Looking for entry to tubes and rolling. and warmth Little dot or Bravo, or anything else.
Feb 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

rock&rollfrenchfries

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for an amp that keeps the upper mids to highs under control and is overall warm and smooth and still dynamic but in a nice non fatiguing way, and/or has good tuneability to get there. Also changing opamps may be considered. 

Powering zmf t50rp (similar to mad dogs in regard to this aspect anyway). curently with a ODAC-Magni combo. I took recommendations on the magni because It is well matched to these phones in terms of power. What I failed to do was enough research to find out that this is known to be a bright amp that is not very bassy at all. Thats my mistake entirely. I was researching a lot of things. A few people chimed in I should just try a schiit magni or vali. So with minimal actual reading of my own other than at the fancy schiit website... I tried the magni. Tell me all you want about synergy. The magni is clearly too bright an amp for me. When using the t50rps or any of my iems below I can only stand the magni for an hour or so.  Then I need a break. And just using my cmoy or my android (wm1811 equipped model) is a relief. at any reasonable volume. And it's because of the magni not any of the phones... I dont mind twinkle or even some brightness. but when the mids the upper mids and the highs are ALL fighting MERCILESSLY for first place...  Thats the magni

Some of the cheaper Little dots seem to have the kind of power I need at my ohms range if I'm reading correctly. Rather than the mk2 or mk3 which appear to be intended for higher impedance phones. Bravo doesn't appear to disclose quite so much documentation. 

Are these entry level jobbies worth all the rolling and modding? 

garage 1217 products also considered. but i'd rather stay under $200 at least.

selling my odac and finding a different dac/amp combo is also considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back