Looking for first pair of IEMs
Feb 5, 2008 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

yankeedude13

New Head-Fier
I was going to just get the Creative EP-630s, but I asked around on another forum and was directed here for the expertise.

I want a pair of good IEMs to be almost entirely used with my iPod for around $100, but cheaper is better. I listen to only rock, but all kinds of it, from heavy metal to soft, almost pop, rock. Isolation isn't a huge factor, but good bass is important for my kind of music. Looks are also part of my decision.

From the bit of research I've done, my favorites seem to be the Creative Aurvanas and the Shure SE 110s. I don't particularly like the looks of the Ultimate Ears SF3s, or the over ear style for them, but they seem to be favored here. There's also the UM1s and the Ety ER6 series in that price range, but I'm open to suggestions. What would be the best in my range and for that kind of music?

Feb 6, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 12
I hear the UM1's are great for rock and the Ety series may not suit your needs. Stay away from the aurvana too, they are a single armature and are not known for their bass, plus are not good value for money. The SE110 aren't too bad, I tried them a few weeks back, but in terms of value, i would go the UM1's.

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 12
Denon C700s. Good bass, good construction, great sound overall. Plus they're pretty cheap. If not, spend a bit more for the Future Sonic Atrio M5s
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon C700s. Good bass, good construction, great sound overall. Plus they're pretty cheap. If not, spend a bit more for the Future Sonic Atrio M5s
smily_headphones1.gif

The Atrio's would be my top pick but given the price limit of $100, the UM1's seem like the best option.

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 12
UM1's or Atrios. The atrios are a bit more money at around 150, but I think they would be a better fit for you.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 12
yankee, the more you spend to start . . . the less you'll spend overall. That being said, you should save up for either the Denon C700 (my personal favorite) or the Atrios M5. The Atrio is a little warmer then the Denon (more bass), but the Denon has better highs.

Denon AH-C700 $141.37

Check out http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...ght=denon+c700

If you REALLY need to save the money then buy the MylarOne X3i from Jaben.net. The build quality is not the strongest though (Wilson will replacethem if broken).

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 12
I would save up and get the SF5 Pro. It is even larger than the SF3 and still over the ear, but I think that they are the best sounding IEMs in the <$200 price range. Like you said, bass is important in rock music and the SF5 Pro will not disappoint with its strong bass and nice (for me) treble.

I have heard good things about the UM1 and Denon C700.

Feb 6, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #8 of 12
Either the UM2 or SF 5 ere good for your needs. You should save more money for better phones, otherwise you will find yourself looking for better phones in the next couple of months.

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #11 of 12
First pair?
Why not head down to Circuit City and get some Marshmallows on special for 9 bucks...
It is an easy way to find out if you like phones stuffed into your ears.

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:46 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First pair?
Why not head down to Circuit City and get some Marshmallows on special for 9 bucks...
It is an easy way to find out if you like phones stuffed into your ears.

I disagree. The Marshmallows actually have a rather unconventional fit. They have that odd little downward-facing solid plastic "tail," for lack of a better term, where the cord connects. This bump really bothers some people, as you may have to push the 'phones in far enough for that bump to dig at your ear if you want to get decent sound and isolation. Also, where the foam sleeve meets the body, the sharp drop-off of the body results in a pressure point that can also be irritating depending on the shape of your outer ear canal.

So, no, it's hardly a good way of finding out if you like things in your ears. It's a good way of finding out if you like the Marshmallows in your ears, and that's about it.

A better way of testing your tolerance (or lack thereof) for canalphones is to try something like the EP-630, which has no painful protrusions or anything.

Also, you may want to try out some Shure E2c's-- which loop over your ear in that upside-down-ish style-- from a friend or a store that accepts returns on canalphones, to see what you think of them. If you can tolerate the bulkiness and the loop-over-the-ear style, you should have little trouble finding a great-sounding pair that will meet your comfort needs. Personally, though, I can't stand them. It's my sensitive ears.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back