Looking for good Dac/Amp
Apr 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Thlayli

New Head-Fier
Warning: The following contains opinions that some might find offensive. please do not start any flame wars as the subject is personal preference.

Let me get to the point, I'm currently in the market for some supporting audio equipment for my laptop so I can get the most out of the MMX 300 I'll be acquiring. However, I do not want to buy anything made in China. I am not doing this because everyone keep thinking they make low grade goods (which they do sometimes). My main objection is the industrialized poaching of animals in Africa that the Chinese middle class is supporting. I am currently on an embargo of all Chinese made goods, and because of this I no longer know what equipment to purchase as so many electronic equipments are made in China.

I am currently using a HP Pavilion dv6 (I know where it's made, but I brought this before I found out about the elephants slaughter) with the mysterious "Beats Audio" (which i have no spec data about). I would prefer for the things I buy to be:

Portable

Affordable - About up to 300 USD unless it has the fourth feature

Somewhat sturdy - It'll be carried in an attache case so that should provide some protection

Mic support of some sort this is more or less optional

Please keep the discussion about the equipment, my political believe is mine and i don't wish to be "enlightened".

Apr 14, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 12
Good luck with your search. Most audio equipment today is made in China, or at least the parts are often sourced from China. I think it might be very hard to find equipment that doesn't have any Chinese components.

Talk to JDS Labs. They do some assembly of their own DACs and amps. So maybe it's mostly non-Chinese. A little over your budget, but the ODAC and the C5 that they have would be a very nice setup.

When/if you get ready to replace your laptop, look into Asus. They are a Taiwanese company who also makes a lot of their own stuff. I don't know, but perhaps none of it is manufactured in China.

Apr 14, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3 of 12
Thx for the input. I hate to drag other countries into this mess, Taiwan is just as involved in china's poaching problem. One of the main reason I'm buying the MMX 300 is that the majority of its components comes from Germany. I know I can't get a 100% non-chinese product,but that doesn't stop me from trying. The JDS looks good, $400 isn't that much of a difference when your talking bout electronic hardware. I'll look into it after my Beyerdynamics have arrived. 

And anyone else got some suggestions, feel free to post.

P.S. SAVE THE LAND WHALES!!!

Apr 14, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 12
I didn't order the grado because they don't do mics, same reason i didn't get the Bose when they were 60% off. Grados are pretty amazing, just not for my on the go style.

May 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 12
Good choice but not portable, I think the ODAC/O2 is portable, at least I remember them mentioning batteries on their website. Other choice that come to mind is one of the portable amp/dac units that Headroom sells, some of the components may come from china but they are made and sold in US.

Jun 16, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Thx for the advice, i'm also considering doing some recording as well, would the O2 combo be sufficent to record with a headset? I am using a MMX 300 as a "Swiss Army Knife" of sorts. My friend does abridge series and i wish to contribute with a bit of extra technical support. As it stands, my mic is as good as his dedicated mic, specs wise, but it lacks the extra hardware you woud get with a dedicated mic so I'm making up for that with amp/DAC combo. Another problem is that i don't wish buy Asian made goods because of the whole humans rights, and/or illegal poaching fiascal. This makes my selection limited, so i'm willing to bump the price a little if i can get the extra utility.

BTW: I did look at Schiit, it's just their stuff is a bit "roomy" for a 4in laptop case. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 12
I was afraid of that, which is why i held the trigger on buying them. The mic thing was not originally part of my plan, but life will always throw you a curveball when you least expect it.

However should I get the O2 combo now and buy a dedicated recording equipment later? I perfer everything to be in one package, but I know when sometimes it's just wishful thinking.

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 12
I don't know what to get for recording, but there are a lot of people on here that do their own mixing, and even many who are professional audio engineers. I'm sure someone could help when you get ready to look for something :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back