Looking for good earbuds
Mar 25, 2009 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MrTissues

Head-Fier
I am looking for the best earbuds I can get for under $200. I don't really understand the difference between IEM's and earbuds so could some explain that for me?

I was looking at the Yuin PK series, is the PK1 much better than the PK3 for the price?

Also for whatever I get should I get an amp to use with my iPod Touch, it would need to be portable because I already have Grado SR80s I just would like something that sounds good but is more portable.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #2 of 14
Iems are inserted in your ear canal, not just placed in your ear. Iems don't move and they isolate you from the outside world.
This thread might be of some use to you if you want buds. Fiio amps are pretty good and cheap, but you'll have to run a search for some better amps. Ibasso T4 would probably be my next portable amp.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 14
What sound signatures do you like? Are you a fan of bass, midrange, or treble? Do you prefer a balanced sound signature? What type of music genres do you like? Just need to know what you're looking for before I can recommend an iem. $200 US?

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #5 of 14
For an amp, get the FiiO E5, $20 from dealextreme.
For IEMs you could get the Phonak Audeo, Monster Turbines, IE7, Atrio M5, RE0, and others. Look around at the comparisons, and see which is right for you.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 14
I enjoy my "bang for buck" PFE's by Phonak which cost $139. You can also get them cheaper (10%off) with this: YTECH10. Comfortable, great sound, 2 filter types to pick your preferred sound, 2 year warranty, and a 14 day money back period.

Some similar threads are already present with questions similar to yours. Like this. Lots of pfe love in that thread. Then again my iem experience is limited so let others help you decide as well.

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 14
Good choices. But going back to earbuds, PK1s are very good. I enjoy mine everything, a pretty big step from the PK3.

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Young Spade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you get the PK1s, you are going to have to have something to drive them. If you plan to use them out of a portable player, then you will have to get a portable amp also.

Yes you will need an amp to get the PK1s to full potential, but they sound great without an amp too, just might be lacking in volume depending on what kind of source you are using. A tiny E5 works just fine with them.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 14
The PFE's and Monster Turbines supposedly sound like Grado's. If you're looking for a similar sound signature, those would probably be your best options. No idea on the amps. Depends how serious you are about it sounding good I guess.

Mar 28, 2009 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 14
Yup I've also heard that the Phonaks have got that Grado sound goin.

Mar 28, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #14 of 14
I don't really know anything other than Grados but I really like the sound of my Grado's so thats maybe right for me.

I listen to lots of Rock, Triphop, hiphop, industrial would the PFEs be good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back