Looking for good isolation IEMs for commuting
Mar 4, 2010 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Icewyng

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I have decided to buy IEMs to pair up with my Cowon D2 and to replace my old pair of AKG K81dj. They were doing a good job but I need something that provides more isolation since my bus ride to work takes about 1 hour.

I listen mostly to Progressive rock/metal and various podcasts. Isolation would be the #1 thing, followed by sound detail and clarity and then some nice bass (but not too much of it).

Any suggestions?

Edit: Ooops... I was forgetting... max budget would be around 80$

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 20
RE0, ER6i, image S4, JVC FX300, V-Moda vibe II and Apple in-earphpone...........

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #3 of 20
Since I needed to get new IEMs now and the only ones I could find in the list locally was the FX-300, I have decided to start with those and work my way up.

I am listening to them for the first time and I have to say they feel more detailed but sound a bit bright compared to my other phones. I guess I will let them burn-in and see where we get from there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Any suggestions for a good FIIO amp pairing for the FX-300?

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since I needed to get new IEMs now and the only ones I could find in the list locally was the FX-300, I have decided to start with those and work my way up.

Where are you from? Are you near frys?

Mar 7, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 20
Nonono don't get the FX300. I would not recommend them to an enemy for rock and metal. With some recordings, especially 80s stuff, they are gratingly harsh and metallic. Go to best buy or the apple store and get the klipsch S4 for $80. Or the Auvio Armatures for $60 at radioshack. I don't like either of these much but they are both far better than the FX300 for metal.

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nonono don't get the FX300. I would not recommend them to an enemy for rock and metal. With some recordings, especially 80s stuff, they are gratingly harsh and metallic. Go to best buy or the apple store and get the klipsch S4 for $80. Or the Auvio Armatures for $60 at radioshack. I don't like either of these much but they are both far better than the FX300 for metal.

*Shrugs* I see what you mean! Bright, harsh and lacking in the "oomph" department for bass would be the right words to describe what I am hearing. What type of music is best with those btw?

Oh well... guess those will probably end up for trade. Lesson learned!
smily_headphones1.gif

Which ones would you recommend for rock/metal then? I think I will get the next ones online for sure!

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 20
Oh, my bad. I didn't realize you'd actually bought them already. No point in amping them - they don't really benefit. The FX300 is probably the only real miss for me in JVC's IEM line, price/performance-wise. Not sure why anyone would recommend them.

I very much prefer something like a Maximo iM-590 or even Meelec M6 to them for rock. Or the cheaper Nuforce NE-6 and the new ECCI PR100/PR200. Depending on how much you want to spend and signature preferences, really. The Nuforces and ECCIs isolate a good amount if that's what you're looking for. I don't know what you paid for the JVCs but all of these should be cheaper options if purchased online.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Not sure why anyone would recommend them

I am not sure either but I can tell you this: They have the worst sound I have ever experienced. The bass seems to be lost in the mix and the highs are very harsh and agressive, to the point where it hurts to listen to them, even when playing with the EQ. I will not keep them.

Quote:

I very much prefer something like a Maximo iM-590 or even Meelec M6 to them for rock. Or the cheaper Nuforce NE-6 and the new ECCI PR100/PR200. Depending on how much you want to spend and signature preferences, really. The Nuforces and ECCIs isolate a good amount if that's what you're looking for. I don't know what you paid for the JVCs but all of these should be cheaper options if purchased online.

I've payed more than I should have. I am still looking for something in the 60-80$ range. As for sound signature, I really enjoy the sound out of my Grado SR-80, if it can help a bit. The Maximo looks interesting... would they fit the bill?

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icewyng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've payed more than I should have. I am still looking for something in the 60-80$ range. As for sound signature, I really enjoy the sound out of my Grado SR-80, if it can help a bit. The Maximo looks interesting... would they fit the bill?

I wouldn't say the Maximos have monstrous isolation but other than that they fit the bill very well. Isolation is pretty average for IEMs. But certainly more than a K81.

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:10 AM Post #11 of 20
If isolation is 1st things. I would be suggest eterna for low cost earphone but it's may be too bassy. Overall this earphone have sweet sound and stage is not too bad

comply tips or original bi flange can do the job very well.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

I wouldn't say the Maximos have monstrous isolation but other than that they fit the bill very well. Isolation is pretty average for IEMs. But certainly more than a K81.

I have to say I have been impressed with the K81 isolation. It has done the job well for a while but I need more of it, I guess.
smily_headphones1.gif

Which one would you think is better suited for rock/metal between the NE-6 and the PR100/200? They look interesting as well I must say...My wallet will cry for help soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back