Looking for glasses-friendly, open, comfortable headphones
Nov 18, 2018 at 4:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Mivo

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I've been looking for open-back headphones in the sub-$/€300 (street price) category that are comfortable for glasses-wearers.

For reference, I have the following headphones: Ultrasone HFI-15G (perfect fit, but weak bass), Sennheiser HD435 (loved these, but the in- and outsides of the pads dissolved and I can't seem to find replacements), Audio Technica ATH-M50 (bit too tight for me and closed), Corsair Void Pro (relatively comfortable, with good feeling material for the pads, but closed), Ultrasone Pro 2900i (got these a few days ago, but sending them back because they are definitely too tight).

Is there anything out there that compares to the HD435 at all, both in terms of fit/design and sound? The loose fit and the flat-surfaced earpieces were pretty much exactly what I'd like to find, and the bass was very respectable, too. I listen to a wide variety of music and soundtracks. I have studio monitors, so the headphones don't need to be neutral as they won't typically be used for mixing.

Thank you for any suggestions and recommendations! :)

Nov 18, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 6
A favorite of mine for both sound and glasses comfort are the over ear beyerdynamic DT 880 which can be had well within your budget.

Be sure and get the Premium with less clamp than the Pro version.

Nov 19, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 6
Since I wear glasses too I can recommend buying over ear headphones with velour, fabric or similar material.

Leather, fake leather or similar cups tend to make noises when touching the glasses next to your ears by the tiniest movements of your head which can be very annoying.

Sennheiser HD6XX-line phones are a decent place to start and comfortable for people wearing glasses, but also many Hifiman's, Beyerdynamics etc.

Good luck on your headphone journey :)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 6
You know you don't have to replace the pads with the EXACT same thing right? I am not familiar with the HD435, but I just googled some pics of them and it seems like you could find an aftermarket pad for those pretty easily. Is there some tricky thing about the cups that isn't obvious in the pictures?

Nov 22, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 6
Light fitting on-ear headphones in general. Koss porta pro for example. Im using Beats EP with glasses right now. Any over-ear I have never found acceptable including Beyer but I guess im a baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back