Looking for ER6 replacements
Mar 6, 2006 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lawbadman

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
I have a set of ER6 phones but they died a few weeks ago so I need some new phones.
What I am looking for is great isolation (for travelling so preferably closed) and something that is not too big and holds on tight for jogging. I also want something that has all round good sound, the ER6 didnt have enough bass even with equalization and the upper frequency reproduction is not so great, kinda nasty actually, not smooth like my HD 580s. I want to spend less than $100.
I was thinking of:
Sen HD 280 PRO
Super-Fi 3 (maybe)
AKG-81DJ

Are these good choices?
If there are any phones that are better let me know. Right now I am leaning towords the AKG-81DJ.

Thanks all
Lawrence

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lawbadman
Hello all...AKG-81DJ...Are these good choices?...Right now I am leaning towords the AKG-81DJ.

K81DJ, indeed. I have had mine for 5 days (have left them on near-constant burn-in) and last night I listened to some crappy 192kbps Napster downloads that were on CF card in my PDA...and it sounded awesome!! For $70 these are fabulous. However, I have no idea if they'd be secure enough to jog with.

D.

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 12
I was using my ER-6 headphones up until two weeks ago when Amazon.com had the Sennheiser CX300 for $39.99. They sound so much nicer than my $100 ER-6, How much nicer? So much that I ordered a second pair so now I have one for my portable DVD player and one for the MP3 player. You will not be disappointed.

The CX300 does let a little more outside sound in than the ER-6 but I still have no issues/problems using them on the NYC subway.
eggosmile.gif

Euri

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Euripides
I was using my ER-6 headphones up until two weeks ago when Amazon.com had the Sennheiser CX300 for $39.99. They sound so much nicer than my $100 ER-6, How much nicer? So much that I ordered a second pair so now I have one for my portable DVD player and one for the MP3 player. You will not be disappointed.

The CX300 does let a little more outside sound in than the ER-6 but I still have no issues/problems using them on the NYC subway.
eggosmile.gif

Euri

I'm suprised that they sound better than ther ER-6, that costs almost 2 times. I'm thinking of getting myself a pairs then. Have anyone tried sleeping with the CX300 on? Does it look durable enough to be slept on?

Mar 6, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5
I'm suprised that they sound better than ther ER-6, that costs almost 2 times. I'm thinking of getting myself a pairs then. Have anyone tried sleeping with the CX300 on? Does it look durable enough to be slept on?

Everyone has a different style or sound they like. Do not get me wrong, the ER6 did what is was supposed to do. They blocked out just about any sound and I had no complaints on the sound quality.

The CX300 just happened to be a headphone that floored me considering the price. I have done so many A/B tests with music and movies and the CX300 (to me) just sounds richer and fuller over the ER6.

No sleeping test yet, I would be a little worried about the cord though.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #7 of 12
Hey Euripides,
How well does the CX300 stay in your ears compared to the Er6. Can you jog with them without them falling out of your ear or even maintaining its seal?
The good thing about the ER6 is the shirt clip, but I dont see any on the CX300, I am really concerned about them falling out.

Just take a quick jog around the house and see if they fall out or not
icon10.gif

And just to be sure do a few somersaults and a backflip and let me know if they stay in your ear
icon10.gif

Lawrence

Mar 7, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I also want something that has all round good sound, the ER6 didnt have enough bass even with equalization and the upper frequency reproduction is not so great, kinda nasty actually, not smooth

I also have the ER6. IMO the Altec Lansing iM716 ($110 @ Amazon) will give the sound you're looking for.

Mar 8, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Lawrence, my friend uses his CX300 on the treadmill with no problems.

Quote:

Hey Euripides,
How well does the CX300 stay in your ears compared to the Er6. Can you jog with them without them falling out of your ear or even maintaining its seal?
The good thing about the ER6 is the shirt clip, but I dont see any on the CX300, I am really concerned about them falling out.

Just take a quick jog around the house and see if they fall out or not
icon10.gif

And just to be sure do a few somersaults and a backflip and let me know if they stay in your ear
icon10.gif

Lawrence

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:03 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by orfeo
does anyone know of a reputable review of the cx300's?, i read the one on head-fi but am looking for something written by a professional.

orfeo

Be careful where you lay your faith. IMO, many Head-fi members are much more knowledgeable than some "professionals".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back