Looking for good closed headphones
Apr 4, 2009 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

mirh

Head-Fier
I'm going to use it with Beresford (please don't comment on it!).
I like tight controlled bass, little warm in middle and detail natural sounding highs. If possible (with headphones) I like soundstage similar to what I hear with speakers.
I listen mainly progressive rock (Pink Floyd, Genesis, Roger Waters), some light jazz and some classic.
Taking into consideration signature of this source (warm and rather analog sound) I thing that headphones should be rather bright. Dark headphones will produce muddy sound (I have it with my Westone UM2 and this Beresford).
I need closed type cause I listen during nights and dont want to disturb anybody so loudness outside is very important factor for me.
So after some searching I thing I will try this:

beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
sennheiser HD 25-1 II
sennheiser HD 280 PRO
AKG K 272 HD
Ultrasone Pro 750

What is your opinion about this set. How do they compare to each other?

Apr 4, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 28
I have the ATH-A700, it does very well in keeping sound in and out and its very comfortable. Bass is tight, like you want, and there is lots of clarity. And I have the Ultrasone HFI-780's, great, dynamic bass and rich full sound. Prog rock sounds great on both, better on the Ultrasone's.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #5 of 28
Another vote for the HFI-780s. Really great for prog-rock (and rock in general).

In a lower price range, the HFI-550 retain most of Ultrasone house sound, being less refined than the 780s, though. But still a great value, with lively sound and punchy bass.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 28
The only one that I have tried from that list are the HD280 Pro's and to be honest I wasn't all that impressed with them. I had a chance to demo them in a local store, maybe I needed more time with them, but to me the music sounded almost distant and not quite "warm" enough for my taste.

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #7 of 28
Scrap the HD25s if you want soundstage.
If you think you should avoid warm headphones, D2000 is out too. It has nice soundstage though, and I think it plays well with my 2Move. 2Moves are warm, right?

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #8 of 28
I will be trying to listen this:

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
AKG K 272 HD
Ultrasone Pro 750 (900?)
Denon AH-D2000
Audio-Technica ATH-A900

Which of them are the quietest outside? I'm going to listen at nights and how they are quiet is very important for me.
The problem is that in a shop it is not really possible to judge leaking sound outside.
So what is your opinion? Can you order this list starting form the quietest?

Apr 21, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 28
K272s are cold sounding and leak the slightest amount in a quiet room. A900s leak more ime

Apr 21, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 28
HFI-780's are what your looking for
smily_headphones1.gif
They do rock and metal very good, put my old A900's to shame in alot of different area's. In the end its your choice really.... Choose wisely, or you will end up buying/selling into a fairly expensive cycle.

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:05 AM Post #11 of 28
Recently I had an opportunity to listen HFI-780 and compare it with my AKG-K280 Parabolic. As a source my Beresford TC-7520.
For me HFI-780 was completely unacceptable. The bas was completely out of control. Without any shape – I mean it was difficult to guess what instrument was playing. With my AKG it was completely different story. Soundstage also was much better with my AKG (perhaps it is semi-open).
The mids and highs were better and more natural with AKG. The owner of 780 claimed that it had more than 200 hours but he also admitted that AKG was MUCH better.
Even small portable Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 (AFAIR) was much better than this Ultrasone...
If other headphones of Ultrasone which I consider (PRO-750, 900(?)) plays similar ... I think I will look in different directions..
Taking into consideration that I’m quite happy of my AKG but I need closed ones, so maybe 272HD or k271 mk2 will suit me.
I’m really wonder how Denon AH-D2000 differ from this AKG. I ‘m really interested this Dennon cause I heard that it is very good for some modding .
Also I must try other Audio-Technica (I thing about ATH-A900 or even ATH-W1000).

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #12 of 28
Burn them in.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #13 of 28
if you didn't like the hfi780, you're going to hate the pl750: it's highs are anything but natural. try some ath models high up the ladder than the es7 and see whether you like those. If you like the akg soundsig (like me) and don't like excessive bass (like me), you might like the better ath models (again like me).

Apr 27, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 28
Don't get the PL750 unless you like unnatural sound and piercingly sibilant highs. The DT770 is a bit better in this respect but I don't like its sibilant highs either (talking about the 250 ohm PRO version here). Mixed reports in regards to sibilance in DT770 PRO 250 Ohm though.

The Denon D2000 fits in regards with your mid and high requirement but bass is boomy unless you're willing to go the extra mile to mod it. Some people hear sibilance with the D2000, some people don't so it's a mixed bag just like the DT770 PRO 250 Ohm.

There's also the closed-back ATH-A900 which I generally dislike. Overall smooth sound but has seriously recessed mids. The bass of this would suit your needs better though I much prefer the visceral impact, slam and bass depth of my modded D2000.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...The Denon D2000 fits in regards with your mid and high requirement but bass is boomy unless you're willing to go the extra mile to mod it. Some people hear sibilance with the D2000, some people don't so it's a mixed bag just like the DT770 PRO 250 Ohm.
There's also the closed-back ATH-A900 which I generally dislike. Overall smooth sound but has seriously recessed mids. The bass of this would suit your needs better though I much prefer the visceral impact, slam and bass depth of my modded D2000.

Is this mod (markl Mods ) enough to get rid off boomy and sibilance with the D2000?

MD Series Headphones

or do I have to change also cups for wooden and cable like this (LA2000):

LA Series Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back