Looking for good portable headphones under 120$
Oct 26, 2013 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JabbatheWut

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm a college student (studying Virology), and I am constantly walking around campus listening to music. For a long time I've been fed up with earbuds, but I didn't really think about alternatives. Now I've finally started searching, but I'm a bit lost. I've been browsing the web for hours trying to pick a model, but keep finding out about downsides that make me keep looking. First I looked at Sennheiser HD 208's, but I heard those crushed skulls, then I looked into Grado Sr80's, but they leaked too much noise. I looked at V-MODAs, but reviewers emphasized that is was more for bass (I listen to all kinds of music), so I turned to Audio Technica M50's, but those appeared bulky- something I would not want to wear around everyday.

After a while I realized I may have been looking to high- I was going for portability and quality above my earbuds. Now I am looking into Sennheiser PX 100-II's and Jay V Rays.

Can you guys help me with some recommendations? 

I'm looking for something...
- Portable (most important thing)
- Under 120$
- Doesn't leak too much (if I study in the library)
- Can play all kinds of music relatively well. I'm not looking for something amazing, just an enhancement from earbuds

Thanks

Oct 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 4
JVC HA-S500 folding on-ear headphones, $60

Oct 26, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 4
Welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet...

When you say "earbuds" do you mean the stock buds that come with the typical iphone/ipod or similar? There are MUCH better in-ear monitors (IEMs) than those - you don't need to go to headband 'phones unless you want to - and personally, for walking around, I would rather have in-ears. OTOH, too much isolation can also be a problem when walking around - watch out for cars and bikes!

Have you looked through the big portable & IEM threads?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-93-portable-headphones-reviewed-pioneer-se-mj71-coloud-colors-added-9-4-11
http://www.head-fi.org/t/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison-final-update-march-1st-2013

ClieOS & ljokerl do a great job!

Oct 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Hello!

I suggest you to look into HD439. Warmish sound, rolled off highs. Comfortable to wear, lightweight and pretty good for all genres but best with dubstep/EDM music.

If you prefer a more forward vocals, there is the MDR-7506. For punchy sound and detailed, the Ultimate Ears UE4000 is more than enough.

All the above 3 headphones I mentioned fits your requirement just depends on what type of sound you are looking for

Hope it helps!
Billson :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back