Looking for externally quiet headphones.
Oct 18, 2006 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

macm75

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own and enjoy the Grado 80's but my wife complains that they are too loud as I sometimes listen to music in bed. Any options out there for externally quiet headphones ($75-$200)? Thank You.

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 5
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry bout your wallet
very_evil_smiley.gif

Hmm, generally if you want those headphones that will be quiet then your best bet is generally closed circumaurals like the Audio Technica ATH A300s, Sennheiser HD280s and many others. You might also want to consider IEMs, though if your ears do not like stuff stuck in them or you prefer a very 'open' sound then I'd guess closed circumaurals will be your best bet. Plenty of Head-Fi'ers will recommend closed supraurals(those that cover and rest on your ears rather than circumaurals that completely cover your ears) like the AKG K81DJs. For your budget, there is a wide range of choices, though it'd help if you'd tell us what type of music you listen to
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I guess it really depends on how loud you will be listening to your music. If I listen at very low volumes in bed with my AKG K271's, my wife doesn't hear the music. However, if I'm wearing my Super.fi 5 Pro's, regardless of volume, my wife doesn't hear the music. My experience has been that regardless of the type of circumaural, closed headphone, you will still have some sound leakage unless you listen at very, very low volumes. IMHO, IEM's probably are the best way to go if you want to really do the best you can in sound isolation, both for you and your wife, but YMMV.
smily_headphones1.gif
My $0.02.

Oct 18, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks. I see what you guys mean relative to the types of headphones. I'm a bit reluctant to spend larger dollars on those mini phones given I have never heard a pair. I'm sure they sound great but I would have to hear them to believe them.
Concerning music types, it's a tough one. I tend to be faithful to record labels and my favorites are blue note (jazz), OJC (jazz), hatART (modern jazz), FMP (free jazz), Matador (rock), Drag City (rock), and Erstwhile (electro-acoustic/noise/electronic).
Concerning amps, I built the Mapletree Ear+ a few years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back