Looking for good music headphones w/ mic for gaming.
Jun 18, 2013 at 7:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Shel

New Head-Fier
I currently have the Razer Kraken, a quite comfortable headset and relatively decent audio quality, but has a few issues such as the combined audio probably not being shielded properly and music playing through microphone at low audio levels.

Looking for something that plays electrohouse music well, good bass, and decent mic quality as I'll be using it in Skype, etc.

Price range is undefined, preferably under 300 though.

EDIT: I prefer to buy through memoryexpress (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/Headsets) but anything like Best Buy/Future Shop/GameStop(lol) isn't out of the question.

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 10
MemoryExpess price are way to high, order off eBay (new or used), if you can.

For prices your willing to pay, better to buy nice quality headphones and add a separate mic.
The Sennheiser HD-558s (new or used) are good all around headphones, way under your budget.

Digbuy is selling the Audio Technica ATH-A900X (closed) headphone for $155, plus shipping and tax.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #4 of 10
Yeah I seem to have fallen more towards buying a set of nice headphones and them just adding a mod mic or whatever. Considering some Audio Technica M50s or a pair of AKG K702s. AXE music is another place I'm looking at now, and it seems they have a demo room where I'll try them out tomorrow. I'll update you guys on what I finally choose, maybe tomorrow.

Jun 20, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 10
Ended up going with the M50s after trying them out and loving the bass response. Took them home, and didn't realize how much of a difference an amp makes. Definitely buying one asap. Any recommendations on a good amp? Running an asus xonar dsx card, isnt quite enough

Jun 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 10
PAV2V ($70) or Schiit Magi ($99).
The cheaper Xonar DG or DGX comes with a headphone amplifier.

Jun 20, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 10
Yeah I think my dsx just acts as a DAC at this point. Would you also recommend the o2 amp? Seems like it'd be cheaper than the schiit which has like, 35-80 bucks shipping to me which is ridiculous. The pa2v2 seems like its more a mobile amp where I'm interested in a regular desktop amp

Jun 21, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Yeah I think my dsx just acts as a DAC at this point. Would you also recommend the o2 amp? Seems like it'd be cheaper than the schiit which has like, 35-80 bucks shipping to me which is ridiculous. The pa2v2 seems like its more a mobile amp where I'm interested in a regular desktop amp

The PAV2V can work like a desktop amp or portable amp.
The O2 (Objective 2) sells new for around $140 (with AC adapter)
The Magni amp sells for $99.

I really like my O2 amp, like to plug it into the RCA outputs on my Essence STX sound card

Users who are viewing this thread

Back