Looking for good commuter IEMs for ~$250? Mainly considering the ER4-PT and IE80
Apr 11, 2015 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

shadowdude77

New Head-Fier
So my Sennheiser IE60s kicked the bucket (which they've done before, but this time they're out of warranty) so I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I really liked the sound signature of the IE60s but one thing I really hated about them was the poor fit in my ears, and the even poorer isolation. And this seemed to hold true no matter what tips I used.

For that reason, while the IE80s sound like a nice upgrade, with their adjustable bass and removable cable, it sounds like, from reviews, they still have the same issue with poor fitment.

On the other hand, the Etymotic ER4-PT is supposed to have amazing fit and isolation (two things I really care about because I use these on my daily commute), but the removable cable isn't quite as easy to remove, the sound signature is different (this isn't necessarily a con, I guess)... I guess that's the extent of my knowledge on the topic.

Are there any other good options in my price range? Maybe the Shure SE315? If anyone has other suggestions I'd love to hear them. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Etys just because the sound quality is supposed to be great while also giving me the isolation I'd need to actually hear my music on the bus and train.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #2 of 3
Check out Dunu DN-1000 3 Way - Hybrid IEM.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-dn-1000/reviews/10120

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 3
That does look like a good option, but the lack of a removable cable plus the lack of any warranty that I can see makes me really hesitant to buy them. I've never had a pair of IEMs that lasted more than 2 or 3 years, and having the ability to remove the cable would be a really big deal to me if I'm dropping this much money, so their life expectancy will be better.

I also had issues with the IE60 with earwax getting behind the metal mesh on the nozzle and into the drivers, even when I tried to clean them out with the included wax removal tool. Not sure if the IE80 does anything to make this less of an issue, but it looks like the Etymotics come with a wax guard that can be replaced, which is pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back