Looking for full balanced integrated CD player with warm analog sound
Feb 1, 2008 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

yoms

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I own active studio monitors (NHT M-00 / S-00). The sound is analytical, lively with strong immersion into the music. My preamp is a passive Promitheus TVC balanced. I am presently looking for CD player.

My criteria are the followings, both are mandatory to me:
  1. 100% full balanced conception throughout the whole circuitry
  2. Very warm but detailed sound
  3. Price range : 0 to 1100 euros / $1650 USD / £830 GBP (buy new)

Could you help me building a very short list of the 2-3 best matching devices ?

I really thank you for your kind advice.

Feb 1, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #3 of 29
Wow, that is a tough call. There are not many CDP's out there that fit those parameters. Rega CDP's are warm and analog-like, and the Apollo fits the price range, but it is not balanced. I would have to add the Cambridge Audio 840C to the list, which I find to be warm, smooth, and analog-like, has balanced outputs, and is in the price range. I am not certain if it is TRUE 100% balanced, however.

Feb 1, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 29
A used Audio Aero Prima may meet your criteria but there's no info available on its XLR implementation, so it may or may not be true-balanced. If nothing else you should at least be able to audition one locally since Audio Aero is French.
wink.gif
(And you're in a far better position to ask about the XLR implementation given your location.)

CEC also makes two CD players in this price range that may meet all your criteria (well at least from the prices given on AudioCubes2, a Japanese exporter), the CD5300 and TL-51XR (which uses their patented belt-drive transport).

Feb 3, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 29
Hi,

Thank you for your answers.

Electrocompaniet : far too expensive for me...

Cambridge : yes, the 840C is on the shortlist

Audio Aero : really expensive, even second hand. French cannot make anything valuable and affordable at the same time (it's France lol)

CEC : is definitely the choice for the moment. Moreover, it can be found at cheaper price on Timaudio website for instance.

Rega : no balanced outputs, nope. I really need this !

As for the Cary line, I was already told, but it seems that now it is the 303/300. Do have links to check its price please ?

Thank you for your kind help !

Cheers,

Feb 4, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 29
You might consider pushing the budget and going for a used Ayre CX-7e, which can be had for around US$2000. All Ayre gear is fully balanced, and I'd venture that it would outperform the others you're considering. And if you decide otherwise, you'll be able to sell it for basically what you paid for it, given Ayre's sterling reputation.

Feb 5, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #9 of 29
I was given one. The 303/300 is too expensive...

What do you think of MHZS 88 ? I was told it's fully balanced and sounds very analog and warm. Warmer than the CEC TL51XR ?

Cheers,

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #10 of 29
I don't think you can go wrong with Musical Fidelity A5, especially as you can find great used ones easily enough. Is it analog sounding? Yes, but at times it has such clarity and dynamic slam that people might call that "analytical," which is misguided, I think. I own Cambridge Audio 840C, and I can tell you I'm just smitten with it.

If you really want to pursue analog sound through your digital gear? Don't go balanced! I tried Sony Playstation 1 SCPH-1001 with Audio Tekne interconnects & it was the most analog sound I've heard in my system. Also there's Shindo Arome CD-matching transformer which costs like $1300 which will make your digital music sound gorgeously analog w/o seeming gimmicky. I haven't heard it w/ non-Shindo stuff, so I have no idea how it would operate in the real world.

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #11 of 29
Hi,
Cayin CDT-17A seems as good choice as well. Can be found at a good price, full balanced, tube based.
The question is: does a tubes replacement (by a model to be defined) would make it sound really warm ? Warmer than a CEC TL51XR (which is also on my shortlist) ?

Thanks !

Feb 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 29
Hi,
Cayin CDT-17A seems as good choice as well. Can be found at a good price, full balanced, tube based.
The question is: does a tubes replacement (by a model to be defined) would make it sound really warm ? Warmer than a CEC TL51XR (which is also on my shortlist) ?

Thanks !

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #13 of 29
IMO, I found the Naim CD5i to be analog(ish) and chose it in part for that reason. Would recommend looking for used or an opportunity to listen without commitment. Warm, detailed, and good dynamics. Not real common and IMO expensive new, but it is a nice variant on flavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back