Looking for good quality, low-hassle closed on or over-ear headphones for less than $200.
Oct 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

zjguyer

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I am a new member here, looking to start taking the next step up in the audio world. All I have owned/been able to afford before are Sony MDR-EX10LP IEMs, and I would really like something better. I enjoy most types of music, but mostly listen to rock, electronic, and movie soundtrack-type stuff, and not as much country. 

So, like the title says, I'm looking for something on-ear or over-ear for less than $200. I'm not really interested in anything I will need an amp or anything for; I would really like to just plug-in and go. The lower the fuss, the better. I will probably mostly use them at home, but would like something I can take around with me if I want. I live in an apartment with 3 roommates, so closed headphones are definitely preferred.

Anyway, I have never done this before, any have gotten a little overwhelmed looking through the site here. A couple I have been looking at are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50Ss and the Logitech UE 6000s. I couldn't tell if either of those are closed, but they both seemed like pretty good deals regardless. What do you guys think? Any recommendations or tips?

Thanks 
bigsmile_face.gif

Edit: Also, forgot to mention I will be using these mostly with just my laptop and iPod.

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 7
I have not heard them, but Soundmagic HP100 have been very popular on head-fi lately. Lots of good testimonials: http://www.head-fi.org/t/616201/soundmagic-hp100-review/. 32 ohm impedance, so should work quite well with portable devices.

I do think the ATH-M50s are a good value for around $125 or less.

Oct 30, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 7
well for rock the audio techneicas are out, they are great headphones for rap, but for rocks, just no, like the guy above me said the soundmagics are pretty good, i own pair and do like them, im just more of a sennheiser fan myself(i would suggest momentums (on ear version) but they are like 30$ over your price range, but if you dont mind the extra cash, i would definatley go for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back