Looking for good headphones (comfort is important)
Jun 20, 2015 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Solduios

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys I recently starting to look for high end headphone. My current daily driver is NVX XPT100 and the head band recently just started to become uncomfortable. (other minor issues too)

I was looking at getting back into a open headset seen the reviews on the MDR-MA900 but not sure if they still stack up to what you can get now for around $200.

The other set I was looking at is closed but looks pretty comfortable and even though not many reviews it seems very positive. 

Yamaha HPH-MT220 Studio Monitor Headphones and I found some on sale for $145 which seems like an amazing price.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Would like to stay under $200 if possible this is my next baby step up in head phone quality.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 13
I have heard so many headphones, including some of the most expensive ones, yet the MT220 is still my favorite! Go for it, man. Even I was impressed by them, and I hate the sound of the XPT100. To enhance the sound of the MT220, stuff some gauze (not too much) under the ear pads on the left and right sides. This helps separate your ears from the drivers. Also experiment with the position of your ears. I found that moving my ears to the front resulted in the best sound, whereas the mids were too recessed with my ears in the middle.

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 13
  I have heard so many headphones, including some of the most expensive ones, yet the MT220 is still my favorite! Go for it, man. Even I was impressed by them, and I hate the sound of the XPT100. To enhance the sound of the MT220, stuff some gauze (not too much) under the ear pads on the left and right sides. This helps separate your ears from the drivers. Also experiment with the position of your ears. I found that moving my ears to the front resulted in the best sound, whereas the mids were too recessed with my ears in the middle.

Do you need anything special to drive them? Recently built a new computer but using its on board sound which is surprisingly good since you can run it in direct power mode off the power supply. I am guessing this is for a built in headphone amp? Or should I think about buying a head phone amp down the road?

Jun 20, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 13
  Do you need anything special to drive them? Recently built a new computer but using its on board sound which is surprisingly good since you can run it in direct power mode off the power supply. I am guessing this is for a built in headphone amp? Or should I think about buying a head phone amp down the road?

Definitely get an amp later, but you can drive it with a computer to start with.

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 13
  Suggest any amp to combo with it or the usual recommend one on this forum?

Also what about my question on open back headphones?

Depends. Do you plan on only using one or two headphones? Or do you want to build a collection of many headphones in the future? If you are only going to be using easier to drive headphones, you don't need much power and can get by with a Schiit Fulla. That's what I used with the MT220 when I owned it. Some people say that more expensive amps might sound better, but that's a journey in and of itself. I plan on getting the JDS Labs The Element amp/DAC next, because I want to use it with many different headphones, some of which are harder to drive.

What question? Be specific.

Jun 20, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #7 of 13

Depends. Do you plan on only using one or two headphones? Or do you want to build a collection of many headphones in the future? If you are only going to be using easier to drive headphones, you don't need much power and can get by with a Schiit Fulla. That's what I used with the MT220 when I owned it. Some people say that more expensive amps might sound better, but that's a journey in and of itself. I plan on getting the JDS Labs The Element amp/DAC next, because I want to use it with many different headphones, some of which are harder to drive.

What question? Be specific.

Oh sorry on open head phones any that would compare to MT220 for the same price range? Herp derp thought I asked but distracted posting while gaming.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 13
Well Yamaha HPH-MT220 Studio Monitor Headphones are ordered hope they  are comfortable and sound good. Next thing I need to do is order a mod mic then an headphone amp.

Jun 21, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Do you have gauze lying around? If not, it only costs a few dollars. Putting some under the left and right sides of the pads helps separate your ears from the drivers and can improve the sound. Just don't use too much gauze, because then, the sound just becomes bloated. Also remember to experiment with the position of your ears in the pads.

Jun 21, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #12 of 13
I can recommend the ModMic's from AntLion, better than any of the gamer headsets i have used. only downside is that its annoying to have two cables going to the headphones, i solved this with 6mm cable sleeve, zip ties and some tape.

I been looking for amplifiers myself lately, some few thumb-rules one needs to pay attention to, like that 1/8 ohm thingie to make sure the system has controlled bass(make sure the output impedance of the amp is under 1/8 of the headphones).

Schiit Magni 2 Uber or Objective 2 is good places to start looking.

Jun 22, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 13
  I can recommend the ModMic's from AntLion, better than any of the gamer headsets i have used. only downside is that its annoying to have two cables going to the headphones, i solved this with 6mm cable sleeve, zip ties and some tape.

I been looking for amplifiers myself lately, some few thumb-rules one needs to pay attention to, like that 1/8 ohm thingie to make sure the system has controlled bass(make sure the output impedance of the amp is under 1/8 of the headphones).

Schiit Magni 2 Uber or Objective 2 is good places to start looking.

Ill just use some electrical tape or something to help keep cords together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back