Looking for durable canalphones
Sep 19, 2005 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Super King

Head-Fier
Hi folks,

I bought Sony EX51's a while back since they were real cheap on Amazon and I needed something to replace my cheap Philips earbuds. I absolutely love how comfortable they are (sometimes I doze off while listening to music, and when I wake up I forget I'm wearing the 'phones), I love the noise cancelling, and the sound isn't bad either (much more clarity than my old earbuds, bass is a bit much for some music but then I just EQ it down). So, what's the problem?

It's the damn cheap wires. The left side wire has completely ripped off; in the meantime I've patched it with black electrical tape, but it still feels like it'll tear any minute, and it looks awful as well
biggrin.gif
. I am very hesitant to use them for portable use now because I don't want to completely cut the wire.

So what I'm looking for is some similar canalphones that have MUCH more durable wires (my Philips phones are still going strong after 6-7 years, and they cost under $5), so that they'll last awhile. Most important to me after that is comfort; the Sony's felt incredible using the small or medium covers, anything similar would be great. And yes, sound quality is bottom on the list
plainface.gif
I wouldn't mind something more balanced than the EX51's, but i'll pretty much take what I can get if the first two reqs are filled.

I've looked around and read opinons on options like the Shure E3c and the Sharp's, but its kinda hard to get a feel for something like durability from lots of reviews, hence this post. Thanks for the help.

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 9
I would definitely go with the e2c's. Ive had mine for a while now and I bring them to school all the time. They constantly get banged around. Not too long ago my mom didnt check my pockets before putting my shorts through the wash. After she told me she pulled a ball of wires out of my pockets when she was folding clothes, I panicked. Turns out after they dried they still work the same as before. I was very surprised. I would go with the e2c if u want tough canalphones.

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangs55
Avoid the ER's...the wires are super thin.

I've seen Etymotics that were many years old and still doing fine - tough wires. You could tie them to and lift a 10 + pound bag of potatoes if you wished.

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #6 of 9
Budget?

Out of all the IEM I've owned or used (and I've owned or used pretty much all of them, except for Westone) the Shure E5c are the indestructible ones. But my sense is that they're outside of your budget?

If we're talking under $200, I'd look at the Shure E2c, which has a very similar build to the Shure E5c. After that, UE super.fi's are pretty close. Thin wire, but it'd be tough to break them. Nice plastic housing, but I think there could be issues with where it's glued together (actually, I recall the Captain having his just come apart - but I don't think mine would).

Shure E4c or Shure E3c have a better wire than the super.fi's, but not convinced their pretty-boy housing can take as much damage (e.g., dragging on the ground if you don't notice they dropped out of your pocket).

Around $100, maybe the Panasonic RP-HJE70. But the cable's pretty thin. Honestly, at this point, other than the Shure E2c, I can't think of any phone that's particularly durable.

The wires on the Etys are fine - thin but I can't imagine breaking them. I think I'd be more worried if I accidentally stepped on the driver housing. It'd probably break on the Etys, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Shure E2c or E5c (and maybe the super.fi - depends on how you step on them) just shrug it off.

Best,

-Jason

Sep 19, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, forgot to mention it previously, my budget is under $100, so the Shure E2C is looking like a good choice after reading your comments. When comparing the E2C to the E3C, which one is more comfortable for wearing 'normally' (ie. not over the ear like I've seen the E3C being worn in pictures)? Is there even a difference?

Sep 19, 2005 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Budget?

Out of all the IEM I've owned or used (and I've owned or used pretty much all of them, except for Westone) the Shure E5c are the indestructible ones.

Yeah, no kidding, IIRC, Sugarfried said they'd hold like 50 lbs.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back