Looking for good headphones for anime music, especially for female vocal. Hoping that it plays well with HDVD800.
Jan 26, 2015 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

samuelnsh

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good pair of headphones to listen to anime music, particularly anime OP/ED/character songs/anything that involves human voice.

My current setup includes an HDVD800 + HD800, loving it for classical, instrumental anime OSTs, oldies, etc. But when it comes to anime op/ed or about any anime music involving female vocal, I just can't fully immerse myself into the music. The female vocal don't feel "sweet" enough. Often they feel too far away and too unfocused. To list examples of songs which I'm quite unsatisfied of, there are:
Ichiban no Takaramono from Angel Beats (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm7Xf9818FM)
Twinkle Snow '13 from White Album 2 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkifDihQj_Y)
Koko from Kyousougiga (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMi7GgTGLMg)
etc. 
I also listen to some ACG covers by Exit Trance, and HD800s just don't play well with them whatsoever.

I want something that would enable me to enjoy anime music. Something that gives sweet and focused vocal. Something forgiving for casual listening.

From threads that I've read, I've seen people recommending Audio Technica AD1000/2000, W5000. Have also seen recommendations for Foxtec TH900. Would like to see what you guys think about these products. But please feel free to recommend something else too.

If possible, it'd be nice if I could drive the new headphone with the HDVD800, so I don't have to invest on another amp. But if absolutely necessary, I'm not entirely refusing the idea of getting another amp. Also hoping to keep the cost under $1000. $1500 max. $2000 stretch max... Goddammit whatever you think would make me a happier man just throw them at me!

I appreciate any recommendations that y'all could provide 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 4
Audio Technica headphones would be a good choice, my friend got a W5000 to listen to vocals and he likes it, it also works really well with the HA5000 amp
On the other hand, you could consider these electrostatic headphones like STAX, very detailed, it performs in a different way compared to dynamic headphones, and they are not cheap..

Jan 26, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #3 of 4
  Audio Technica headphones would be a good choice, my friend got a W5000 to listen to vocals and he likes it, it also works really well with the HA5000 amp
On the other hand, you could consider these electrostatic headphones like STAX, very detailed, it performs in a different way compared to dynamic headphones, and they are not cheap..

Thanks for your response!

So one vote for W5000 + HA5000. Seems like inside Japan I could get the both of them at ~1300-1400USD. Would consider for my summer trip to Japan!

Do you have any experience with AD2000X or other headphones that excel at female vocal?

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 4

Thanks for your response!

So one vote for W5000 + HA5000. Seems like inside Japan I could get the both of them at ~1300-1400USD. Would consider for my summer trip to Japan!

Do you have any experience with AD2000X or other headphones that excel at female vocal?

I haven't used the AD2000X, but I've heard it's a quite balanced headphone, and the vocals are very close to your ears, overall it's pretty

Also you want the music to be "sweet", so you probably want those headphones that perform better in the mid-high range

Users who are viewing this thread

Back