Looking for feedback on a computer stero sys.
Jun 4, 2008 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Joatm0n1

New Head-Fier
My current setup is a custom built gaming rig with audiogy 2 zs and creative s750 7.1 speakers.

I have another PC that I would like to setup just for listening to stero playing classic rock burned from my CD collection, by either hooking

up a good pair of computer speakers or a receiver/hifi speaker.

I been reading some good reviews on Audioengine A5, but I am wondering how much an improvement in sound I would get over the

gaming rig I have.

Here are my options

A. Stop looking and just use the gaming rig for music.
B. Get the Audioengine A5 because they will sound better then current setup.
C. Use my old HK avr65 receiver and buy a good set of floorstanding speakers.

If the Audioengine A5 sound that great, would I really hear a big difference with the receiver/floorstanding setup?

Room is 8x16

I understand if I went with option C, I may want to look into a better sound card and even a DAC setup. my question here is would that

make a big difference then compared to coming out of the sound cards digital connection into the receiver digital input.

Bottom line, looking to build the best computer stero setup for under $1,000.

Also, anyone know of a web site that I could learn about different equipment for these types of setup and which are better.

TIA for any input.

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 28
Hi,

when you say 8X16, 8 what? Feet or meters? Anyway, the cheaper but safest way is to go with the audioengine. It's quite well received, though I've not heard one myself. As for floorstanders, they're not suited for smaller (untreated) rooms. The bass would be bloated and there will be much more reverbs than if you just have a bookshelf on stands. Moreover, I'm not sure, but you'll probably get better performance out of a dedicated stereo integrated amp. May I suggest getting a NAD 325BEE or a Marantz PM7001, both of which I've heard and find great value for money. Then invest in a pair of bookshelves (like the Usher S520), decent speaker cables and a cheap pair of solid speaker stands. ($1000 should be sufficient).

As for your question, I've got no idea. But I would think that if your source is going to be the PC, a DAC is required since your soundcard is not designed for music playback, but surround sound for gaming.

Good Luck.

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 28
8ft x 16ft

If i went with the audioengine A5 would I still need a better sound card and/or DAC.

My understanding is the A5 just plugs into your sound card.
Same understanding I had that a receiver plugged right into your sound card.

I built many gaming rigs, but i have to admit, audio is really new to me and I am hearing about things I never knew existed, so i want to do this right.

Thanks for the input

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 28
If you are still using your soundcard, you'll be limited by the soundcard's audio output, so you're using your soundcard as a pre-amp. I'd suggest a USB DAC for your audioengine system. So it'll be Computer -> DAC -> Audioengine and Computer -> Soundcard -> Gaming rig. Separate systems, same computer. You'll have to use the volume controls on the audioengine. Just set the volume on your computer to round 80%.

Remember that the placement of speakers and vibration control are very important, so be sure to experiment with different locations.

Or you can abandon the speaker rig altogether and get yourself a decent headphone rig!

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 28
Listening distance is more important then room size. Speaker location relative to rear and side walls is important, a couple of ft. away is ideal.

Floor standing speakers need room to strut their stuff. That room sounds pretty small for most floor mounted towers so I would say you looking at bookshelf monitors. If you are looking at a listening distance within 1 meter (say sitting on a desk) then you should be looking at smaller monitors, 5 1/4" woofer, 6" max. If you have more room 1 meter + (with speaker stands for example) you can probably start looking at slightly bigger designs with 6-7" woofers.

I would say your soundcard is fine. At least for now, you can always upgrade later at any point.

As far as power goes I would recommend the Trends T-amp, it cleaned up a lot of amps costing several times more in this (very objective) shoot out.

Also check out this similar thread for more info and specific speaker recommendations (read it backwards).

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 28
Get a pair of X-Statics. I would if I had the $$. Best new speakers under $1000 no doubt.

AV123.com - x-statik Open Baffle Loudspeaker

Just get them. Worry about the rest of the **** later.

LoL you know you want them.

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 28
Surround rigs are not for music listening so #2 and #3 are both worlds better than #1.

I would go with #3! Why? Well, because you already have the receiver, and it has good features to begin with. Also, in my opinion you would be better off running long lengths of speaker wire than you would long interconnects, such as the ones that run from the PC to the receiver!* Try to keep the receiver close enough to use your typical 6' interconnects (RCA Cables) or even 3' if you can, and then run a suitable gauge speaker wire to your mains.

As was stated, you would be wise to use bookshelf mains rather than floor-standing cabinets because your room is small. There are several other low-cost tricks you can perform on your room later to improve your listening experience, too.

I don't discourage #2, but I would go with #3 because I would feel sad letting my old receiver collect dust. Hehe!
smily_headphones1.gif

*And if you're planning on having your mains far away from the PC, in #2's case, that would mean very long interconnects--possibility for lots of signal loss.

Edit: Also, from a quality stand-point(in regards to #2), it's kind of gross having the amplifier built into one of the speaker cabinets, but it would take too long to explain why. (tiiireeed)

Jun 7, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #8 of 28
I would go for #3, but with stand mount speakers like Paradigm Atom, which will be more suited to a smaller room.

Then, I would go for a better source. A USB DAC like the Keces DA-151 or Blue Circle USB Thingee, etc. would be good.

Jun 8, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Also, from a quality stand-point(in regards to #2), it's kind of gross having the amplifier built into one of the speaker cabinets, but it would take too long to explain why. (tiiireeed)

Usually when you see amps integrated into the speaker cabinet it means active crossovers and bi-amplification; that would be an advantage. Thats not the case with A5s, but I wouldn't hold that against them.

Jun 8, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually when you see amps integrated into the speaker cabinet it means active crossovers and bi-amplification; that would be an advantage. Thats not the case with A5s, but I wouldn't hold that against them.

What I see is: One cabinet has the amplifier, which means it takes up volume within the cabinets internal air-space, making it unequal to the other. Having the amplification right on top of one set of drivers means unequal cable lengths to each cabinet/speaker. One cabinets' drivers are heating up more than the other.

It's just a shame that they are built with such high quality components, but they still violate some of the most basic design no-nos in HiFi.

Jun 8, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 28
My concern about the bookshelfs is that I may need a sub, and I have no room for it.

Going with the floorstanders will give me the bass where I should not need a sub.

Question, how much of an advantage would it be getting a M-Audio "Audiophile 2496 over the Audigy 2 zs?

My plan is to keep the gaming rig just the way it is and re-built my old dell for stero so I will need a new soundcard. One in there now is a SB live.

So, M-Audio "Audiophile 2496 Digital out> HK receiver, 75w per ch. digital in > Floorstanders.

One thing I am not clear on with this setup is, which is doing the DAC, the soundcard or the Rec?

Thanks again for the input.

Jun 8, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #12 of 28
If you don't have room for a sub, how can you have room for floorstanders?

You can tell which unit is the DAC by where the signal becomes analog. In the chain u listed, the receiver is doing DAC because it has digital in and analog out.

Jun 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I see is: One cabinet has the amplifier, which means it takes up volume within the cabinets internal air-space, making it unequal to the other. Having the amplification right on top of one set of drivers means unequal cable lengths to each cabinet/speaker. One cabinets' drivers are heating up more than the other.

It's just a shame that they are built with such high quality components, but they still violate some of the most basic design no-nos in HiFi.

I'm sure the 2nd cabinet is built to accommodate for the extra air volume. It would be an easy thing to accomplish and if it wasn't done would probably be pretty noticeable. The cable length and heat from the amp would be minimal factors at best.

To me the biggest downside is A: there is no way to upgrade to a better amp. And B: should something happen to the amp and your out of warranty you're probably out of luck.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #14 of 28
I'd go with C, then if not, B. There are so many choices for C though. Ideally I'd get floorstanders + a good amp like the Trends Audio and a decent soundcard/DAC, 0404 would be minimum. Or bookshelves. Or if money is an issue, a receiver.

Sample friend's setup: 0404PCI -> Trends Audio T-10 -> Polk R50 Floorstanders

The only reason why I'd go with B is because of space/setup constraints. It's what I went with and it ain't half bad. It really isn't possible to burn out the amp due to loud nearfield listening. Keep in mind the 5y transferable warranty.

Jun 14, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 28
Question now is, which would be better for DAC, the sound card or my old HK AVR65 receiver bought back in 99.

Also been trying to decide between
M-audio Audiophille 2496
ESI Julia
E-Mu 0404

The more I read about this it seems like the Benchmark DAC 1 is the way to go, but the price is pretty high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back