looking for full-sized headphones that sound like the Etymotic hf5
Oct 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gollux1

New Head-Fier
I've been getting serious about audio for the last year or so, and Head-Fi has been hugely helpful. Based on recommendations here, I purchased the Etymotic hf5 IEMs a while ago, and I love them: their clarity and balance are unlike anything I had heard before.

I've started to think that maybe a high-end set of full-sized cans would show me more from my music, but I'm having a hard time knowing what direction to go. I'm pretty sure I want closed cans, and I can spend around $300. I listen to my music on a fiio x3, which I think offers enough amplification to drive most of the options I've found so far.

In Austin, where I live, it's hard to find stores that carry more obscure lines, so the NAD HP50 and the PSB M4U 1 are the only options I've been able to try in person. Both get great reviews, but I found the bass on both to be way too boomy (though I liked the M4U 1s ok).

Because I love my hf5, I'm looking for something with a similar sound signature, which I suppose means lots of detail, an emphasis on treble, and not too much bass. (One more bit of data: I heard the Grado 325e and loved it, but for my purposes I need a closed-back 'phone.) Any ideas?

These are the options I've been thinking of:

1. AKG 550
  2. Focal Spirit Pro
  3. Shure SRH840 / 940

I'll be grateful for any help!

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #2 of 5
The Focal is certainly worth checking out - and the Ultrasone PRO 750 although that's hard core detail.

Some of the Beyerdynamic on-ears might be up your street but are more evenly balanced bass-wise.

Dec 5, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 5
Just checking back in to report: on Steve's recommendation, I got the Ultrasone PRO 750, and so far I'm pleased. The details is quite good; the only thing I'm on the fence about is the bass, which seems a bit boomier than I'd like. (In the back of my mind, I'm tempted to get the Focal Spirit Pro for comparison, but I've been scared off my complaints about the caliper pressure.)

Anyway, thanks for your help! Now I just need to figure out whether and how to upgrade my amp / DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back