Looking for good close-backs £150/$220 - £200/$300
Jun 8, 2015 at 6:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TDB Jaster

Head-Fier
Alright, so just like everyone else in this section, I could use some help :)

My Fischer Audio FA-003's recently broke (could be saved with some glue, perhaps, but I I am both clumsy and get excited over new equipment), and I need a replacement.
Here's the details I'm looking for:

- Closed back preferred; I prefer the little extra bass, and I use headphones close to a microphone. Also I tend to use them on a bus or in noisy places, if I'm not near the mic.

- My Budget is roughly £160/$250. I can stretch to £200/$300 for something great, but I'd prefer not to.

- I tend to wear my headphones for up to 8 hours at a time, therefore comfort is high on my list. The FA-003's were awesome in that regard. Circum-aural would probably be the best bet.

- The most important sounds to play are voices, death metal, and heavy bass electronic music. In that order of importance.

- 3.5mm plug. I doubt that's really a restriction, but notable anyway I guess.

If there's anything else which could be important, please let me know!

I really haven't tried looking around much yet, as I am cleaning my house currently, and I wanted to write this thing asap.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 22
I've heard that vmoda makes great bassy headphones. I haven't tried one myself but the crossfade lp(2) have been popular in the sub 200 dollar headphones category. You could check them out.

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 22
  I've heard that vmoda makes great bassy headphones. I haven't tried one myself but the crossfade lp(2) have been popular in the sub 200 dollar headphones category. You could check them out.

I personally despise the way v-modas look - One may say that's irrelevant, but I'm vain like that. Thank you for the suggestion, though :)

AKG K545 could be a good one to try.

Well, I'll certainly add them to the possibility list - They seem pretty nice :)
Currently my list of possible choices looks like this:
Audio Technica ATH-A900X
Shure SRH 940
AKG K545
Beyerdynamic DT-770

I think at a very stretch, I can probably splash $300 on second thought.
Also thought about the MrSpeaker's MadDog, but since it can only really been purchased from the US, I'll have to pay extra due to my country's import laws from orders outside the EU.
EDIT: Changed the title to reflect my change of budget.

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #5 of 22
I would not choose any of the ATH series that has the wings for portable use. They are fairly big and bulky headphones, and I would be concerned about how the wing mechanism would hold up stuffed into a backpack or messenger bag.

Jun 8, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #6 of 22
I would not choose any of the ATH series that has the wings for portable use. They are fairly big and bulky headphones, and I would be concerned about how the wing mechanism would hold up stuffed into a backpack or messenger bag.

Not to worry - The headphones are primarily for home-use. And if I do bring them around with me, I tend to keep them around my neck or on my desk all day. (And if you know the FA-003, you'll know I'm used to bulky).
All in all, I'm not really looking for something massively portable friendly. It's a bonus, but of lower priority than most other factors :)
I forgot to thank you before; Thank you for your assistance so far!

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 22
What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?
Do you have any DACs or headphone amplifiers?

I own the ATH-A900X and did prefer to use them over a lot of my other headphones (until I got the ATH-W1000X).
I figured out how to get the A900X wings to work well, but not everyone is a fan for the wings.

Check out the Soundmagic HP200, they seem well liked by their owners.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 22
  What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?
Do you have any DACs or headphone amplifiers?

I will be using a Cowon C2 and my computer itself.. Which admittedly could use an upgrade sound-wise.. I need to look into that.
I used to use a Fiio amp, but at the moment, I own no amps. Though I am not against the idea in the future when I gather more money :)

As for the Soundmagics; They're unfortunately open backed, which I would think could be a problem if listen to music near my microphone. Or leak in the bus. Thank you for the help, Angel.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #9 of 22
As for the Soundmagics; They're unfortunately open backed, which I would think could be a problem if listen to music near my microphone. Or leak in the bus. Thank you for the help, Angel.

Oops, guess I should have said the Soundmagic HP150.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 22
  I will be using a Cowon C2 and my computer itself.. Which admittedly could use an upgrade sound-wise.. I need to look into that.
I used to use a FiiO amp, but at the moment, I own no amps. Though I am not against the idea in the future when I gather more money :)

What about the FiiO X3 Gen II (X3K) it could replace your Cowon C2 and be used as a DAC/amp with the computer.
Sell off the Cowon C2 for cash towards the X3.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 22
Not to worry - The headphones are primarily for home-use. And if I do bring them around with me, I tend to keep them around my neck or on my desk all day.

The wings are not conducive to wearing around your neck. Would probably not be good for them.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #12 of 22

What about the FiiO X3 Gen II (X3K) it could replace your Cowon C2 and be used as a DAC/amp with the computer.
Sell off the Cowon C2 for cash towards the X3.

I'm quite fond of my Cowon, to be honest. I'll keep it in mind if I ever break it though :)
I quite like the suggestion of the HP150's. And the list grows.
I think the thing I'm most looking to upgrade from the FA-003 is a slightly better bass. They actually felt "too neutral" (Which feels dirty to say) and I'd like to try something a bit warmer

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 22
The wings are not conducive to wearing around your neck. Would probably not be good for them.

Ah, I think I see what you mean. I didn't realise what "wings" were until now.. I think while the loose fit has benefits, I should probably strike them off the list, as I could see myself getting annoyed with them. They might be fine, but it's not a risk worth taking.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 22
Ah, I think I see what you mean. I didn't realise what "wings" were until now.. I think while the loose fit has benefits, I should probably strike them off the list, as I could see myself getting annoyed with them. They might be fine, but it's not a risk worth taking.

They'd be fine for home or office use, but yeah. You don't want to carry those around your neck. Really not designed for that at all. The FA-003 is a lot heavier build quality for carrying around, even though they are a bit big and bulky all right :)

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 22
They'd be fine for home or office use, but yeah. You don't want to carry those around your neck. Really not designed for that at all. The FA-003 is a lot heavier build quality for carrying around, even though they are a bit big and bulky all right
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed. Many a girlfriend have gotten annoyed with them during hugs. Still worth it though 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back