Looking for earbuds comparable to the Klipsch S4s?
Feb 9, 2012 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AudioAficionado

Head-Fier
Hello reader,

I'm an audio- and electronics- enthusiast who is looking for a pair of IEM earbuds (in-ear earphones) that are NOT made my Klipsch, but rival the Klipsch S4s in sound quality. Also, I'd greatly appreciate it if the price is lower than $50. Some people say the Radius Atomic Bass II has good bass, but is it comparable to the S4s? (The Radius Atomic Bass II with Mic has a 3.5 star average for customer review on Amazon.com, therefore making me wary of buying them.)

Thanks,
Audio Aficionado

Feb 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 3
Look at the Meelec A151.

I had the S4's and I replaced them with the 151's and I couldn't be happier.  The A151's are a balanced armature IEM, and can be found under $50 these days.  When I got mine there were 80.

Things you'll note about the 151's
- The accessories (puts klipsch to shame)
- The cable (ditto)
- The sound - Notice the accurracy and detail of bass, combined with clear highs and an accurrate soundstage.  The A151s just happen to get it just right on each of these areas.  While it does not excel at any one area it does them all equally well across the board.
- NO microphonics

I think it is one of the best budget IEMs because of its middle of the road approach.  The combined package makes for a very fun and enjoyable listening experience.. I also think you'd have to spend upwards of 150-200 to found better all across the board.  This is however, my humble opinion.

Regards,

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Look at the Meelec A151.

I had the S4's and I replaced them with the 151's and I couldn't be happier.  The A151's are a balanced armature IEM, and can be found under $50 these days.  When I got mine there were 80.

Things you'll note about the 151's
- The accessories (puts klipsch to shame)
- The cable (ditto)
- The sound - Notice the accurracy and detail of bass, combined with clear highs and an accurrate soundstage.  The A151s just happen to get it just right on each of these areas.  While it does not excel at any one area it does them all equally well across the board.
- NO microphonics

I think it is one of the best budget IEMs because of its middle of the road approach.  The combined package makes for a very fun and enjoyable listening experience.. I also think you'd have to spend upwards of 150-200 to found better all across the board.  This is however, my humble opinion.

Regards,

Dear "localredhead":

Thanks for the response! I usually purchase my electronics through Amazon.com, but the price there is about $50 or $51 or so. Unfortunately, for earbuds, I cannot spend $50. I can afford $45, but $50 earbuds seem a little overkill sometimes... my S4s I bought for a lower price, too, so is there another location/seller you can point me to that sells the A151s for $45 or less? Or is there another IEM you could point me towards? Thanks!

Audio Aficionado

Users who are viewing this thread

Back