Looking for Flute under 400$
Feb 11, 2012 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lazwarth

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone here knew of any offers for flutes under 400$. I am planning to buy one in around a month or two, any advice would be welcome.

Feb 11, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Depends on what you want.
Any specific brand you are interested in?
Do you want to buy new or used? Buying used instruments opens up many more possibilities as the price gets cut back significantly once they have been used.

Feb 11, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 6
It depends on what experience level you are at and whether you plan on continuing with it in the future.

I have never heard of the brand Roy Benson though. Yamaha's usually a good choice though as they have consistent build quality and a good sound.
I got my first saxophone, some cheapo one for like 200 bucks on amazon. About 6 months later, I realized I liked playing, and spent 3.5K getting a used Rampone & Cazzani R1 that was plated in 24K gold. Definitely worth the money getting the upgrade though. On head-fi, it would kind of be like going from ibuds to the JH16 :p

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm just starting to play, I chose it for fun but then decided I just loved playing it. So I would say that I want to go on playing for quite a while. I'm also told that silver in the construction improves the sound greatly, is it a very noticeable difference or is it a subtle thing? 

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 6
The material definitely makes a difference in the sound. Usually light colours (silver, nickel) make for a brighter sound whereas dark colours make for a darker and richer sound (24k gold, black nickel). My friend has a flute which uses a gold head piece (if that's what they're called) and a silver body. My saxophone is 24K gold with a wide bore so it produces a dark, expansive sound.

If you are just starting to play, I would recommend something like an entry level Yamaha flute. Choose a reputable brand from a local dealer if possible. It may cost a bit more, but usually they will be able to provide service and tune-ups (unless you know a technician). Reputable brands are better for entry-level instruments as they have consistent build quality at a reasonable price. Going all out isn't quite worth it yet, because the instrument is only half the sound; the rest still depends on the player. Once you feel that you have developed a good sound and decide that you really want to continue, it is a good choice to invest in a fine instrument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back