintheversecables.com/

https://www.etsy.com/listing/244164727/custom-infinity-series-sennheiser?ref=shop_home_active_17

Or the other cable companies like Cardas and Norne Audio if you're willing to spend more. 

Dec 21, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Here is one for $100 CND.  I think it should be around $75 U.S. after exchange rate.  They make excellent cables for the price.

Take Five Audio - Canada's Online Source For DIY Audio, Parts and Accessories - Headphone Cable

I ordered some ballanced XLR interconnects from here 3-4 years ago and they are excellent quality for a reasonable price.  I just ordered some RCA interconnects this weekend for my Hugo to Liquid Carbon, as well as an Asylum power cord for the LC from them as well.  Hopefully I will receive them this week. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #8 of 12
  Hi all,

I've decided to try upgrading my HD650 cable that I use on my HD600 to see, or rather hear, what happens. I'm looking to spend ~$50 + S&H. I'm looking for someone here who makes quality cables for such a price. The commercial ones I know of are far too expensive. Anyone have any good or bad experiences to share? Any folks to recommend?

Thanks.

Mkoll, did you pull the trigger on new cables? I'm considering a similar purchase for my HD600s. After using 650 cables from the beginning with mine I recently tried the original 600s cables again. I clearly heard the differences but I'm not as sure which I prefer. What I perceive as extra clarity in the originals is attractive to me however I do think they lose some lower end. The 650 cables in comparison seem to have more body but at the cost of something I like. It is next to impossible for me to do adequate comparisons simply because of the time and attention required to re-fit and connect to my Valhalla 2.
I'm wondering if a silver-coated aftermarket cable might outperform either of the originals. I won't spend audiophile prices however right now to experiment. Since I don't know what is in the originals I'm depending on user feedback to help me think through what might be achieved.

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #9 of 12
  Here is one for $100 CND.  I think it should be around $75 U.S. after exchange rate.  They make excellent cables for the price.

Take Five Audio - Canada's Online Source For DIY Audio, Parts and Accessories - Headphone Cable

I ordered some ballanced XLR interconnects from here 3-4 years ago and they are excellent quality for a reasonable price.  I just ordered some RCA interconnects this weekend for my Hugo to Liquid Carbon, as well as an Asylum power cord for the LC from them as well.  Hopefully I will receive them this week. 

Hey Dave74, I followed up on your link and liked what I saw. Unfortunately after ordering a set I received a notice from Take Five that the product was discontinued. Apparently they ran out of the bulk cables and won't have any more. Disappointing.

Jan 25, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 12
A good number of folks have been quite satisfied with their NewFantasia cables. They are available in either OFC or OCC silver plated.  Great bang for the buck.  They are available from Amazon or sellers on eBay (I've bought several different cables from low20101020 who is highly reputable).

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 12

Hey Dave74, I followed up on your link and liked what I saw. Unfortunately after ordering a set I received a notice from Take Five that the product was discontinued. Apparently they ran out of the bulk cables and won't have any more. Disappointing.

Hmm...   Thats too bad...  I did order a HD650 balanced cable from them around the end of Dec. beginning of Jan. and I received it.  It looks like Take Five now has a new balanced cable for the HD6XX and it cost more, it looks like $130CND for the 4 pin ballanced and $150CND for the 1/4".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back