Looking for Good Japanese Albums
Apr 21, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself, aka me
hide: hide your face, psyence.

I got Luna Sea "LUNACY" for 180円. Bargain! Two bucks for a full album 'cause the case was broken a little (i epoxied it back together).

OMG, and I thought me getting $7usd a disc on Luna Sea album was a good price. I've been trying to scour Lunacy at a reasonable price. That is the only album left to complete my collection.

Keroro gunsou has the exact kind of humor I like. But I just watch the first 8 chapters of the anime, never get a chance to finish it.

Apr 21, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 36
I'll second ShakkaZombie, some pretty cool beats for Japanese rap. I'm also a huge fan of Aikawa Nanase, especially the albums Foxtrot and I.D. She's more on the catchy, hard-rock side. Also like The Brilliant Green and Pizzicato 5.

Apr 22, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #18 of 36
Oh man! Rock festival! Ikitai! Tokoro ga iku wake nai.. No way I'm going to make it anywhere in Japan in August. Going back home in May... Actually happy to be going home, but I really think the reason I am stressed out is because I am in school, not because I am in Japan. zChan, how long are you in for?

Thanks again youalls. I will give as many of your suggestions as possible the check-out.

Apr 22, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #19 of 36
Singer/songwriter Rie Fu's debut album "Rie Fu." She writes and sings a mellow brand of pop influenced by Carole King, the Carpenters, and the like. She has a beautifully soothing yet rich voice that evokes Karen Carpenter, and she drops every word like a pearl. Most of her songs are half English/half Japanese and the transitions between the two languages are seamless as she's fluent in both and she has a way of picking the right sound in the right tongue for a musical passage. You hear a stretch of English and realize it wouldn't sound so good in Japanese, and then you hear a stretch of Japanese and think it just wouldn't be the same in English. More info at: http://www.riefu.com. Americans can buy her music at http://www.yesasia.com.

Apr 22, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #20 of 36
along slightly different lines, japan has some of the absolute best avant-noise groups out there these days...

boredoms, rovo, and melt banana have already been mentioned
the ruins (and anything yoshida tatsuya is involved in... koenjihyakkei, korekyojin, etc)
bondage fruit
tipographica
mono (more post-rockish)

and one of my favorite avant-jazz composer/pianists, satoko fujii, has a ton of great stuff out there. her husband, trumpeter natsuki tamura, also has a strong discography. lots of their stuff is impossible to find in the US but probably readily available in japan...

Apr 23, 2005 at 3:20 AM Post #21 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
Oh man! Rock festival! Ikitai! Tokoro ga iku wake nai.. No way I'm going to make it anywhere in Japan in August. Going back home in May... Actually happy to be going home, but I really think the reason I am stressed out is because I am in school, not because I am in Japan. zChan, how long are you in for?

Thanks again youalls. I will give as many of your suggestions as possible the check-out.

I never acually went... its always held on the same day as Summer Sonic
mad.gif
mad.gif
. The bands that plays at JRF is very much in my taste, so I use it as a source to find new artists I like.
I been living here for more than 9 years and have no idea when Ill go to the States again (If at all).
rolleyes.gif

May 12, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #23 of 36
Probably too late with this, but for sheer rockabilly rock'n'J-roll, you can't beat Osaka's own Shonen Knife.

And for sheer outrageous stand-back-she's-capable-of-anything, no one I've heard beats Shiina Ringo, who's already been mentioned. Plus, for headphone fanatics, you're likely to hear everything from subsonics to 0dB 20KHz on her CDs. Can't he'p lovin' dem arrangemints.

Yeah, they're both sheer. Gotta have it.

May 12, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Probably too late with this, but for sheer rockabilly rock'n'J-roll, you can't beat Osaka's own Shonen Knife.

And for sheer outrageous stand-back-she's-capable-of-anything, no one I've heard beats Shiina Ringo, who's already been mentioned. Plus, for headphone fanatics, you're likely to hear everything from subsonics to 0dB 20KHz on her CDs. Can't he'p lovin' dem arrangemints.

Yeah, they're both sheer. Gotta have it.

Nah, never too late. Especially with Shonen Knife because their albums are pretty easy to find at the record stores in my hometown. That is unless there are some Japan-only things of theirs I should know about.

Still haven't gotten out to do my little music shopping trip, though. Will probably do it next week when finals are all done with.

Also, I was talking with a friend, and she was highly recommending Blankey Jet City and Ajico. I heard her band cover some Ajico, and I thought that sounded pretty cool.

Peace till later. (oh, the ATH-2s have been paid for and are in the mail. I'll start a thread up about them when I have them in my grubby little hands next month.)

May 12, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

That is unless there are some Japan-only things of theirs [Shonen Knife] I should know about.

Well, nothing unusual. As I understand it, SK's home-market stuff is sung in Japanese rather than cute heavily accented Engrish. Other than that, some SK albums are just plain rare and expensive here in the US.

What you really need to do is snag a pair of Stax before you leave. Do sidewalk portraits for a day or two if you have to, but bring back some Stax 'phones. They're fun to draw and you might even like the way they make noise.

May 12, 2005 at 5:44 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

What you really need to do is snag a pair of Stax before you leave. Do sidewalk portraits for a day or two if you have to, but bring back some Stax 'phones. They're fun to draw and you might even like the way they make noise.

Oh, dude, I so wish. Those things are clean out of my price range. And if you guys saw the source I had to play them on, I would be laughed to an early grave. There was a shop in Denden town that actually had a good deal of the stax line out on the floor to audition. For a moment, just a brief second, performing a gaijin smash crossed my mind.

We'll see. If it turns out that I'm a pachinko mastermind and can net a few 7manyen days, then maybe I'll do some more audio gear shopping before I leave ^_^.

May 12, 2005 at 2:56 PM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Oh, dude, I so wish. Those things are clean out of my price range. And if you guys saw the source I had to play them on, I would be laughed to an early grave.

But aren't Staxen much much cheaper there? I had hopes they'd be hanging down within your grasp. Are they available in used-equipment shops? Oh well, there's always eBay.

As for your source, that's the fun! With Stax you can always say "I can hear the crossover distortion in the chip amps and the phase shift in the output stage's low-pass filter! Damn, these phones are fine!"

Final music idea: Bring back Morning Musume's Greatest Hits, assuming such a thing exists. DVD, CD, SVCD, doesn't matter. Yumcha yumcha yumcha.

May 25, 2005 at 12:15 PM Post #29 of 36
Just wanted to pop back in and say a 'thanks', guys.

*Inkmo is currently rocking out to-
ROVO - Pyramid, and Imago
Judy and Mary - The Power Source, and Be Ambitious
Ajico - Show, and Pepin single
The Blue Hearts - Young and Pretty (I totally sang kisu ***** hoshii in karaoke last night. It was a riot)
The High Lows - Angel Beetle
Blankey Jet City - The Very Best of...
X Japan - Dahlia
Maaya Sakamoto - Dive (sounds good on the AD900s)
Shiina Ringo
Ego Wrappin' - Blue Speaker, and Night Food
Pizzicato Five - Happy End of the World
Robots - Guitar de Pop

Now my friends in the art club are all wanting to hook me up. One of my sempai gave me some CDs last night. Heavy Rotations Pop Charts best hits and Mr. Children. With this big influx of music I am still giving everything a good listen. Will try and get back out to Tsutaya again before I head back if I can. Peace!

Oh, yeah! I mentioned Shonen Knife to a Japanese friend and she was all like "Obachan!"

May 28, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #30 of 36
Quote:

*Inkmo is currently rocking out to-
ROVO - Pyramid, and Imago

Cool... but what is 'Pyramid'? Live or studio. Never heard of it, their releases are pretty sporadic over here. I've got a bunch of their stuff, but it's been hard fought. How are you enjoying the stuff now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back