Looking for entry IEM - value for money, tight budget
Feb 27, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #16 of 37
ER6 are usually underrated for some reason,but I think they are very,very good.

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysoberyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ER6 are usually underrated for some reason,but I think they are very,very good.

They are very neutral with a "reference" type of sound. Unfortnately, this also means they're not very fun.

Feb 27, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are very neutral with a "reference" type of sound. Unfortnately, this also means they're not very fun.

i hear a lot of talk about "fun" sound...how neutral is no "fun". i can't discern why hearing more of some frequencies put ppl under the illusion they are enjoying themselves more, and neutral sounds lifeless and puts a frown on ppls faces.

i really think all "fun" is is the ability to cover up bad recordings. srsly, listen to a good recording on a good source through a good neutral "refence" type phones and it woudlnt surprise me the least if u burst out laughing

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i hear a lot of talk about "fun" sound...how neutral is no "fun". i can't discern why hearing more of some frequencies put ppl under the illusion they are enjoying themselves more, and neutral sounds lifeless and puts a frown on ppls faces.

I see what you mean, but don't forget that in real life our portable sources leave much to be desired. Using high quality neutral phones on mediocre sources, to your wallet, is nothing but a time bomb.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i really think all "fun" is is the ability to cover up bad recordings. srsly, listen to a good recording on a good source through a good neutral "refence" type phones and it woudlnt surprise me the least if u burst out laughing

Isn't it a bit like the debate between solid state amps and tube amps? The tubes are definately NOT a high fidelity reproduction of the original sound. However, our ears (or brains?) like the effect of the colourationt they produce. The same goes with wooden headphones - the distortions are somehow pleasing. This is rather a flaw of the human design, and the audio quality.

Feb 27, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #22 of 37
- Am I right in concluding that the e2c is mediocre for the price?

They are an entry-level isolater. I believe they don't have the same type/quality drivers as other IEMs. There are some issues with the cables. Plus, they're huge. Shure gets good higher up the food chain / price scale, though (E4 and above).

- What sort of isolation (if any) does the EP630 have?

De facto isolation. That is, with the sound on, much is blocked out. Not true isolation -- IEMs can be used as earplugs even with the sound off, while canal phones such as the Creatives muffle outside sound a bit but don't block a lot out (when the music isn't playing).

- Is it worth paying the difference between EP630 and the ER6i?

Hmm ... I have both. Depends what you're looking for. If you fly a lot, or commute daily on a train, subway or bus, you might appreciate the greater isolation and greater detail of the ER6i. If you're looking for an all-'round upgrade -- especially a first upgrade -- from iBuds and other bundled earbud-type earphones, canal phones might meet your expectations better (I love my Etys, but they take a little getting used to).

- How does the JVC marshmallow compare to EP630 in terms of SQ and isolation?

Haven't heard the Marshmallows. Many people don't like the ear tips that come with them, and they replace them (see an earlier post in this thread). I will say that most foam ear tips tend to isolate more than the soft silicone tips ... but I think the Marshmallow foams are different from other foams.

- Bottom line - the models mentioned will all sound better than iBuds right?

Yes. And they'll fit better / more consistently, too.

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleisgreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't recommend e2c's. I prefered both the ep630 and marshmallows over them.

Now ep630 vs marshmallow, with stock tips I'd say ep630, but if you buy a pack of e2c foamies and put them on the marshmallows I found the marhsmallows to be better.

How about the Sennheiser CX300? They look the same as the EP630 as well.

BTW, could e2c foamies fit on the ep630?

Feb 28, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #24 of 37
1) What's the verdict on the Vibes vs. the EP630, E2C, ER6i, UM1 in terms of SQ and isolation.

2) Also, what are the IEM's/canals in the $100 or below price range people here use?

3) Finally, what is the difference (apart from colour) between the E2C and E2G - they got different value ratings from HeadRoom.

Feb 28, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) What's the verdict on the Vibes vs. the EP630, E2C, ER6i, UM1 in terms of SQ and isolation.

2) Also, what are the IEM's/canals in the $100 or below price range people here use?

3) Finally, what is the difference (apart from colour) between the E2C and E2G - they got different value ratings from HeadRoom.

1) I'm not sure, I've only used the e2c out of the ones you mentioned.
2) I use super.fi 3's, I find that I get more clarity and cleaner bass (as opposed to the e2c's, which IMO, sounded muddy and the bass was a bit bloated)
3) Nothing, except for that the e2c is dual-tone (one earpiece is clear, the other is half-clear, half-black) and the e2g is all black and has a shorter cord. Soundwise, they should be the same.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #26 of 37
E2C vs. ER6i .... bassy, fun sound vs. neutral, reference sound

im not too sure what these terms mean and what i would prefer. basically i have used iBuds and the HD555. would you say these headphones have a "fun" sound or a "neutral reference" sound. i like the sound of the HD555 - basically looking for a $100 or under IEM (isolation is important) equivalent. Main uses: at home, travelling, gym, maybe planes.

Whats the verdict?

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:19 PM Post #27 of 37
I think Shure E2cs would sound similar to HD555 (for sure they are more "HD555 style" than ER6i: E2 have dynamic driver, ER6i have balanced armature). If you like HD555 sound, E2c will sound better than ER6i. However, if great isolation is needed, ER6i are the winner (E2 have good isolation, but ER6i offer the best isolation from uniwersal IEMs)

Mar 3, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #28 of 37
Ok, been doing some reading, researching...got a few more questions. Hope you guys can help
wink.gif

1) Does the ER6i have filters that need to be replaced every so often? And is this an expensive exercise? If so, then they are definitely not an option for me.

2) I'm basically down to these:
-Shure E2C
-UE super.fi 3

How does their SQ and isolation compare?

3) Jays d-jays look interesting, but there is not a lot of information about them. Likewise with the metro.fi - would this be an option? How do these two compare in terms of SQ and isolation to E2C and super.fi 3? Is there noticeable difference between the two UE models?

4) I don't want something that sticks out too much, so which one out of the E2C and the super.fi 3 sticks out LESS ie. would be more comfortable for say, sleeping on the side?

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:03 AM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofreak7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EP630

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back