Looking for ( found )"end game" headphones in 2K ± price range.
Oct 17, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #541 of 1,473
Forgot to say that DH Labs Air Matrix are one of my favourite interconnects. Incredible flexible and good sounding. I sold all my other interconnects when finding these. Compared to the NEI-2001 which is a "white weapon" these are much lighter. But of course, silver has its advantages on good resolving systems and warm setups. But for ADX5000 they are definitely not a solution, so I guess full copper wires is the best.

DHLabsAirMatrix01.jpg

Oct 17, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #542 of 1,473
Yes, my system was tuned for warm headphones like T1.2 (or at least warmer) and I used silver interconnects and "bright" tube combos. It was perfect, now I need to realign everything and see where I can go. I am happy because in this way I am using the warmer combos of my tube collection which I was quite neglected in the last years.
Anyway I am more and more decided to try the ADX5000 against ZMF Verite. I guess that would be the battle of the giants, for me at least. So I might search for a Verite pair and put them 1:1. In the end I'll decide if I'll keep both or just one of them. Both sell well on ebay, so I guess I'll recover the money. T1.2 remains in my collection, I will never sell it. I sold all my headphones when discovering it, and it still pleases me.
ZMF VC are headphones that will be on my 2021 audition/get list. But I don’t think these (ADX, VC) headphones have a lot in common. At least that’s what I get from people who heard both of them or at the very least heard HD800s (which signature/presentation is somewhat similar to ADX). One word that keeps getting rehashed every time someone tries to describe ZMF house sound is “musical” (in summary), Which is very promising as we kinda look for that ultimate quality at the end. They’re also very technical headphones which offers more than just skillful tuning in my opinion. And I dig that steampunk look and craftsmanship. So yeah, it would be interesting comparison but they might stand on opposite spectrums as far as tuning and signature trades are concerned. There’s also a significant price difference which makes comparison a bit unfair. I watched some reviews after purchasing these cans and it always triggered me when somewhat made comparison to to Focal Utopias or best of planars (those are in 4K range). In my humble opinion, fair comparison should start with price, driver tech, open or closed architecture, comfort/build and only then have some fun comparing it to headphones of all kinds and budgets if there’s a valid point of doing so.

And I just realized that I need more tuuuuuubes to try/buy. I have few boxes in my basement of mixed vintage tubes but I don’t know if I’ll be able to find what I’m looking for.
And as we talked before about wires that will probably work best with ADX, cooper is your friend in this instance. It just made sense. Same with tubes. Tubes that you dismissed for their too euphoric, laid back qualities might come in handy now. :wink:

Oct 17, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #543 of 1,473
And I just realized that I need more tuuuuuubes to try/buy. I have few boxes in my basement of mixed vintage tubes but I don’t know if I’ll be able to find what I’m looking for.
And as we talked before about wires that will probably work best with ADX, cooper is your friend in this instance. It just made sense. Same with tubes. Tubes that you dismissed for their too euphoric, laid back qualities might come in handy now. :wink:

Well, I'll make the comparison of Verite with ADX5000 because I've found a nice pair in England. We'll see, I know they are different, but tuning is always bringing them closer to what I always liked. Everytime I listened to T1.2 I wanted to made them more aggressive and bright. So I put silver interconnects and guitar amplifier tubes which are making the electric guitar tone more aggressive. After all I listen to rock 99% of the time and the guitar tone is the most important to me. But T1.2, even if they are very comfortable and nice sounding, at least with KT66 or tubes which are bringing in front the mids and electric guitar, do not have enough punch in the bass. ADX5000 is much better in this area, and it has better soundstage and separation, at the cost of some harshness. No headphone is perfect, I just try to find my best one. In the past I owned HD600, HD650, SR325is and many others. I had a Sony headphone many years ago which I do not remember the name, but I liked it a lot. For me the T1.2 just checked almost all the boxes, if properly amplified via my tube amplifier. On SS, it is just a different headphone. I still have the Beyerdynamic A2 flagship which many claim that was buit for T1 and it cannot match my tube amplifer, so it is listed for sale.

Regarding tubes, well, I have enough. 75% of my collection was not used because they are warmer than I needed for T1. So now I just try them and I am quite happy they finally have a reason to be in my collection.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #544 of 1,473
Well, I'll make the comparison of Verite with ADX5000 because I've found a nice pair in England. We'll see, I know they are different, but tuning is always bringing them closer to what I always liked. Everytime I listened to T1.2 I wanted to made them more aggressive and bright. So I put silver interconnects and guitar amplifier tubes which are making the electric guitar tone more aggressive. After all I listen to rock 99% of the time and the guitar tone is the most important to me. But T1.2, even if they are very comfortable and nice sounding, at least with KT66 or tubes which are bringing in front the mids and electric guitar, do not have enough punch in the bass. ADX5000 is much better in this area, and it has better soundstage and separation, at the cost of some harshness. No headphone is perfect, I just try to find my best one. In the past I owned HD600, HD650, SR325is and many others. I had a Sony headphone many years ago which I do not remember the name, but I liked it a lot. For me the T1.2 just checked almost all the boxes, if properly amplified via my tube amplifier. On SS, it is just a different headphone. I still have the Beyerdynamic A2 flagship which many claim that was buit for T1 and it cannot match my tube amplifer, so it is listed for sale.

Regarding tubes, well, I have enough. 75% of my collection was not used because they are warmer than I needed for T1. So now I just try them and I am quite happy they finally have a reason to be in my collection.
I’ll be interested to know what you think when VC arrive. 99 percent Rock might validate a search for very specific pair of headphones. And I wouldn’t know what to suggest in that case. I know that Audeze LCD4 are great for Metal/Rock but they are very, very heavy and FR is kinda all over the place. So I wouldn’t blame anyone for trying to EQ them (eventho I’m reluctant to use EQ). The only other headphone that I like and that I have experience with is Final Audio D8000 (or pro version. Haven’t heard that one and from what I gather, it has a bit more aggressive tuning but not by much) but they might make your tube amp obsolete (low impedance) as I haven’t heard much difference while auditioning them. So a good SS class A amp might be best choice in that case. And that is a bit disappointing. But that’s a deep rabbit hole as we are just speculating at this point. There’s no alternative to hands on audition with your own gear so, there might be more to it and perhaps there’s a place for tubes with those cans. They are what I would consider a better version of ADX5000. With better overall balance, neutrality, technicality and bass that is truly satisfying (on par with the best out there).

Oct 17, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #545 of 1,473
I ordered a pair of Verite Open. I never liked closed headphones. We will see, I am also curious and I know I have to make this battle of giants take place. ADX5000 vs ZMF Verite Open. What a game! However, at the moment I really enjoy the ADX5000 on a combo full of energy, the KT66 driven by 6V6G. The music I listen is not what someone would expect on these headphones, but the double pedal drumming is so intense and punching. Mindblowing, killer sound.

Tubes2.jpg

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #546 of 1,473
I ordered a pair of Verite Open. I never liked closed headphones. We will see, I am also curious and I know I have to make this battle of giants take place. ADX5000 vs ZMF Verite Open. What a game! However, at the moment I really enjoy the ADX5000 on a combo full of energy, the KT66 driven by 6V6G. The music I listen is not what someone would expect on these headphones, but the double pedal drumming is so intense and punching. Mindblowing, killer sound.

Perhaps you should describe what you hear with ADX5000? And perhaps make a little comparison to T1.2s? I am not setting a trap to make you choose one over the other as they’re both nice headphones I’m sure (at least that’s what consensus is with T1.2 owners) but perhaps it could be useful to others in similar position?
Personally, I still love my Audeze LCDX (even A2C) as it gives me a different presentation that breaks away from what ADX5000 do.

And I thought that you’re getting VC for some reason...... So you’re going with open Verite cans. Interesting. That will make that comparison even more interesting. I would be surprise if you kept both but they are so different that you just might. Lol

Oct 17, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #547 of 1,473
Perhaps you should describe what you hear with ADX5000?

First of all, I am not very good with audiophile language and complex words. I work in IT, I am an expert of exact things and more related to science. Therefore, do not expect me to come with bombastic words or SF stuff. So I will describe in simple words what I hear. ADX5000 are closer to a live concert. They have a wide sound stage and that lively punch you hear when you listen to your band in the concert hall. But this type of sound, very energic and fast, is not all the time more pleasant that the one of T1.2 which is somehow modified, but very easy to listen. ADX5000 is the energy in the concert hall, while T1.2 is the soft pleasant listening while drinking a glass of red wine during Sunday evening. Both have pros and cons, and for very fast music, I guess ADX5000 wil give you the speed you need. But T1.2 shines on those special moments, when you just want to enjoy some musical moments. Both are very different headphones, and I listen them in very different setups. For T1.2 I put my silver interconnects and colder tubes, when for the ADX5000 I put my copper ones and warmer combos. But, in the end, I try to bring both to the same, let's say, origin. Both coming from oposite directions, tend to be for me different sides of the same coin. The music, perceived in different situations. Like when you go to the most intense concert, and then you listen to the track at home in solitude.
I am really curious where Verite Open will place in this constellation, if it will be in the middle, where I try to bring both while tuning, or it it will have a special house sound. Hard to say, I have no idea, I just know I want to try it. What I will do after this? Hard to tell, I owned a quite big collection of headphones and sold all when I discovered T1.2. Now when Beyerdynamic betrayed me, making T1.3 32 Ohm which I will never understand, well, I decided to look for more and discovered this incredible thread. ADX5000 are very interersting, I really am curious to discover them, but also Verite Open remain in my mind. So I want to go this path and put them 1:1. Of course, my T1.2 will remain here.

Oct 17, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #548 of 1,473
I am also in the queue for a Verite, which is VC in my case. So I hope by sometime in December I will be adding my thoughts on VC vs. ADX5000.

I think Auteur vs. ADX5000 is a pretty close comparison. I own both, so if there is interest, I can do a lengthy comparison. I feel there will wind up being more similarities than differences from my more informal comparisons so far.

Hoping to do D8000 vs. ADX5000 at some point in the near future, as well. The battle of the Japanese top of the line!

Oct 17, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #549 of 1,473
I am looking forward to this comparison, as well for the efforts of the @FYFL to make custom cables for ADX5000. I am really curios if ADX5000 will change more with a custom cable. By the way, I never found informations about the stock cable.

Oct 17, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #550 of 1,473
First of all, I am not very good with audiophile language and complex words. I work in IT, I am an expert of exact things and more related to science. Therefore, do not expect me to come with bombastic words or SF stuff. So I will describe in simple words what I hear. ADX5000 are closer to a live concert. They have a wide sound stage and that lively punch you hear when you listen to your band in the concert hall. But this type of sound, very energic and fast, is not all the time more pleasant that the one of T1.2 which is somehow modified, but very easy to listen. ADX5000 is the energy in the concert hall, while T1.2 is the soft pleasant listening while drinking a glass of red wine during Sunday evening. Both have pros and cons, and for very fast music, I guess ADX5000 wil give you the speed you need. But T1.2 shines on those special moments, when you just want to enjoy some musical moments. Both are very different headphones, and I listen them in very different setups. For T1.2 I put my silver interconnects and colder tubes, when for the ADX5000 I put my copper ones and warmer combos. But, in the end, I try to bring both to the same, let's say, origin. Both coming from oposite directions, tend to be for me different sides of the same coin. The music, perceived in different situations. Like when you go to the most intense concert, and then you listen to the track at home in solitude.
I am really curious where Verite Open will place in this constellation, if it will be in the middle, where I try to bring both while tuning, or it it will have a special house sound. Hard to say, I have no idea, I just know I want to try it. What I will do after this? Hard to tell, I owned a quite big collection of headphones and sold all when I discovered T1.2. Now when Beyerdynamic betrayed me, making T1.3 32 Ohm which I will never understand, well, I decided to look for more and discovered this incredible thread. ADX5000 are very interersting, I really am curious to discover them, but also Verite Open remain in my mind. So I want to go this path and put them 1:1. Of course, my T1.2 will remain here.
I don’t think that I would disagree with your description of ADX5000. They’re indeed “you’re there” kind of headphones. And they do it quite well I might add. The only thing that I would add is that someone might get impression that being in the concert hall like quality isn’t exclusive projection of sound that ADX5000 is capable of. IMO they do a pretty good job at differentiating between large and small venue. And music recorded in studio setting is also easily portrait without exaggeration. But I do agree that “you’re there” signature is almost always there. Verite closed might be what you’re looking for as a middle ground between ADX and T1.2s. Personally, I think I will keep ADX5000 for that “you’re there” presentation for music that demands it and get another headphone(s) for more relaxing presentation (maybe ZMF) and something that is just all-around good performer (leaning towards D8000).

I am also in the queue for a Verite, which is VC in my case. So I hope by sometime in December I will be adding my thoughts on VC vs. ADX5000.

I think Auteur vs. ADX5000 is a pretty close comparison. I own both, so if there is interest, I can do a lengthy comparison. I feel there will wind up being more similarities than differences from my more informal comparisons so far.

Hoping to do D8000 vs. ADX5000 at some point in the near future, as well. The battle of the Japanese top of the line!
Yes, can’t wait for both comparisons and please do a write up on ZMFAuteur vs ASX5000. You’re ears are similar to mine and I trust your judgment. And it will certainly add value to this thread.

Oct 17, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #551 of 1,473
I am looking forward to this comparison, as well for the efforts of the @FYFL to make custom cables for ADX5000. I am really curios if ADX5000 will change more with a custom cable. By the way, I never found informations about the stock cable.
Pretty sure (%90lol) it’s OFC (oxygen free copper).

Oct 17, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #552 of 1,473

Speaking of custom ADX5000 creations...this was what spent most of my Saturday

20201017_193504.jpg20201017_193428.jpg20201017_193444.jpg20201017_193410.jpg

Can't comment on sound yet, truly, but it is definitely wayyy more ergonomic and less microphonic than the stock cable. Unfortunately, it was a tight squeeze into the carbon fiber Y-splitter and the hard pulling through the splitter jacked up my braid a little, but no issue other than slightly less attractive aesthetics lol.

Yes, can’t wait for both comparisons and please do a write up on ZMFAuteur vs ASX5000. You’re ears are similar to mine and I trust your judgment. And it will certainly add value to this thread.

Absolutely, happy to do an in-depth comparison of the ZMF Auteur and ADX5000, two headphones that are very tube-friendly, high-impedence dynamic drivers in the same price point. Should be interesting!

Looking forward to @FYFL custom ADX5000 cable, as well. I believe we might actually be using the same connectors on both ends haha. But I am using Mil Spec SPC cable, and I know he is using OCC copper.

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #553 of 1,473
Speaking of custom ADX5000 creations...this was what spent most of my Saturday

Can't comment on sound yet, truly, but it is definitely wayyy more ergonomic and less microphonic than the stock cable. Unfortunately, it was a tight squeeze into the carbon fiber Y-splitter and the hard pulling through the splitter jacked up my braid a little, but no issue other than slightly less attractive aesthetics lol.

Absolutely, happy to do an in-depth comparison of the ZMF Auteur and ADX5000, two headphones that are very tube-friendly, high-impedence dynamic drivers in the same price point. Should be interesting!

Looking forward to @FYFL custom ADX5000 cable, as well. I believe we might actually be using the same connectors on both ends haha. But I am using Mil Spec SPC cable, and I know he is using OCC copper.
That’s a nice looking cable brother. I can’t say that my looks half as good as yours. Yes, same a2dc connectors. I end up doing a hybrid. Still cooper but Cardas on positive side and morrow audio on ground. Not sure what it will add or subtract from overall sound quality but it was necessary trade. I felt original cables thinness would affect impedance despite short run so I added Morrow Audio wire to address that issue. I got extra Cardas wire but that’s going for a longer run and that cable is more important to me than this shorty thingy for bedroom rig. It’s almost done (short one). I just need to terminate amp side connector.
190E0DEE-1DC1-4ACB-A244-5AA2D3D4BD7A.jpeg

And your comparison...... I’m awaiting with anticipation. More data points from people with similar ears to my own is always valuable.

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #554 of 1,473
That’s a nice looking cable brother. I can’t say that my looks half as good as yours. Yes, same a2dc connectors. I end up doing a hybrid. Still cooper but Cardas on positive side and morrow audio on ground. Not sure what it will add or subtract from overall sound quality but it was necessary trade. I felt original cables thinness would affect impedance despite short run so I added Morrow Audio wire to address that issue. I got extra Cardas wire but that’s going for a longer run and that cable is more important to me than this shorty thingy for bedroom rig. It’s almost done (short one). I just need to terminate amp side connector.
190E0DEE-1DC1-4ACB-A244-5AA2D3D4BD7A.jpeg

And your comparison...... I’m awaiting with anticipation. More data points from people with similar ears to my own is always valuable.

That actually looks beautiful to me, looks better than mine to me! Looks very robust, as well, an effect of your addition of the Morrow wire. What AWG wire are you using?

So far its been apparent that I've agreed with almost all of your observations, so I hope the ZMF Auteur comparison (and eventual Final D8000 and Verite comparisons) will help add more colour to an already insightful thread.

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #555 of 1,473
That actually looks beautiful to me, looks better than mine to me! Looks very robust, as well, an effect of your addition of the Morrow wire. What AWG wire are you using?

So far its been apparent that I've agreed with almost all of your observations, so I hope the ZMF Auteur comparison (and eventual Final D8000 and Verite comparisons) will help add more colour to an already insightful thread.
I like your cable clean look better. Lol
Is my cable robust? Hell yeah. Splitter is filled with liquid rubber and mash sleeves secured with 2 part epoxy than hit shrink sleeve with adhesive and than nicer shrink tubing goes over. There’s more little BS details but yeah, made to last. Mash outer jacket looks a bit fat because I cut it a little longer just in case and I didn’t bothered to thin it out by pulling it from both ends.
Gauges???? Let see.... I think it’s 33 AWG X 8 on each center pin (positive) of A2DC connector and
6 X 24AWG on ground (negative) side of the connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back