Looking for earbud alternatives, any ideas? Sony NWZ-W273s
Jun 29, 2013 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Falqon

Head-Fier
I realize that these aren't typical head-fi territory. (I own Grado's, Senns, Shures, and Ety's, but bear with me)

I enjoy these for working out because I hate wires, and these are waterproof. The problem is they advertise them for swimming but the tips themselves are absolute garbage. I would like to try something like my tri flanges or even foamies and see if I can actually get something to hold a seal underwater.

Anyway, they would have to be ~4.8mm wide and the extension that they slide over is 4.7mm long. I don't mind doing a little modding, but I don't see anything close in my limited collection. Any ideas?

Mar 11, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3 of 6
I found some triple flanges on ebay that fit, haven't had a chance to swim with them yet, maybe this weekend.

I honestly don't give a crap about the sound quality, so you'll want to post that in a different thread.  Anyone who is giving serious thought to the soundstage in the middle of a 12 mile run needs to speed up.
biggrin.gif
  Like I said, my main concern is underwater and in my experience if you can hear anything, that's a win.  In stock form, that's a negative.  The battery life is incredible, and they aren't kidding when they say it charges quick.

Mar 11, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeh I feel similarly. I think I'll grab these today, I won't be swimming with them (my wife might) but I will use them in the gym. I just wanted a quick comparison as to what to expect sound quality wise, if they were around the Sansa clip quality margin, or perhaps sounded better etc. But no worries, I'll find out for myself..

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 6
Good luck!  I think the popular thing for bloggers to write was that they lacked detail and over emphasized bass, but they are Sony so I think they could have written that before actually listening to them.  Like most IEM's the fit is the biggest factor to sound, I'm right between the medium and small size, so I like the triple flanges that I found, looking to try some foam as well.

Mar 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 6
I use large triple flange exclusively on every IEM I have owned, I can't find any other combo that fits as well, isolates as well and stays in place as well (and I literally have hundred of other tips lying around). Couldn't agree more regarding proper fit = proper sound. I'll keep you posted when I grab a pair later today :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back