Looking for good headphones with a focus on comfort
Dec 19, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #16 of 30
Seeing as the OP said they were happy with the quality of the stock iPod headphones I will assume they are looking for low-mid range headphones.

I would recommend the Sennheiser HD 515 / 555 / 595, very comfy and light weight. They will also sound great through an iPod without needing an amp.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #17 of 30
I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, but I wouldn't quite say I'm "totally satisfied" with the stock earbuds. Still, comfort is key for me, and I'm looking to spend no more than $150.

You need to figure out how much you care about isolation (how little outside noise you hear) and leakage (how much of the sound of the headphones can be heard by other people nearby).

If you don't care about either of these, then look no further than the Audio Technica ATH-AD700, an open headphone which can be had for $100 at Amazon. Not suitable for libraries or cubicles, though.

If you do care about isolation/leakage, it becomes more complicated. I can't leak much noise, but don't care as much about isolation. This narrows it pretty well to the Audio Technica ATH-A700, a closed phone for $120, or the Denon 1001, which can be had for $80 or so. The Denon does not isolate well. Both are reported to be very comfy, although the Denons are a bit smaller, so if you have big ears I'd lean to Audio Technica.

The Beyers look great but cost over $200.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #18 of 30
No budget = Stax SR-007 ...
o2smile.gif

Very comfortable! ...and wont fail in the sound department either.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found the sennheiser and beyerdynamic headphones to be the most comfortable thanks to their soft velour ear pads and around the ear design.

I prefer velour to fake leather, but that is simply a personal preference.

On a budget the Beyer DT770, DT880, Senn HD595, HD580 were headphones that I considered quite comfortable.

As strange as it sounds, on a real budget, the Senn PX100 I also find very comfortable, even though they rest on your ear.

+1 to what Towert7 said and I would also like to add the sennheiser hd590s if you can find a pair. I love mine.

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #20 of 30
Grado GS1000.
Very comfortable to wear but you have to listen to them first.
Most people find this can sounds harsh on top and bass heavy.

Dec 20, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #21 of 30
I'd go with the creative aurvana live.
Not expensive,incredibly comfortable and sound nigh on identical to the denon 1001,not much isolation though but amazing sound.
Or if you want something a little better maybe the beyer dt231 galactic which is ultra comfortable,once again isolation isn't great but the sound is sublime.

Dec 20, 2008 at 8:27 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to add a new pair of headphones to my christmas wishlist, but I know virtually nothing about the market. Specifically, I'm looking for physical comfort above sound quality. I'm totally happy with the sound quality of my ipod earphones, I'm not looking for anything fancy. I'm also partial to over-the-ear headphones. I don't know how I can judge the comfort of a pair of headphones without actually wearing them, but if you have suggestions I'd very much appreciate it.

Audio Technica ATH-AD700s

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #23 of 30
Audio Technica A and AD series. The system they use is unique as far as I know and it just sort of floats on your head with very little clamp and soft cushions. I have the AD900s and they are much more comfortable than my Beyer 770 Pro, Grado SR60, former Senn 580, AT ES7, former Denon 1001, and any phones I tried at the one meet I attended.

Look at the A700/900 and the AD700/900, depending on your budget and need for a closed headphone.

Mooch

Dec 20, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No budget = Stax SR-007 ...
o2smile.gif

Very comfortable! ...and wont fail in the sound department either.

Oh goodness yes! Incredible comfort imo.

Dec 21, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #25 of 30
Sony XB700
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #26 of 30
I second (third, fourth...?) the recommendation of BeyerDynamic cans. Of the many headphones I own, the DT770s are definitely comfiest.

And to MaZa, What is with those BUMPS?! I have always wondered about that. If not for those, I think the 701s would be on par.

Dec 22, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #28 of 30
Seems to be more Audio-Technica ATH-A/AD recommendations than anything else. Must be good reason for that. Get a AT, I am (see sig).
Good Luck & Happy Holidays
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Dec 22, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second (third, fourth...?) the recommendation of BeyerDynamic cans. Of the many headphones I own, the DT770s are definitely comfiest.

I'm another one!
smily_headphones1.gif

I own at the moment a BeyerDynamics DT990 ('05 ed) and they are wonderful in confort.

I suppose Cakebread doesn't have a big budget if you don't mind much on SQ and you are happy with the ipod earphones.
Personally i would go for a DT770 or DT990 depending your music if its good for your budget. Much more confort than Senn HD555 which i used too, IMO.

ATH-M50 could be too a very nice option, not expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back