Looking for "End Game" Amp/DAC
Jul 11, 2018 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Centropolis

100+ Head-Fier
I am planning to sell my speakers and integrated amp to go solely with a headphones system. I am looking for a "final" upgrade of my HP amp/DAC to get me to a point where I wouldn't think about upgrading for a while.

My current headphones setup:

Listening Room
CDs/Laptop -> Cambridge Audio DAC Magic -> Little Dot MKII -> HD600/DT880

Computer
Laptop -> Ultrasone Naos DAC or NuForce uDAC 2 -> HE-400i/Grado SR-60i/HD598/AKG K551

Bedroom
Cayin N3 -> Magni 2 -> DT880/HE-400i/HD598/Grado SR-60i/AKG K551

With the money I get after selling my speakers and amp, I think I will have about $800 to spend on a DAC/AMP combo that will will work in any of my setup but mainly to replace my Cambridge Audio DAC and Little Dot setup. Since I still listen to CDs, I will need a TOSLINK or Coaxial digital in. Any recommendation for a DAC/Amp for about $800 that will clearly out perform my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic with Little Dot MKII? I assume it won't be that hard.

I have been looking at Chord Mojo but that's more of a portable setup. Chord Hugo is out of my budget. Any recommendations?

Current Headphones Lineup: HD600, HE-400i, HD598, DT880 600 ohms, Grado SR-60i and AKG K551

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 4
With the money I get after selling my speakers and amp, I think I will have about $800 to spend on a DAC/AMP combo that will will work in any of my setup but mainly to replace my Cambridge Audio DAC and Little Dot setup. Since I still listen to CDs, I will need a TOSLINK or Coaxial digital in. Any recommendation for a DAC/Amp for about $800 that will clearly out perform my Cambridge Audio DAC Magic with Little Dot MKII? I assume it won't be that hard.

I have been looking at Chord Mojo but that's more of a portable setup. Chord Hugo is out of my budget. Any recommendations?

Current Headphones Lineup: HD600, HE-400i, HD598, DT880 600 ohms, Grado SR-60i and AKG K551

AudioGD NFB-28

Jul 11, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 4
The top of the line Schiit DAC and amp. Anything past that would be wasting money, at least on dynamics and planars.

Oh, sorry, didn't see the price limit. Just wait till the Schiit Mjolnir 3 comes out and get it. Then by the best DAC you can at some point. I figure since the magni 3 is supposed to be a lot better than the magni 2, then the Mjolnir 3 will be a ton better than the 2.

DAC are kinda like computers, they go out of date fast, so, I'd spend the money on the amp.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 4
A used Chord Hugo 1 would be my bet here.
After teh introduction of the Hugo 2, the Hugo 1 is being sold off new for below 1000 pounds now, so you should be able to get a used on at or close to 800$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back