Looking for engaging and/or analytical IEM for $100-$200
Mar 6, 2016 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

kylezo

100+ Head-Fier
Hey ya'll - 

I'm in the market for some new IEMs, around $100-$200USD. I previously owned Atrio M5 MG7s and JVC FXT90s, both which I loved. I especially loved the bass control on the M5s and the musicality and dynamics of the FXT90s, but I'm not averse to going for something a bit more analytical this time (lost the FXT90s to a scammer with year old account and a decent trade history here a while back). I have been out of the market for a good 2 years or so, so I'm a bit behind the curve, looking for any recommendations or commentary, here's what I've been looking at:

1. Could replace the FXT90s but I'd like to try something new
  2. GR07
  3. XBA-H1 
  4. RE-400 
  5. Rock It R-50

I don't have a decent source. I may look into an amp/dac possibly combo at some point but at this price point it makes no sense to spend 2-3x my iem cost on a component chain (maaaybe a combo dac/amp FiiO some day, until I'm rich and can afford luxury). It'd be plugged into my integrated mobo audio, my 3DS, my iPhone, you get the picture. I generally use my HD595s for watching movies and gaming but I do swap around sometimes for fun.

I would be using these for varied musical and media purposes - travel (although I can live with sub par isolation and have a lot of tips to play with), symphonic/musical theater, rock, jazz/pop, acoustic, etc. I prefer something with a nice, engaging, musical presentation with a nice soundstage and separation, but like I said, I wouldn't mind going more analytical/flat since that can be engaging as well. I really liked the musicality and dynamics of the FXT90, though.

Thanks for any thoughts or rec's :)

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 15
ATH-IM02.
Future Sonics G10 for neutral with enchanced bass.
JVC Fx850- not neutral at all, zero isolation, but you can land a used pair for this price and they are great.
I haven't heard but maybe Sony ex800st or 7550 (same thing), supposed to be a more neutral ex1000 which is one of my favs.

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 15
Have you looked at the MeeAudio Pinnacle P1? I've read some good reviews about it, but its at the top of your price range.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/mee-audio-pinnacle-p1-high-fidelity-audiophile-in-ear-headphones-with-detachable-cables

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 15
Yes, I've heard some good things too, and I considered putting it on my short list, but I haven't really heard enough to be wow'd to the point of really stretching my price range. Still a possibility, jury is out :) Honestly, the amount of "subsidized" reviews is really disconcerting. I already hate it on Amazon and I am really saddened to see it infecting Head-Fi. I don't care how unbiased someone claims to be. When you're getting a ~$225 product for free, you're biased. It's a terrible tactic. In any case, the P1 seems to be quite a good fit for me, so I'm definitely thinking about it. I'll admit to being worried a bit about the 50ohm rating on them, though! That's quite high for iems, about the same as my HD595s which id never plug into an iPhone 6s or a 3DS, haha. Adding an amp to that setup is definitely over my budget, but then again, it's been 2 1/2 years...:wink:

Having said all that, if anyone has some thoughts or comparisons b/t the MEE P1 and my other considerations, I'd be very interested to hear.

Thanks for the other ideas, I'll look into them.

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 15
Don't worry about 50 Ohms. Is it high for an IEM? Yes. But still perfectly driveable by any mobile device.

My Klipsch X7i is 50 Ohm. It runs fine on my Galaxy.

Mar 6, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #6 of 15
Appreciate your comments about the review process. It is very problematic to have people who are gifted hp also be reviewing those same hp. It is a classic conflict of interest. That said, you might also read about the Dunu DN-1000 and see what you think. It is a very musical IEM in your price range. Good luck with your search.

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 15
Yeah, 50 ohms isn't very high- sensitivity is the more relevant rating.

Mar 6, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for the rec on the Dunu, looks very interesting, definitely.

Anyone here actually heard the P1?

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #9 of 15
Well, I read the entire thread (all 487 posts) of the P1 and I must say I am impressed, although still the only 2 full official reviews on here are paid for by MEE. I must say though, the style of the body is reminiscent of the Atrio M5s (very similar shape) and I really appreciated those, very comfortable to wear and they fit my anatomy well. I am also drawn to what appears to be an exemplary package presentation. Since MEE apparently just got a new batch up and running in production, and has put the order form back on their site, I may bite on those. Having seen a deal where they were selling for $129 makes me pause though, haha. Still considering the Dunu, R50 and XBA H1 though. So any thoughts on those would be appreciated.

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 15
nvm

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #11 of 15
I don't necessarily disagree that biases are present regardless, but it's still a lot more disquieting when a company is putting out their product in exchange for reviews. I'll acquiesce that it's *less* offensive here than on Amazon at large, but it's still dishonorable in my opinion and colors the reviews undoubtedly, beyond the color they'd naturally have, as you fairly point out.

/e: whoops, post is gone, probably for the best as I'd love to get the thread back to helping me make up my mind (& my wallet, haha) :D

Mar 7, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 15
yeah, need to learn not to respond anytime I see something I disagree with- it's hard on the internet!  and rather off topic anyway
ph34r.gif

good luck finding something that suits you

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #13 of 15
I do own a re-400, it's very neutral. I enjoy it a lot :)

Also it's very comfortable, I highly recommend you that. 
beyersmile.png

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 15
I ahh...may have "accidentally" clicked "1-click purchase" button on the amazon listing for the P1 when it came back in stock today. So I guess that's what I'm going with 
etysmile.gif

Mar 21, 2016 at 2:59 PM Post #15 of 15
I own both the RHA MA750's and the MEE Audio Pinnacle P1's. I had the ma750's first, and am now breaking in the P1's.

For half the price the ma750's are really good. Warm, easy to drive, full-spacious sound and built very well. These are solid. Highs can be a bit silbilant on some songs, but not very often at all. And the longer I play them, the less this is apparent. Good separation, warm full sound, with a slight lack of deep bass which can be taken care of with a phone EQ. I use TuneShell on my 6+, and they are very good.

The P1's are still being broken in, but my initial listen was not nearly as good as the ma750's. That said, with less than 16hrs on them they are warming up into a fabulous pair. Overall a wider soundstage, which has the ability to draw you into an intimate music session. Separation of instruments is very good, but I will reserve more on that until about 50 hours. Bass right now is slightly less than the ma750's, but they are still new...can be overcome again with the phone EQ....A negative is that they are hard to drive. On my 6+, I was one notch shy of full bore with them brand new. On my Fiio x3ii+A3, they are quite fine, and wow...they sound good. Full, no problems with the highs, mids are coming through, after being a bit muddy initially. Puzzling to start, like a teasing date, which then blossoms into a full on relationship.

I use Comply's on both and am very happy with both pairs. The ma750's are less than half the price with a "scratch-n-dent new pair" from Amazon, but I really like both pairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back