Looking for fun and color
Sep 21, 2009 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pizlo

New Head-Fier
Hi all, To start out I'm not completely new to headphones. About a year ago I got a pair of denon 1001's cable modded em and really liked them. My uses are mainly portable cans for school and such, ipod, no amp. The problem with the denons was a year of constant use wore em out. both the cups have snapped off at least once and they are beyond repair now. The search was on agian, and I got a pair of rewired hd 25's. mainly for their renowned quality and durability.

Now a few months later I;m looking again, for a few reasons. The Hd25's are very flat and I've grown to dislike that really, I think a bit more color or "fun" in the phones suites me better. I like when my music is lively and bright, not when its perfectly flat and balanced. Also they aren't very comfy
frown.gif
Also the denons would fatigue my ears afer a few hours, any open cans, (including grado's) I can have much louder and get no fatigue, the 25's make my ears ache in less than 30 mins at medium volumes, I think its because they are so small and so isolated. Sooooooooo I've had thoughts about getting a second pair of denons, but I assume they will wear out aswell, beyers (DT770 Pro) have come to mind, but they would be unamped, are they "fun" unamped or should I look elsewhere?

As always any comments apriciated, cheers.

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 9
I'd recommend to you the ATH-M50, very comfy and very bright. As for the DT-770 i always felt them to be too laid back, and i found them to be boring but i am sure a lot of people would disagree.

Sep 22, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 9
Alessandro MS-1i. Fun, colored toward upper mids, lively, but not too fatiguing. And great detailed sound. With the stock pads, they are very comfortable. Just over $100 USD.

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 9
Grados are definitely lively and bright rather than flat and balanced, and certainly colored towards being fun, especially if you listen to a lot of rock. These will probably be your best bet.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grados are definitely lively and bright rather than flat and balanced, and certainly colored towards being fun, especially if you listen to a lot of rock. These will probably be your best bet.

The funny thing about Grados is they shine with Rock (no doubt about that), but I find they're still great for listening to other genres as well (electronic and hip hop).

With the right amp, the bass can come alive and they suddenly become more fun with everything.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(electronic and hip-hop)

very_evil_smiley.gif
Infected Mushroom on a pair of 325is= fast, detailed, complicated and amazing. Bjork, the Knife, Nine Inch Nails etc. are all fantastic on Grados.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #8 of 9
I guess I didn't make it clear that because I use em at school they have to be closed
frown.gif
I have a pair of grado 125's to use at home and I love em to death. EIMS were a thought, but I have rather sensitive ears, and they would have to be in and out quite frequently witch I've heard is a real pain. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back