Looking for ear plugs
Jan 21, 2009 at 9:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

GN85

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I always end up somewhere loud with friends, like club or pub, where speakers the size of my fridge blast the music so lout that you can literally feel it on your skin. I need some ear plugs, because, unlike everyone else frequenting these places, I don't really like the idea of suffering from hearing loss.

I'd also like to try some IEM (IE8) tip modding with these plugs.

The only other criterion is that I want something that's not too noticeable or ugly, since I'll be using them while going out.

Any suggestions?

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 3
Well, you could start with the Etymotic ER-20 earplugs. They have a flat response so they won't change the sound of the music too much. Pick your own colour, but I have no idea how far they'll stick out of your ears.

If you've got the cash, you could consider going for the custom-fit equivalent. The Etymotic ER-15/25 gives about 15dB or 25dB of attenuation. You'll have to go to an audiologist to get impressions taken. These are used by professional musicians and are considered by many to be the gold standard in musicians earplugs.

Not sure how much either of these will cost in Canada, but you should be able to find the ER-20 at your local musicians supply store. For the customs, ring around your local audiologists and see if they have had experience with musicians earplugs.

Personally, I've got the ER-15 earplugs (custom). When I wear them most people don't notice, especially in the dim lighting of most clubs/live music venues.

Hope this helps...

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 3
I was thinking more of foam, but I think the Etymotic plugs are worth considering. Only problem is that I never had any good fits with bi flange tips from UE or Sennheiser, so I'm not sure that the ER-20 for instance (tri flange) would fit my ear canals.

Anyone know how the tri flange Etymotic plugs/tips compare to bi flange tips used for IEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back