Looking for good quality closed-back over ear headphones...
Jul 2, 2015 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ReelDeal

Head-Fier
Just got my Massdrop AKG K7XX's today, and it looks like they may not pass the 'working in the same room as my wife' test. (I've never had open back headphones, or any decent pair for that matter, so I didn't know how much 'sound leakage' to expect.) So, I'm already researching closed headphones. 

So far, I'm interested in:

Oppo PM-3
Mr. Speaker Alpha Dogs
ZMF x Vibro

As far as the sound I'm looking for... I am not a bass-head by any means. Would rather have bass quality than quantity. I love female vocalists, so I want a great midrange. And on the upper end, I want the cymbals to float in the air. Any thoughts on how these three models above do in those regards? Or, of course (I know you're going to do it anyway!) I am open to other suggestions. Would like to keep things around $400-$500, but if something is a noticeable improvement, I'm interested. 

Oh, as far as other gear, I have been working on that front. I have Schitt Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber. Also, my 'new used' Little Dot iii just got here 15 minutes ago. 

Thanks for the help!

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #2 of 6
I've tried SO many closed headphones over the years from $100 - $2000. And I keep coming back to my Beyerdynamic DT770 - 80 Ohms. For me, no other closed headphones is this comfortable after long periods of time and have such clear precise sound quality. They are worth so much more than their humble price tag.

Some would say the midrange is recessed, but I still find female vocals very appealing with these headphones.

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks. Will definitely check out the Beyerdynamic DT770. ... Would really like input on the other three. I love Oppo's Bluray player, and the two customizing companies seem top-notch.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 6
  I've tried SO many closed headphones over the years from $100 - $2000. And I keep coming back to my Beyerdynamic DT770 - 80 Ohms. For me, no other closed headphones is this comfortable after long periods of time and have such clear precise sound quality. They are worth so much more than their humble price tag.

Some would say the midrange is recessed, but I still find female vocals very appealing with these headphones.

Some of the better reviews on Amazon say the DD 770 is 'bass heavy.' Which, I'm not sure if that was for the 80 or 250 ohm version. I'm only going to be using them at home, so I'll have plenty of power.

I'm also seeing good things about the NAD VISO HP50. Anyone have any experience?

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 6
I do not have any experience with the HP50. The PM-3 and the Alpha Dogs are great headphones. You don't need portability, so I'd say the best closed can for your money would be the Alpha Dogs. In a lower price range there is also the Focal Spirit Pro. Great closed headphone with a decent sound stage, very neutral, detailed and balanced sound and great isolation.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 6
Oh, as far as other gear, I have been working on that front. I have Schitt Magni 2 Uber & Modi 2 Uber. Also, my 'new used' Little Dot iii just got here 15 minutes ago. 

Well, you need more equipment then. Next on your list should be a good DAP :wink:

I have heard the NAD HP50s. Good sounding headphones and worth considering along with the others that are recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back