Looking for good piano music
Feb 8, 2004 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

z28dreams

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for some good piano music.

I'm mostly interested in piano + vocals, but piano alone would work.

What I've heard that I like:

Modern: Jim Brickman, George Winston, Ben Folds
Jazz: Oscar Peterson, Keith Jarrett

Mostly interested in more modern stuff with vocals that you might hear at say a piano bar, etc. I like a real warm and pretty sound. If it could make you cry, I'd want to hear it.

Thanks!

-Neil

Feb 8, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 11
Sarah Slean's a definite possibility, most of her songs are piano based and she does have a full band for many of the songs. Her website can be found here and when you click the "enter site" link and wait a bit you'll get a sample of her music. I have the album and it is "warm & pretty", and the sound quality's much better than the sample.

Feb 8, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 11
I don't know about the piano music (
biggrin.gif
) but I give you this

pro2000.gif

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...&DTYP=,00.html

biggrin.gif
aaaaaaaaaa

Feb 8, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius
Sarah Slean's a definite possibility, most of her songs are piano based and she does have a full band for many of the songs. Her website can be found here and when you click the "enter site" link and wait a bit you'll get a sample of her music. I have the album and it is "warm & pretty", and the sound quality's much better than the sample.

I'll second Sarah Slean, she's one of my favourites, and her album Night Bugs is excellent. I can't wait for the next album, which she is currently in the midst of recording.

Also, I'll add:

Elliott Smith - I'm not too familar with all of his songs, but check out the songs Son of Sam, Waltz #2, and Baby Britain.

Rufus Wainwright - Definitely get the albums 'Poses' and 'Rufus Wainwright'. They might take a few listens to really grow on you, but they are both absolutely excellent. His latest album, Want One, is also very good (with a few weak songs, imo, but the stronger ones pick up the slack) but it has hardly any piano for the simple reason that he didn't have a piano where he was when he wrote the album's songs. Still, the songs 'Dinner at Eight' and '14th Street' both have piano. www.rufuswainwright.com (Ggo to 'media' to listen to some of his songs.)
Recommended songs: Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk, April Fools, Poses, Beauty Mark, Greek Song, Baby, Imaginary Love, California, Tower of Learning, Grey Gardens, In a Graveyard.

I know I have more suggestions, I just can't think of any right now. I suppose I'll add some more later when I'm not so tired.

Oh also, I've always heard good things about Tori Amos, although I've only heard a handful of her songs. She's probably worth checking out.

Feb 8, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by aerius

this is the first time to listen to her music on her web-site (nice site by the way) - I'm not so impressed but anyway I think I'll buy a CD with her who knows

Thanks for post her here

Feb 9, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 11
I don't think that this is what you are looking for, but try this

The Jazz Channel - Keiko Matsui (live) (2000)

Feb 10, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by z28dreams
Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for some good piano music.

I'm mostly interested in piano + vocals, but piano alone would work.
(...)
Mostly interested in more modern stuff with vocals that you might hear at say a piano bar (....)
Thanks!

-Neil

Hi Neil,

If only I could find a bar where I could hear this:
(1) Ahmad Jamal, The Essence Part 1, Birdology 529 327-2

Piano only:
(1) John Taylor, Insight, Ske 333035 (Bar for serious people
wink.gif
)
(2) Baptiste Trotignon, Solo, FND035.

Piano + voice + emotions:

(1) Jeri Brown and Jimmy Rowles, A Timeless Place, JUST 70-2