Looking for first good SQ rig ~£200 - Sourced in the UK
Sep 19, 2008 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MysticBiscuit

New Head-Fier
Hey,
I've been lurking for a few weeks now, and have picked up the basics...

Basicially I'm looking to spend around £200 on a new mp3 player with cans.
So firstly I'll start with the cans;

The main use for the headphones will be for both commuting and home use, so I'm thinking closed back.. However, I can be swayed to open-back if there are some good bang-for-buck 'phones! I mainly listen to rock\indie\punk, so something with a bit of bass would be nice, but not really over powering as I kinda like a pure sound!
Ive been looking at:
-AKG K 518 DJ
-Sennheiser HD215

Not much, but I'm not really too sure where to source good 'phones from in the UK...

Also considering the iGrado's.. I would love a pair of SR-60's if they were cheap over here!

Then onto the actual player..
Capacity and battery life are my main requirements (SD cards are a plus!), however I am really after something with something special in the sound quality department!
So after a bit of browsing i came across:
-Creative Zen X-fi (I've been warned to avoid like the plague)
-Cowon D2
-Sony walkman (of some description)
-iPod Classic

I get the feeling im asking a bit too much for the amount of cash i can spend
frown.gif

So any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #2 of 13
I'll start things off by saying the 518s aren't going to do it for you. They do indead have a big bass (and I mean big) but for your kind of music you need something with a fast and punchy response. Although I've never heard them I think you're right to mention the SR60s. They can be had for around £70 in the UK so not too outrageous, leaving you some headroom for your DAP. Not sure if the D2 is right for the grados though as I reckon you need something warmer than it's analytical sound (I found it a bit bit bass light too)

Sep 19, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 13
for 50 quid to give you an idea about what you could use as a benchmark for sound quality get the clip and the koss ksc 75

seriously, even if they dont fit your criteria I think this rig is essential for all people starting out in this hobby and for the money i gives you a great intro and more importantly, a superb sq benchmark with which to gauge other equipment by.

For the money you really should get this rig.

Sep 19, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 13
I imagine Cowon D2 and Ultrasone HFI 780 would sound great together.

You could get 4GB D2 for £100 and get more storage later. The Ultrasones are on offer for £110 - google will find them.

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks for you replys!

After a bit of thought, I've decided to follow danner1975's idea..

Ordered a 4gb clip and a pair of Koss Portapros (Apparently on par with the ksc75's, and I love the retro styling
biggrin.gif
)

However, I think ill look at a new DAP when the new iPods have fully established their place on the market, and hopefully see what they do to the prices of things.. But at the moment, the Zune looks to be the best bet...

Another note, would i notice an improvement in sound if i was to get a portable amp too? I was under the impression they were only for large cans, but after looking at a few pics in the 'Post your portable rig' thread, I saw a few 'smallish' cans with a pretty hefty looking amp attached to it. So I've been looking at the FiiO and the Penguin Caffeine amp... But as the new FiiO hasn't been released yet, is it worth waiting?!

Thanks again!

(I can tell my pay packet is gonna be burnt up pretty quickly from now on..)

Sep 22, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 13
Source > quality of recordings* > headphones > amp > interconnects?

imho in that order of effect on SQ (although the first 3 are all pretty much interchangeable and/or upgraded at the same time regardless). If I was you I would not split your budget for an amp and focus on headphones and a new DAP. If you are willing to increase your budget I would still advise you to look at *better* headphones

*[size=xx-small]by that I mean format and bitrate of music files and having been ripped from CD originally[/size]

Sep 23, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Hmm, I've received both the portapros and the clip, and truth be told, I'm rather damn impressed!

Already the quality is noticeable, and I've only spend £50!

However, I still cant help but wanting more... I mean sure, the Portapros are fantastic, and very portable, but as pay-day is just 3 days away, I'm thinking in investing in some of these *better* headphones :p

So I'm looking at around the £100 mark..
(I'm not sure if I should make a new thread in Full-sized 'phones, but I'll put it here for now..)

After a bit of thought and research, I'm unsure whether to go open\closed back, as I'd like to use these cans mainly at home, but occasionally on the move.
I've got a somewhat larger list of 'phones this time and I was wondering if anyone could give any advice!
-Ultrasone HFI-780 (Awesome soundstage and isolation I've heard)
-Audio Technica ATH-AD700
-Audio-Technica ATH-A700 (closed\open better?)
-Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 (Kinda pushing my price limit...)
-DENON AH D1000/1 (Is there any difference between d1000 and d1001?)
-Sennheiser HD25 II (With a re-cable)
-M-Audio Q-40

After noticing the soundstage with the portapros, I think it's a pretty important factor!
As before these will be mainly used for rock\indie\post-rock\gaming, but I don't want something too analytical, something 'fun' sounding would be nice...
And of course, something that pairs with a Clip! (With a little amplification from a FiiO if needed...)

Please feel free to recommend others!
(Also retailers! The best I've found so far are iheadphones and audiocubes...)

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 13
I think if you would also use them for gaming and you want a "fun" sounding phone, I would get the Ultrasones, haven't heared all of the others you listed, but I think it is a great allrounder ......

great for games movies because of the 3d/dolby surround like sound
great kicky bass
very wide soundstage
great out of heaphone jack
........and so on

the only think i don't like is, for my personal like the soundstage is a little to wide for rock.... my personal preference (for that I have the MS-1, also great phone and "cheap" in Europe - UK)

So hope I could help you

cheers tom

Sep 23, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleardynamik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if you would also use them for gaming and you want a "fun" sounding phone, I would get the Ultrasones, haven't heared all of the others you listed, but I think it is a great allrounder ......

great for games movies because of the 3d/dolby surround like sound
great kicky bass
very wide soundstage
great out of heaphone jack
........and so on

the only think i don't like is, for my personal like the soundstage is a little to wide for rock.... my personal preference (for that I have the MS-1, also great phone and "cheap" in Europe - UK)

So hope I could help you

cheers tom

You helped out quite a bit!

Any more info on these Alessandro ms-1's they seem to sound pretty awesome, but quite elusive..

Sep 25, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 13
I have a pair of ATH-A700 and like them a lot. I also have a pair of koss portapro, but not with me at the moment. If you can hold off buying until early next month I should be able to compare them side by side (although I'm no expert at audio so might not use all the appropriate terminology).

I like that the ATH-A700 isolate me a fair bit, blocking sound out. They don't leak much sound either, so I don't aggravate those in my surrounding too much. They're also comfortable to wear (although if possible, try them out yourself) except when the weather is really hot. The main downside I can think of is that they're a bit big to wear when moving about a bit more, so I'm considering getting some earphones for that. Just inspected them and only found two minor signs of damage. With heavy use, the occasional cat pushing them of tables a fair few times etc, that's not too bad I don't think.

Just realised, I have a question as well: For DAPs that can take SD cards (such as Cowon D2), how important is the class on the SD? Is there any noticeable difference between say class 4 and 6?

Sep 25, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just realised, I have a question as well: For DAPs that can take SD cards (such as Cowon D2), how important is the class on the SD? Is there any noticeable difference between say class 4 and 6?

The only difference is the speed of data transfer.

Class 4 cards @ 5MB/s
Class 6 cards @ 20MB/s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back