Looking for ( found )"end game" headphones in 2K ± price range.
Oct 21, 2020 at 7:50 AM Post #586 of 1,473
It seems that ADX5000 wins by goal in this battle... XD. Pads also play a fundamental role in the sound of headphones... Octavian may find elite sheepskin Dekoni more enjoyable, which will certainly change the perceived sound... In the ADX5000 thread there are people who preferred them with Dekini... Just a suggestion...

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #587 of 1,473
It seems that ADX5000 wins by goal in this battle... XD. Pads also play a fundamental role in the sound of headphones... Octavian may find elite sheepskin Dekoni more enjoyable, which will certainly change the perceived sound... In the ADX5000 thread there are people who preferred them with Dekini... Just a suggestion...
Is it an easy swap or there’s way to go about it? I’m not even sure how these pads are mounted or what is a size equivalent to stock pads? What’s are the benefits of aftermarket pads?

Oct 21, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #588 of 1,473
Hey! I know this may be a divisive answer but the Meze Empyreans Have hit all of the points you mentioned in your original post. If you have the opportunity to test them, I would. They are not for everyone (as per reviews) - but for me, there were a great all-rounder and can be had used for around 2k

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #589 of 1,473
Thank you for time you put into this write up and clear description of differences and similarities between those two headphones. As you know, ZMF VC wasn’t the only headphone from ZMF family that I was interested in. Auteur was also a headphone that caught my interest. Mainly, because of Auteur’s great tonality, balance and neutrality. Your breakdown gave me some valuable perspective on strengths and weaknesses of Auteurs. I was expecting that those headphones would have a bit more bloom in midrange and even less resolving treble and detail. I’m gladly surprised that they are actually a well balanced headphones with a touch of warmth.

Happy to, it was a fun experience and educational to really dig into a comparison like this over the course of a couple of hours. Really, I think my end conclusion was a little surprising how I favored the ADX5000 in most categories but it really only was that way because of the ADX5000 superior technicalities and a couple of minor things I preferred. It also shows that reviewing or comparing a headphone, by category, has some flaws as it doesn't lend the best view of the overall picture. But your summation of the Auteur is nearly perfect so I think i did an OK job of describing its sound haha.

Auteur certainly has the ZMF house sound of warmth, cup reverb, lush midrange tone; just less of it than other ZMF phones, bringing it closer to a certain level of neutrality.

BTW That Zebra wood matches your Pendent beautifully.

It really does! They did a phenomenal job of creating a beautiful visual synergy there, as I ordered both at the same time.

Also, you might look into some tube rolling options. Like with any well designed, transparent amp, tube rolling is like salt & pepper. JJ are decent current production tubes but you might wanna experiment a bit with known and respected alternatives.

Absolutely, I think for the sake of this comparison that it was good that I stuck with stock cables, stock tubes, etc. But I have a decent stash of 12AX7, 12AT7, and 12AU7 that tube rolling will be the next thing up. Have a couple NOS power tubes and a rectifier that is compatible with the Pendant, as well, which should be nice.

And how’s the comfort level between those two? I’m not asking for esthetics or build as that seems like an easy win for Auteurs.
Great info and thank you again for your contribution and very useful comparison between those two fine headphones.

Comfort defiantly goes to the ADX5000, although Auteur is totally comfortable, as well. It's really only the weight difference that's a bit bothersome to me, ADX5000 is much lighter. And as you guessed...Auteur (or any ZMF headphone ever made haha) blows away the ADX5000 in aesthetics and build quality. Happy you enjoyed the read!

PS
Based on your description, I think that I might be more interested in ZMF VC. Strictly based on higher level of technicality and signature that would add something different to my personal headphone collection.

I think VC might be the ultimate ticket in the ZMF stable. I hope to have mine sometime in December (I ordered them back in September when I was in headphone-buying mania lol) and will definitely be reporting back my comparisons. From what I've heard, the Verite line is able to compete towards the top with respect to technicalities. That + ZMF house sound seems magical.

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #590 of 1,473
Is it an easy swap or there’s way to go about it? I’m not even sure how these pads are mounted or what is a size equivalent to stock pads? What’s are the benefits of aftermarket pads?

The Brainwavz round XL sheepskin earpads .... These seem to add bass and make the ADX5000 warmer. No idea how they are changed, but you can talk to the https://www.head-fi.org/members/pataburd.6424/ Pataburd who ordered them directly from Brainwavz

Oct 21, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #591 of 1,473
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #592 of 1,473
Happy to, it was a fun experience and educational to really dig into a comparison like this over the course of a couple of hours. Really, I think my end conclusion was a little surprising how I favored the ADX5000 in most categories but it really only was that way because of the ADX5000 superior technicalities and a couple of minor things I preferred. It also shows that reviewing or comparing a headphone, by category, has some flaws as it doesn't lend the best view of the overall picture. But your summation of the Auteur is nearly perfect so I think i did an OK job of describing its sound haha.

Auteur certainly has the ZMF house sound of warmth, cup reverb, lush midrange tone; just less of it than other ZMF phones, bringing it closer to a certain level of neutrality.

It really does! They did a phenomenal job of creating a beautiful visual synergy there, as I ordered both at the same time.

Absolutely, I think for the sake of this comparison that it was good that I stuck with stock cables, stock tubes, etc. But I have a decent stash of 12AX7, 12AT7, and 12AU7 that tube rolling will be the next thing up. Have a couple NOS power tubes and a rectifier that is compatible with the Pendant, as well, which should be nice.

Comfort defiantly goes to the ADX5000, although Auteur is totally comfortable, as well. It's really only the weight difference that's a bit bothersome to me, ADX5000 is much lighter. And as you guessed...Auteur (or any ZMF headphone ever made haha) blows away the ADX5000 in aesthetics and build quality. Happy you enjoyed the read!

I think VC might be the ultimate ticket in the ZMF stable. I hope to have mine sometime in December (I ordered them back in September when I was in headphone-buying mania lol) and will definitely be reporting back my comparisons. From what I've heard, the Verite line is able to compete towards the top with respect to technicalities. That + ZMF house sound seems magical.

Your experiences with this “shootout” is in the essence a reflection of my own findings.
From importance of critical listening and what it can reveal and how breakdown to subcategories can be useful but doesn’t paint the whole picture.
I can also relate to what you discovered about ADX5000. In short that these cans are capable, technical sleeper that appears to be overlooked in light of other, well established flagships. Not to say that they’re giant killers or anything like that but they can certainly keep up with the best, if that kind of presentation is what you’re after of cause.

As to Auteurs, I’m sure they’re fine headphones and I wouldn’t mind having those in my collection, however. If I’ll decide to venture into ZMF house sound, Verite series is what seems like a headphone that would not only intrigue me with its technicality but they would also bring something “different” in terms of sound/presentation characteristics. And I do appreciate headphones like that. Headphones that might not do everything right but are special in their own way. And, I totally dig esthetics of ZMF brand.
I hope there’s no unexpected delays with your order and that you’ll be able to share with us your initial impressions relatively soon.
From conversations we had, it seems that we just might end up with identical line of flagship headphones. Lol
You’re almost there tho.
There are only TWO more headphones that I really crave after and those would probably end my search and chase as far as headphone business goes.
Unless life throws me a curve ball or something unexpected cross my path. (Just like ADX5000 or D8000 did).

I didn’t know you had stash of tubes to play with. That’s great and a lot of fun. One of the reasons I found tube gear special. It’s never boring.

Looking forward to your VC impressions but most importantly, what you think about VC comfort level. If it’s on par with D8000, then I’ll be totally on board. I found D8000 a borderline as far as comfort goes. Eventho I don’t find them particularly comfy they’re tolerable in my book.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #593 of 1,473
Hey! I know this may be a divisive answer but the Meze Empyreans Have hit all of the points you mentioned in your original post. If you have the opportunity to test them, I would. They are not for everyone (as per reviews) - but for me, there were a great all-rounder and can be had used for around 2k
I’ll give them a shot next time I’ll be visiting 46.

Oct 21, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #594 of 1,473
Oct 21, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #595 of 1,473
In fact I love this thread, but it would be great to talk about ADX5000 in the ADX5000 thread, where we could share many more experiences with all the owners of these and enrich knowledge... How about we move to...? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/2017-audio-technica-new-flagship-ath-adx5000.857632/page-56
Not sure if that’s a good idea. I’ll be happy to “copy/past” some of my comments on ADX5000 over time to that thread but we seem to talk about all sorts of things here, including other headphones. So I’m not sure if that’s (ADX thread) the place for it?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #596 of 1,473
Lioking forward you your VC impressions but most importantly, what you think about VC comfort level. If it’s on par with D8000, then I’ll be totally on board. I found D8000 a borderline as far as comfort goes. Eventho I don’t find them particularly comfy they’re tolerable in my book.

D8000 is definitely on the cusp of comfort acceptability. However, it doesn't feel much heavier, if heavier at all, than my Auteur in action. Both are more than twice the weight of the ADX5000, but considerably more doable than the RAD-0, which was just a bowling ball on the head. It had a lovely sound that was quite a different take than the Auteur, ADX5000 or D8000 though. I plan to do a comparison between D8000 and ADX5000 in the not-so-distant future, as well, definitely before the VC impressions roll in lol.

I like keeping the discourse on this thread as opposed to rhe ADX5000 thread as we cover a lot more ground here....and its just more active on here. ADX5000 just doesn't get a lot of attention on here; I think the mix of price, design (aka not the most robust, $2k looking device lol) and pickiness with amp/source makes it a tougher sell than some other more popular flagship.

Oct 21, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #597 of 1,473
D8000 is definitely on the cusp of comfort acceptability. However, it doesn't feel much heavier, if heavier at all, than my Auteur in action. Both are more than twice the weight of the ADX5000, but considerably more doable than the RAD-0, which was just a bowling ball on the head. It had a lovely sound that was quite a different take than the Auteur, ADX5000 or D8000 though. I plan to do a comparison between D8000 and ADX5000 in the not-so-distant future, as well, definitely before the VC impressions roll in lol.

I like keeping the discourse on this thread as opposed to rhe ADX5000 thread as we cover a lot more ground here....and its just more active on here. ADX5000 just doesn't get a lot of attention on here; I think the mix of price, design (aka not the most robust, $2k looking device lol) and pickiness with amp/source makes it a tougher sell than some other more popular flagship.
You brought up a good point with lock of attention these headphones receive. Build quality might not equal of such like Audeze or D8000 but those are much, much more expensive headphones. And if we take headphones with similarities in price, build, performance and care it takes to properly power it like say..... HD800s, it’s still hard to explain it. I didn’t find HD800s cans particularly superior in terms of build quality. Their amp requirements are also similar. Yet, there’s a huge following of anything HD800 series and ADX5000 get no respect. Yes, there are some reviews that are IMO quite spot on as far as what ADX5000 bring to the table but for whatever reason, community is not very enthuse about valid alternative to legendary HD800(s). Maybe I am missing something or there’s a history that I’m not aware of that makes this a harder sale. Perhaps it’s the marketing or distribution network that is the problem. Or maybe Western market isn’t a priority. Whatever the reason might be, someone should be doing a better job at giving these handphones a fair shot and get people to at least have a chance and reason to try them on.

As far as comfort goes. You already know how important that is to me. And with that being said, 500g is at the very top of my weight tolerance. Ofcause, some headphone makers manage to address weight concerns of their products better than others. So I am hopeful that ZMF is on the right side of it. Eventho I don’t have a habit of wearing headphones for really extended period of time, comfort makes the experience a lot more pleasurable. And the last thing I want to thing about when listening to music is potential discomfort with poorly designed or characteristically heavy headphones (like Audeze or Heddphone). I know how much you loved your RADs but you have to admit that performance isn’t everything if your experience becomes a neck workout. Sure, it’s fine and dandy at first but after a while it gets under your skin and becomes sort of subconscious struggle. Lol

And finally........ you really caught me off guard with your D8000 statement. Well, not sure exactly what it means but I might have an idea. And if that’s what I think it is...... You have my support a %100. And I wouldn’t blame you.
They’re fantastic headphones that also perfectly match my preferences v I mean, literally, perfectly.

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #598 of 1,473
Yet, there’s a huge following of anything HD800 series and ADX5000 get no respect. Yes, there are some reviews that are IMO quite spot on as far as what ADX5000 bring to the table but for whatever reason, community is not very enthuse about valid alternative to legendary HD800(s). Maybe I am missing something or there’s a history that I’m not aware of that makes this a harder sale. Perhaps it’s the marketing or distribution network that is the problem. Or maybe Western market isn’t a priority. Whatever the reason might be, someone should be doing a better job at giving these handphones a fair shot and get people to at least have a chance and reason to try them on.

I think its a combination of most of what you hit on, particularly marketing. The model has just never received the type of marketing in the West that Sennheiser or Beyer headphones do, despite AT being one of the biggest players in the world in the headphone game. I also think that the market for $1k+ "bright and detailed" flagships is somewhat crowded in the mainstream, and with ADX5000 coming in as the most expensive of the bunch, it's not a great value proposition for many. I've also been to audio shows and a CanJam, and despite seeing a host of HD800s, Audeze, Hifiman and even ZMF headphones to try over the past couple of years, I never came across an ADX5000 to demo until going to Audio46.

So, price, perceived build, and marketing are not helping this headphone at all.

. So I am hopeful that ZMF is on the right side of it. Eventho I don’t have a habit of wearing headphones for really extended period of time, comfort makes the experience a lot more pleasurable. And the last thing I want to thing about when listening to music is potential discomfort with poorly designed or characteristically heavy headphones (like Audeze or Heddphone). I know how much you loved your RADs but you have to admit that performance isn’t everything if your experience becomes a neck workout. Sure, it’s fine and dandy at first but after a while it gets under your skin and becomes sort of subconscious struggle. Lol

I also don't listen for lengthy periods, usually 2 hours max. I also do 2-channel stereo and try to preserve my hearing, so I can't do long sessions. But even within a 1 hour period, comfort can be an issue. While the RAD-0s had a great sound, particularly paired with Rock/Metal music through SS amplification, it couldn't make up for that brutal comfort shortcoming. Plus, I got rid of my SS amps and the ADX5000 and ZMF phones have so much better synergy with tunes.

The ADX5000 is super light but the pads aren't luxurious feeling, so its not the most comfy headphone either. I just prefer the lack of neck strain lol. ZMF pads are way more comfortable but the weight is over double the ADX5000 with some models. Apparently, the VC is the lightest closed-back ZMF has made, so I'm pretty sure it'll be more than fine.

And finally........ you really caught me off guard with your D8000 statement. Well, not sure exactly what it means but I might have an idea. And if that’s what I think it is...... You have my support a %100. And I wouldn’t blame you.
They’re fantastic headphones that also perfectly match my preferences v I mean, literally, perfectly.

I'm thinking that the D8000 just might be the ADX5000 on steroids from what I've heard so far; it has a similar profile but just more bass, more soundstage. But its all speculation until I really go through the motions. Stay tuned haha

Oct 21, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #599 of 1,473
While the RAD-0s had a great sound, particularly paired with Rock/Metal music through SS amplification, it couldn't make up for that brutal comfort shortcoming. Plus, I got rid of my SS amps and the ADX5000 and ZMF phones have so much better synergy with tunes.

The ADX5000 is super light but the pads aren't luxurious feeling, so its not the most comfy headphone either. I just prefer the lack of neck strain lol. ZMF pads are way more comfortable but the weight is over double the ADX5000 with some models. Apparently, the VC is the lightest closed-back ZMF has made, so I'm pretty sure it'll be more than fine.

I'm thinking that the D8000 just might be the ADX5000 on steroids from what I've heard so far; it has a similar profile but just more bass, more soundstage. But its all speculation until I really go through the motions. Stay tuned haha

That’s my issue with LCDX. And it’s not just weight by itself but also the way they restrict free movement. To be specific, when you lean over, turn rapidly(ish) or try to lean back, they feel as if they wanted to shift sideways or slide off your head. And it’s not just the feeling, they actually move. And that’s extremely annoying. Feels like balancing act with egg basket on top of your head. OK, I’m exaggerating a bit but you all know what I mean. And if you drop a pen and try to pick it up, chances are that they would fall off your head. No joke.
No such issues with ADX, A2C or any other headphone in my stable.

As to the price well, yes, it should be a little more competitive. But deals do exist and paying MSRP is almost never the price most of us pay for things. Build impression is also subjective and it doesn’t always tell the whole store from unboxing impressions or how it feels in our hands. Example,... it could be build like a tank but most important headphone component, the drivers, could prove problematic or even nightmarish experience. Audeze LCD-4 and Focal Utopia are just that example. There are many reports of failing drivers and I’m not sure about Focal but Audeze LCD-4 drivers replacement (after warranty period) could run you around 2K (depends where you live). And in my book, drivers are essential part of “build quality”. So there are many ways we can look at build quality. With that being said, I am not aware of such problems with ADX5000 but it doesn’t mean that there are no issues that exist. I’m just not aware of any.
As to pads. They’re not perfect but not the worst either. I like them. LCDX pads are very comfy but they cause me to sweat a little after longer period of time. No such issue with ADX pads, which is nice. I’m open to idea of pad rolling but I’m a little hesitant in case of this headphones.

And yes, D8000 are ADX5000 on steroids. Similar tonality. Perhaps even more inner detail and technicality. But most impressive is that low, articulated, fast bass. I was quite impressed with them. It wasn’t a night and day difference between ADX and them but it was enough to impress. Probably one of the very few headphones that don’t need any EQ and sound awesome out of the box. Not that it matters but D8000 also have this steampunk/industrial look that I found appealing in ZMF. These Japanese brands start growing on me.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #600 of 1,473
Totally off topic but how many of you do typical speaker stereo setup? If you do, I’m curious what you got?

Also, if any of you are interested in diy speaker cables, I can give you ingredients for some awesome cable on the cheap side that competes with far more expensive cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back