Looking for gaming and movie headphones!!
Feb 16, 2012 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

l00l

100+ Head-Fier
Hello @ all, hope to find some helpful advice on this forum!

I am looking for a pair of headphones that I will mainly be using for gaming on Xbox 360 (CoD, sports games, action games) and for watching movies and sports (blu ray player, digital cable). Playing music is not all that important for me, but of course they also should be doing that pretty nicely.
In terms of sound quality I guess that a decent amount of bass is important (for action movies and games), as well as bein able to understand dialogues clearly and a fair amount of directionality and "surround" feeling.

I wanna spend somewhere around € 150 max.

I owned the Sennheiser HD 598 for a couple of months and absolutely loved them, but had to return them because the plastic was starting to break and I suppose this is a general issue with those headphones. That´s why I didn´t order them again.

I also tried some dolby digital over optical out with my xbox 360 (Tritton AX 720, Razer Chimera 5.1) but I feel that they just stink compared to the Sennheisers. So I suppose I will go stereo again.

Appreciate any advice on some good headphones
thanks

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 56
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro would be a match made in heaven for you if you don't mind some sound leakage. The bass is immense, the treble is awesome (if a little harsh for some - others love it though!) and they're built like tanks for £135....top notch bargain.

Or you could opt for the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro alternatively, same as above except possibly more bass and less treble also closed backed so your audio doesn't leak out. Still built like a tank. About the same price. Top notch bargain.

While I cannot vouch for the DT 770 Pro, I can personally vouch for the DT 990 Pro as I own them and use them everyday (makes me somewhat biased I'm sure but also by the same token very well experienced with them for your purposes) and I have to be honest and say that for gaming and movies especially the DT 990 Pro's are simply phenomenal! 

If you can afford extra then I've also heard great things about the Denon D2000, not so good things about it's build quality though.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #4 of 56
What about the Creative Aurvana Live? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-51EF0060AA001-Aurvana-Live-Headphones/dp/B000W6Y0JY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329418954&sr=8-1

I found them in the top choices of this thread here 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-all-testing-w-dolby-headphone-updated-2-6-2012
and they really seem to be getting some love. Even though I would not expect them to be as good as headphones that cost twice the money (like the DT 990 pro).

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 56
+1 for Beyerdynamic DT 990. The 880 is also a great choice, not as treble and bass driven, they are really great all arounder headphones, and are basically a mini T1. Highly recommended.

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 56
I use DT770/80 for movies and games, and absolutely love them for that purpose. It's a thrill watching action movies because of the amount of bass they produce.Gaming is also a blast! I do use them for music aswell, but only occasionally as i prefer my senn's HD650 for music. I have not heard the DT880's or DT990's, but I suppose all three would be great for moviewatching.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 56

Quote:
I use DT770/80 for movies and games, and absolutely love them for that purpose. It's a thrill watching action movies because of the amount of bass they produce.Gaming is also a blast! I do use them for music aswell, but only occasionally as i prefer my senn's HD650 for music. I have not heard the DT880's or DT990's, but I suppose all three would be great for moviewatching.

+1 , a fantastic and visceral listening experience is to be had with those cans.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 56
So the Beyerdynamic (most likely the 990 Pros) are the way to go then? 

Just to make sure, we are talking about these here, right: http://www.klangfarbe.com/shop/index.php?sh=S&p=18320
since there are a few different versions out there...

I guess the Creative Aurvana Live don´t even play in the same league, right?

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #9 of 56
If you really loved the HD598, the Q701 is the better alternative that more or less has the same strengths and weakesses as the HD598. You trade off a little of the mid rich emphasis on the HD598 for more mid bass on the Q701. Not a major difference. The Q701 is infinitely more enjoyable for me.

The second alternative that is still well balanced with a bit more bass and treble is the DT880 if you're not going to be using virtual surround amps like the AX720 or Mixamp. I'd go for the DT880 every time IF I was playing in Stereo.

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #10 of 56

Quote:
If you really loved the HD598, the Q701 is the better alternative that more or less has the same strengths and weakesses as the HD598. You trade off a little of the mid rich emphasis on the HD598 for more mid bass on the Q701. Not a major difference. The Q701 is infinitely more enjoyable for me.
The second alternative that is still well balanced with a bit more bass and treble is the DT880 if you're not going to be using virtual surround amps like the AX720 or Mixamp. I'd go for the DT880 every time IF I was playing in Stereo.

The Q701 is somewhere around € 400, right? Way to expensive for me!

I have pretty much decided on the 990 pro already cause I also hear from other sources that it is a very good headphone for gaming and movies. The DT 880 is also already over € 200.

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 56
The DT990 Pro is great if you're looking for a massive dose of bass. I was recommending you headphones closer to what you're already used to. I love the DT990s, but they are pretty reliant on their bass and treble, not so much on vocals. The vocals will be clear, but distant.

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 56

Quote:
The DT990 Pro is great if you're looking for a massive dose of bass. I was recommending you headphones closer to what you're already used to. I love the DT990s, but they are pretty reliant on their bass and treble, not so much on vocals. The vocals will be clear, but distant.

Whatever that means :) Sorry, but since I don´t have a lot of experience with headphones I can´t really imagine what that means. I guess the only thing I can say for sure is wether I like the sound or not, when I hear it.
Bottom line is that I heard a lot of people say the 990pro is good for gaming and movies and since this is where I wanna use them I am pretty sure that they will work out for me as well. If they are different than the 598 - so be it.

Anyway I will try them in a store this afternoon so I will have some time to test them before I buy. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #13 of 56
I'm sure you'll like them. They're just very different from ther HD598. Quite the opposite. The HD598 really puts voices in front of you, and the bass and treble isn't very aggressive. The DT990 Pro is the opposite where bass is really strong as is the treble, but voices aren't as in front of you. They're actually quite complimentary to one another.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #14 of 56

Quote:
Whatever that means :) Sorry, but since I don´t have a lot of experience with headphones I can´t really imagine what that means. I guess the only thing I can say for sure is wether I like the sound or not, when I hear it.
Bottom line is that I heard a lot of people say the 990pro is good for gaming and movies and since this is where I wanna use them I am pretty sure that they will work out for me as well. If they are different than the 598 - so be it.

Anyway I will try them in a store this afternoon so I will have some time to test them before I buy. 

I'd be interested to know how your demo goes whether you love them or hate them, I myself have been demoing the Denon D1100 every time I go into a certain HMV store in the high street and I'm falling in love with them! Loving the audio quality I hear but not so sure about the build quality, feels like they need babying. Audio on them is immense and about £70 on Amazon.co.uk right now. Only thing is I can't be sure what the Denon was plugged into under the unit....I mean it could've been a £500 DAC/Amp unit making it sound miles better for all I know! But yeah, I demoed them and I like them!

Also to answer your other question, I don't think you'll go too far wrong with the Beyer DT line but the 990 Pro does give off a very cinema speaker-esque sound....and I can honestly say when I watch blu rays of Lost or 24 or Heroes I'm totally immersed! Movies same story - I watch Nightmare on Elm Street (original version) with these and cripes it's unnerving!! 

Gaming is fantastic with these, I don't play online often but I do play offline a lot, with these I'll play Uncharted and walk through a quiet woodland area and you can hear the trees swaying, light wind kicking up, birds chirping in the trees against the backdrop of the trickling sound of water from the stream underfoot - then you take your gun and pull the trigger and that satisfying loud high pitched bang and low pitched thump is there too in all it's glory - all the while dialogue is perfectly clear and all of it does not sound inside your head due to the wide soundstage. Amazing really. Especially for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back