Looking for flat reference phones for mixing
Mar 4, 2010 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

abernardi

Head-Fier
I already made a similar post in the headphones section, but I'm starting to lean towards an IEM. It's a bit overwhelming sorting thru all these threads. I'm new here and am really enjoying them. Thank you all.

I'm a film editor with a somewhat unique situation. I work on an older Avid Media Composer with a Mackie mixer. All my equipment is in a medium/small office with me, so I'm constantly hearing the whine of the old Mac G4 and the horrendously loud fan from the Avid audio interface. I use Event powered monitors which sound very good and flat. On occasion I need to mix shows that I'm editing and while I've learned by and large to compensate, knowing the system as I do, I know I'm seriously missing certain dynamics and frequencies and frankly I think this constant fan noise is hurting my ears. So...even though it isn't advisable to mix with headphones, I think I'd like to get a good pair of sound isolating IEMs or headphones so I can at least listen critically for long periods, at lower volumes and maybe do some mixing.

My price range is probably under $200.00 unless I can find a fantastic deal on something used, etc.

I auditioned the following with a section of soundtrack I had just finished mixing which included dialogue, music and effects. Some sections of the dialogue were over-modulated and so was some of the music, which was good because I wanted to hear how accurate the headphones would be:

Beyerdynamic DT-770: good, flat, very comfy felt ear pads, but not too detailed. A little boxy maybe?

Ultrasone Pro 650: Interesting soundstage with the S-logic. It sounded a little more distant and slightly anemic, but the detail was excellent. I did notice the s-logic effect, very slight, but I liked it.

Shure SRH-840: Man, these are luscious. I just wanted to lay back, close my eyes and spin off into lala land. They were too "nice". They glossed over the imperfections. The overmodulations and distortions that I knew were there, went by like jelly. I loved the sound, but not practical for my work. :^(

Sony MDR-7506: I've used these many times, I used to be a production soundman. They're very detailed, but not flat and really hurt both physically on my ears and fatiguing almost immediately. I don't think I could get an accurate mix from these, though I could definitely hear the problems in the tracks.

Sony MDR-7509HD: These were surprisingly good, even great and my favorite of all that I tried so far. These sounded flat and detailed...in other words, correct. The earcups were bigger, and fit entirely over my ears, very comfortable. I heard all the problems. They sounded almost exactly like my Event monitors except of course I didn't feel the low frequencies in my chest. The noise isolation was pretty good. So far this is my first choice.

Audio Technica ATH-M50: Very well balanced, flat, but not detailed enough to hear the imperfections. Great for the price, just not good enough.

Sennheiser HD 380 Pro: I loved the fit of these. And I can't put my finger on what was wrong with them, but there was something wrong with them. I don't have any more language to describe it...just not quite right.

These were all closed headphones for the purpose of noise isolation. I've read great things about the following here and would love to get some advice:

Ortophon O-One
AKG K271 MKII
Utrasone Pro 750
Audio Technica ATH-Pro700
German Maestro GMP 8.35 D
German Maestro 8.300ds

and of course the hi end:

Utrasone Edition 8
Denon AH-D7000
Stax 4070
Koss ESP-950

But those are probably impractical for me.

But now I'm leaning towards an In-Ear Monitor for the purposes of noise isolation. I've read that they really can't give me an accurate mix, but I'm not sure why it would be any worse than headphones? Can someone explain that to me?

The ones I'm seriously considering for a flat, neutral and DETAILED sound are:

Etymotic ER4S
Head-Direct RE-252
Audio Technica ATH-CK10
Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro
Westone 3
(tho these might be too exaggerated in the bass?)

I like the idea of IEMs for the sound isolation, especially if I get custom gels.

Thoughts and comments are very welcomed!

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #2 of 33
May I add the Sony CD900ST to the fight? ;D

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 33
UM3X is a great IEM for monitoring - very flat and ultra detailed with superb separation. Or get JH13 Pro if you can afford it.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM3X is a great IEM for monitoring - very flat and ultra detailed with superb separation. Or get JH13 Pro if you can afford it.

I believe that's what they were designed for.

Mar 4, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 33
The Head-Direct RE0s are also flat and neutral too.
There are many reviews on the RE0s in these forums.
Heres one: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...-er-4p-405947/
This is an excellent review by "kostalex" and also describes the sound difference in using different tips.

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by abernardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so I can at least listen critically for long periods,

Quote:

Originally Posted by abernardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just read a review of the RE-252

While I don't think I can comment on the sound, I find that the RE-252 gets uncomfortable after a couple of hours for the first (approximately) 50-100 hours of use.

So in that respect, I don't think they'll work for you.

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 33
UM3X is extremely comfortable, and more neutral than lots of other iems. It's a little cheaper than the Westone 3. But you really don't want the W3--much more colored.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 33
I'm a big fan of the UM3X. If $200 is your budget, you won't find a pair though. Even used, they are in the mid to high $200 range, and that's a good deal. The UM3X is very good about being right in your face and showing you every little detail. It has outstanding locational cues and separation.

On the cheaper side, I do see the RE252 as a great option too. Frequency response is excellent and well extended, and like the UM3X it's another one of those earphones that doesn't add to the music. Rather it will simply show you how good or bad the recording is and leave it at that. It offers great neutrality, well perhaps a hair on the bright side as lower frequencies do roll off slightly. It's very well balanced regardless without any significant peaks or valleys through most of the range. It isn't forward like the UM3X but it doesn't really hide any information either, and you can readily pick up on all the little nuances.

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #12 of 33
A concern I'm having is that I might be having the first signs of tinnitus....argh! And believe me, I'd rather go blind than lose my hearing! Anyway, I read somewhere here that the IEM's can cause more damage than over the ear headphones because of sound pressure. Anyone know about this?

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #13 of 33
The W2 might also be something to consider.
I don't have anything worth saying about the tinnitus subject, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back