Looking for fun close back headphone under 500
Nov 11, 2019 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Asura29

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a close back headphone to add at my collection, more on the fun side.
I was looking at a couple of them:

-Audioquest NightOwl (used)
-Fostex Tr-X00 Ebony
-E-MU Teak

Any other headphones that I should look?

Thank you

Nov 11, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #2 of 18
I wouldn't consider any of those fun myself. As for the Fostex varieties, I guess if you consider moderate to extreme V shape fun, those might work. Otherwise, they can become a bit boring. The NightOwl is a dark and distant sounding can with a fun low end. The Meze 99 Classics is what immediately comes to mind when I think of fun. The Massdrop Noir is on sale as we speak.

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #3 of 18
You are probably going to need to test things. Everyone hears and enjoys different signatures. For example, I loved the fostex ebony and didn’t like both the nightowl and meze classic. Does that mean mhog55 or I are wrong? Not at all, it just means we have different tastes. We should recommend opposite cans to each other from now on :).

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 18
You are probably going to need to test things. Everyone hears and enjoys different signatures. For example, I loved the fostex ebony and didn’t like both the nightowl and meze classic. Does that mean mhog55 or I are wrong? Not at all, it just means we have different tastes. We should recommend opposite cans to each other from now on :).
Haha. Top 3 cans? Let's say 700 or less.

Nov 12, 2019 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 18
HD600, Beyerdynamic amiron, fostex ebony. Over 700 I would say hd800S. I should ask what are the top three most disliked ones for you, :)

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 18
I haven't tried anything that retailed for over 500 other than the NightOwl.
HD 660s
99 Classics with original pads
Brainwavz Alara
OP - Maybe check out some Beyerdynamic cans.

Nov 12, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #7 of 18
I'm just gonna throw out there that the $500 price-point is maybe a bit of a no-man's land for fun closed, whatever that is, given what you already own. Am sure that others will disagree, but if I were in your shoes and looking for a significant step up, I would probably wait and try to save to get myself up to around $1000ish or so. I personally believe you could find a pretty meaningful upgrade there and in the long run, that might be the best approach. YMMV, of course.

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #8 of 18
OP wants closed back and fun - Beats, Sony Z7, Atticus

Nov 13, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #9 of 18
what would you consider as a "Fun" headphone.
because fun can be anything to anyone.

Nov 14, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #10 of 18
Sorry everyone I made a bit of confusion with the word "fun", but I was thinking a simple word to explain what I'm looking for, so let me explain.
I recently bought a pair of Focal Elegia, because I own mostly open back headphones like Hd660s and Thieaudio phantom but also in the past nighthawks, hd600/6xx/58x, hifiman he4xx and fostex t50rp mkiii (after modded into Argon), but I wanted something close back with details, clarity and soundstage, but most important bass (that's why the word fun), and I knew from the brand Focal I couldn't go wrong (from all the nice headphones like Elex or Clear), but except clarity and details, the soundstage and bass lacks (maybe I should have bought another open back like the Elex or save the money).
I tried in the past when I start with headphones, the Sony mdr-1a which gave me headache from how much boomy bass had, really bad experience, so definitely no Beats.
I was looking in this days some reviews about the Meze99 classics, they're are really good looking with that wood, but they was saying that have boomy bass with not a lot of details, I hope they aren't like the Sony.
I had the nighthawks which was way too muffle with uncontrolled bass, but I read in this forum that the nightowl had fixed this problem, so that's why I put in my top picks.
Maybe like serman005 says, 500 dollar it's too low, and I should wait for something like the ZMF Atticus.

https://www.head-fi.org/members/serman005.417025/

Nov 14, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #11 of 18
If you want something with clarity and bass, the Sony Z7m2 are perfect for a closed back.
I've tried the Elegia, i didnt like them, felt too compressed for even a closed back. and the Elex has terrible bass detail+mid bass detail. (the Clear are better imo).

I've owned a Th900mk2 in the past and they were great, aside from the lack luster comfort but again, that price budget is way over 500$ unless you want to start saving.
The Sonys i've mentioned can be attained if you wait a bit more and save a little longer, you wont be disappointed. also they have fantastic comfort.

I would not venture into the Audeze LCD-2Classic closed. as they dont sound as bassy as the LCD-2Classic and are heavier.. lol.

Nov 14, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #12 of 18
Sorry everyone I made a bit of confusion with the word "fun", but I was thinking a simple word to explain what I'm looking for, so let me explain.
I recently bought a pair of Focal Elegia, because I own mostly open back headphones like Hd660s and Thieaudio phantom but also in the past nighthawks, hd600/6xx/58x, hifiman he4xx and fostex t50rp mkiii (after modded into Argon), but I wanted something close back with details, clarity and soundstage, but most important bass (that's why the word fun), and I knew from the brand Focal I couldn't go wrong (from all the nice headphones like Elex or Clear), but except clarity and details, the soundstage and bass lacks (maybe I should have bought another open back like the Elex or save the money).
I tried in the past when I start with headphones, the Sony mdr-1a which gave me headache from how much boomy bass had, really bad experience, so definitely no Beats.
I was looking in this days some reviews about the Meze99 classics, they're are really good looking with that wood, but they was saying that have boomy bass with not a lot of details, I hope they aren't like the Sony.
I had the nighthawks which was way too muffle with uncontrolled bass, but I read in this forum that the nightowl had fixed this problem, so that's why I put in my top picks.
Maybe like serman005 says, 500 dollar it's too low, and I should wait for something like the ZMF Atticus.

I also have the Nighthawk, you should go into an audio shop and try them with silver cables, the frequency response totally changes - becomes even brighter than Atticus and bass becomes more controlled

Nov 14, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 18

The 99s aren't boomy with the smaller pads, especially with some minor EQ tweaks. The rest of the spectrum sounds nothing like the 1a imo. If you're looking for open back Soundstage in a sub 500 dollar closed back, I'm not sure it exists. The NightOwl will get you half way there, but the Sony Z7 and Fostex cans may be a little better in that regard. I prefer the bass on the 99s with small pads or the NightOwl in comparison to the Sony or Fostex, both of which I felt were a bit to much for my tastes. That being said, the Ebony and Teak models still intrigue me.

Nov 15, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #14 of 18
Check out the 177X Go on Drop.com. Fun sound with a neutral-warm tilt. Thick punchy bass, great soundstage and well-detailed.

They’re currently on sale for $380 as opposed to their usual $450.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back