Looking for first TurnTable
Dec 19, 2007 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Dr. Strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Well, there is no way I have the money to pay 300+ (Or even 100+) for a good new turntable.

So it's off to the lands of Criagslist!

Here be the options:

1: Dual 1218 in good condition with original cartridge -45 USD

2: Technics Model SL-1200MK2 -25 USD

3: Technics Model SL-1600 (Needs new cartridge) -50 USD

I don't have all the informations on the 1200 or 1600 yet (Waiting for email reply), but I'm guessing the seller has no idea what he's selling.

The problem I'm having with choosing is that I love classic looking equipment. And the Dual is surely classic looking, and can probably make a really nice sound with the proper mods. But then again, if the 1200 is in perfect working order, it's a incredible steal for that price. I wish I could get both, but I already spent on a 336i and new tubes.

Anyways, opinions and advice would be appreciated. I will update the thread once the 1200 seller replies.

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, there is no way I have the money to pay 300+ (Or even 100+) for a good new turntable.

So it's off to the lands of Criagslist!

Here be the options:

1: Dual 1218 in good condition with original cartridge -45 USD

2: Technics Model SL-1200MK2 -25 USD

3: Technics Model SL-1600 (Needs new cartridge) -50 USD

I don't have all the informations on the 1200 or 1600 yet (Waiting for email reply), but I'm guessing the seller has no idea what he's selling.

The problem I'm having with choosing is that I love classic looking equipment. And the Dual is surely classic looking, and can probably make a really nice sound with the proper mods. But then again, if the 1200 is in perfect working order, it's a incredible steal for that price. I wish I could get both, but I already spent on a 336i and new tubes.

Anyways, opinions and advice would be appreciated. I will update the thread once the 1200 seller replies.

If the tables are in good condition,buy all three.The Dual is an older well made rim drive with a limited upgrade path.The Technics 1600 is a sort of 1200 with full automatic features.The Technics 1200 MK2 has the most upgrade potential assuming the table is in good condition.Don't worry about the cartridge.You can get an AT95E from LP Gear for $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back