Looking for fusion-y stuff along the lines of...
Jan 20, 2007 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

asmox

Headphoneus Supremus
Bill Bruford's Earthworks, Simon Phillips' solo output, Chick Corea's more recent work (namely The Ultimate Adventure, which I absolutely adore), and other things of that nature.

I've been really digging this kind of stuff as of late... all recommendations welcome.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 5
Check out some RETURN TO FOREVER, particularly Romantic Warrior from 1976. Chick is in that band. Also Mahavishnu Orchestra, Birds of Fire/Inner Mounting Flame. I'm not really big into fusion, but I know those three are of the very best.

Jan 20, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I can't speak to your particular preferences: there are Chick Corea albums that I like a lot but I don't know what you're specifically mentioning there. That said, if you're looking for something that harnasses the precision and harmonic complexity of jazz while retaining the power and accessibility of rock, I don't think that you can do better than Frank Zappa: the album to try is Make a Jazz Noise Here, although (as with all Zappa) it comes with the caveat that this is not background music. (There are more straight-ahead versions of "King Kong" on other albums ... you have to listen to the one on Ahead of their Time so head over to Amazon.com for 30 low-fi and badly chosen seconds of it.

Jan 20, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 5
x2 on Mahavishnu Orchestra -all their albums, with the possible exception of 'Apocalypse' (never quite got that one) are spectacular. 'Visons of the Emerald Beyond' is a tour de force IMHO.

I'm not overly familiar with Bruford's band, but you could try Jean Luc Ponty, Lenny White, Don Cherry, Jaco Pastorius...or how about, from way back, Tony Williams' Lifetime?

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bill Bruford's Earthworks, Simon Phillips' solo output, Chick Corea's more recent work (namely The Ultimate Adventure, which I absolutely adore), and other things of that nature.

I've been really digging this kind of stuff as of late... all recommendations welcome.

Ha! I just spun that Corea album yesterday. I like it too, it's terrific.

Check out Caribbean Jazz Project. "Live - Here and Now"
http://www.amazon.com/Here-Now-Carib...e=UTF8&s=music

A Latin feel to it but it's terrific!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back